• Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BOWDEN
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 04 November 10 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Ash

You might also be interested in the following:

Naval History of Great Britain - Vol III
1805 Invasion Flotilla 307

Boulogne by Rear-admiral Lacrosse (since the death of Admiral Bruix, on the 19th of March, the commander-in-chief of the French flotilla), succeeded, after a while, in reaching Ambleteuse, the port of its destination.

On the 10th of June, at 7 a.m., a division of the French. flotilla, consisting of the two " corvettes-canonnières " Foudre, Capitaine de vaisseau Jacques-Felix-Emmanuel Hemelin, and Audacieuse, Lieutenant Dominique Roquebert, each mounting 10 guns (four or six long 18-pounders, the remainder brass 36-pounder carronades, with upwards of 80 men), four gun-vessels, of three long 24-pounders, and an 8-inch mortar each, three others of one 24-pounder and a field-piece each, eight others, of two 4 or 6 pounders, and 14 transports, in all 31 vessels, sailed from the port of Havre bound to Fécamp. By the time they had got abreast of Brunevel, the French vessels were chased by the British 12-pounder 36-gun frigate Chiffonne, Captain Charles Adam, who, with the ship-sloop Falcon, Captain George Sanders, gun-brig Clinker, Lieutenant Nisbet Glen, and the Frances hired armed cutter, was cruising off the coast.

At 9 h. 30 m. a.m. the Chiffonne, then in 10 fathoms' water considerably ahead of her companions, and close in with the flotilla opened her fire upon the van, where the Foudre had stationed herself ; but, in a quarter of an hour, shoaling her water, the frigate was compelled to haul further off. At 10h. 30 m. a.m. the frigate, followed by the sloop and gun-brig, recommenced firing. Shortly afterwards one of the French brigs caught fire, but succeeded in extinguishing it, and some of the other vessels ran on shore. Towards noon the Chiffonne, who had bore the brunt of this attack, again hauled out into deeper water. Shortly afterwards the van of the French flotilla ran close under the batteries of Cap-de-Caiset, until joined by the rearmost vessels, when they again bore up to proceed on their course. At 1 h. 30 m. p.m. the three British vessels again stood in, and at 2 p.m. recommenced firing. The Falcon presently became closely engaged with the two sternmost of the French brigs, one of which was the Audacieuse. As the British passed along the coast, the forts kept firing shells and shots at them without the smallest intermission : notwithstanding which the Chiffonne and Falcon continued the engagement, and at 3 h. 15 m. p.m. shot away a brig's fore topmast and then her mainmast. The Falcon and Clinker, not sailing by any means equal to the frigate, gradually dropped astern, and the flotilla sheltered themselves completely under Fécamp batteries ; but the latter did not until 4 h. 30 m. p.m. cease firing at the Chiffonne.

Several shot struck the Chiffonne in the hull, one of which entered between wind and water; and her rigging was also much cut. Her loss amounted to two men killed and three wounded. The Falcon suffered in rigging and sails, and had four men wounded ; the Clinker, one marine killed and one seaman

Martin

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 04 November 10 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Can you tell me if samuel s married and names of any children???

I am worjking on a "long shot"

I have found a Samuel of correct age different p.o.b. in most census

He was a coast guard

he married and I have found 6 children

so if you can give any more info i can post info or discount it

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ashleighn19

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 04 November 10 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Hey Suz,

From what I can gather Samuel and his wife Annie came out to Australia in 1863 and they had their children here. Im guessing that contradicts what you found though.

Ash
Names: Chesson, Williams, Blowes, Bowden, Bowman, Bray, Cooper, Crawford, James, Wellington, Wheton.

Locations: South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, Queensland, England, Scotland, Ireland

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 05 November 10 06:47 GMT (UK) »
yes it does - the only samuel S Bowden I could find was Samuel Solomon Bowden - b. c. 1828  but in Plymouth Devon

He married Sarah -but coincidence don't you think?

If your Samuel S didn't go to Aus until 1863 , he should at least show up in 1861???

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline ashleighn19

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 05 November 10 06:58 GMT (UK) »
yeah i guess you're right... never realised that he should be there in 1861...

I wonder why he isn't? If he was a sailor maybe he was overseas or something?

Names: Chesson, Williams, Blowes, Bowden, Bowman, Bray, Cooper, Crawford, James, Wellington, Wheton.

Locations: South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, Queensland, England, Scotland, Ireland

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 05 November 10 07:27 GMT (UK) »
Suz

I don't think you have the right Samuel, because this man remained a CG serving on the Isle of Wight in 1871, and is recorded as being on a pension in England in 1881.

Martin

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 05 November 10 08:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Martin,

I realised it was not the same Samuel -but it was the only one with middle initial S I could find.
But there were lots of coincidences -he was married in 1850 -and although the correct Samuel is with father and single in 1851 the other Samuel's wife Sarah is "Married" but living with parents !! I have Samuel Solomon on all census to 1901 -shame it's not him!!!

I can't find a marriage of Samuel S Bowden to Annie pre 1863???

A puzzle?

Suz

Offline suzanne2812

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Great, Great Granny Willoughby
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

Just a little bit of info, but Bowden is a West Devon name (my husband's cousin is married to one) & we have several in the family.

Regards Suzanne

Offline Dave Jones

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 02 December 10 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Hampshire Advertiser Saturday 4th December 1847
Deaths
On the 30th ult. at Brockhurst, near Gosport, Elizabeth the beloved wife of Lieutenant John Bowden R.N, aged 45.

Hampshire Advertiser Saturday 24th June 1848
Marriages
On the 20th instant, at Alverstoke Church, near Gosport, by the Rev. H.A Veck, incumbent at St. Johns, Forton, Mr. B Hobbs jun, brewer, Gosport, to Elizabeth, eldest daughter of Lieutenant John Bowden R.N.