Author Topic: any ideas on where Hutchison Square Parish of Dundonald was located?  (Read 8698 times)

Offline elinga

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My mum and dad circa 1946
    • View Profile
any ideas on where Hutchison Square Parish of Dundonald was located?
« on: Wednesday 03 November 10 11:22 GMT (UK) »
hi rootschatters
does anyone know where Hutchison Square would have been situated in Irvine in 1884.
I have an old map of Irvine but cannot find it but there are some landmarks, which may help me find its location!
am also trying to locate Boatslabs!
any offers of help woud be greatly appreciated!
regards
Elinga
Everyday is a school day !!!!

McCrory/McCrorie Orr and McCafferty , Northern Ireland
Orr, Adair, McCafferty,McCrorie and McCrory, Millar,Strachan, Lewis,Linn, Arnott, Scott,Kerr,McKinnon , Jeffrey or Jaffrey,Lambie, Findlay and Meechan Ayrshire Scotland.

Offline mervsthedaddy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: any ideas on where Hutchison Square Parish of Dundonald was located?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 January 13 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I see you posted this enquiry over 2 years ago so you may have the answer. I too am puzzled over this place name as an ancestor claimed on his wedding document in 1893 that he lived there. I have pored over maps and made numerous enquiries but I can find no reference to it in Irvine or anywhere else. Knowing that this particular relative was a bit of a scallywag I suspected a made up name until I saw your post, have you found it?
The name Boatstabs or Boatslabs (I've seen various spellings) was an area adjacent to the harbour near a now extinct slipway and was, as the name suggests, probably used to beach boats. I have an early map showing a single property called Boatslabs with an adjacent well. I have found an ancestor who in 1880 lived at no. 10 Boatstabs so the area became built upon over the years.
In 1922 the Council consolidated many street names in Irvine, so, Boatslabs, Peter Street and Gutheries Road became what is now Gottries Road.
Hope this helps.
I'm researching the Abercrombies from Ivine, by the way.
Merv.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 January 13 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elinga and Merv.

Welcome to Rootschat Merv  :)

I saw this entry on the Post Office 1896-7 Irvine Directory:

Hill Street, off Bridgegate
Hutchison's (or Lindsay's) Square
lnglis Land, off Fullarton St.
....etc.

http://archive.org/stream/postofficegene189697dire#page/104/mode/2up

Wondered if this would help in finding the property/land you are looking for.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 January 13 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Completely unscientific this!

From that 1896-7 directory and the names of householders given at the Hutchison/Lyndsay Square location. A Thomas Williamson and a Daniel Bradley both show as 'head of household' at 118 Harbour Street for 1901.

As I said, unscientific for sure  ;)

Maybe a better way...a Thomas Williamson (the same Thomas I think from 1901) shows in 1891 as living at 4 Hutchison Square. A check of the original image either side of this address might help with sorting out its location. I think I can see households 1-5 Hutchi/eson Sq. I can give you details of who lived at 1 or 5 if you do want to check the original image given that there are 69 entries in total for Hutschison Sq., let me know and I can list a household living at either 1 or 5 so you can check addresses at either side.

Regarding 1881, maybe this is where the reference of Hutchison or Lindsay Square comes in as I think it shows as Lindsay Square for 1881.

Monica

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 January 13 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi all  :)

1881 Census , Dundonald , Ayr
Pages 1 to 10 , addresses given -
Peter Street , Boatslabs , Lindsay Sq. , Cochrane Park

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 January 13 19:23 GMT (UK) »
That is great Ev, thank you  :)

Merv., with your maps and knowledge of the area (and previous reference to Boatslabs), can you figure it out?!

Monica

Offline mervsthedaddy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 January 13 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica and All, what a terrific document, I did not know that such a brilliant directory existed, what a mine of information! I've just found out that my relation who lived in Boatstobs operated a small shop from his home, and the adverts!!! This will keep me occupied for quite a while. I assume that this was the only year it was published as I cannot find another.
Yes, Hutchinsons Square (or Lindsay's Square) and Inglis Land are both off Fullarton Street. I'll have a look tomorrow at the census records but as the census was done on a street by street basis I don't think I'll be able to pin it down accurately, nor do I need to as knowing it did exist and it's general location is probably enough. Perhaps if I locate a more detailed map of that era.........but I'm curious now!
What I did notice was that there was a gap between nos. 49 and 57 Fullarton St. and Inglis Land (off Fullarton St.) was numbered 51 to 55 so it obviously slotted in there. Unfortunately there is no numbering for Hutchisons Square, but I'll have a look and let you know.
Great forum this, thanks very much for the information all.
Merv.

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 January 13 23:10 GMT (UK) »
http://maps.nls.uk/

If you check the digital OS maps at the National Library of Scotland

Ayr Sheet XV11.13 (Dundonald) Survey Date 1856 Pub 1860 there is an area off Fullarton Street that looks square and with formal planting trees shrubs etc. Poss. area marked 77

D
This post is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws. Unfortunately my preferred method of writing (Parker Quink on Basildon Bond) cannot be used.

Offline mervsthedaddy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 11 January 13 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi D. Thanks, had a look at it. Don't know what that is, it looks like a public garden doesn't it. Although I doubt if a public garden would be constructed in what was essentially a very poor working class area with a fair proportion of slum dwellings in Irvine in the 1860's. It may have been the garden of an earlier larger house that has been demolished. I have an 1819 map which seems to confirm this theory as the gap onto the street was filled by a building but gives no details of a garden only a long "back rigg" like the rest of the properties. It also shows the "lane", area 76, from the street to the river and the L shaped building to the south of the lane.
Area 78 looks a good bet though as it looks more lived in and it's closer to the Chemical works, he was a "chemical labourer". I'll have a go at the census later.
Thanks to All.   Merv