Author Topic: any ideas on where Hutchison Square Parish of Dundonald was located?  (Read 8695 times)

Offline mervsthedaddy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: any ideas on where Hutchison Square Parish of Dundonald was located?
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 29 January 13 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elinga,
My folks lived in the John St., Peter St., Harbour St. area and most worked in the chemical works.
My dad William was born in Friars Croft, moved to Scott Rd. and then to Rubie Cr. where he was married from in 1945. Not sure of the street number but I guess it was in the 20's and backed onto the railway line (now the southern approach road) So one way or the other the Abercrombies would have known the McCrories but I'm not familiar with the name, sorry.
Yes, you're right it is a very small world!
Merv.

Offline elinga

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My mum and dad circa 1946
    • View Profile
any ideas on where Hutchison Square Parish of Dundonald was located?
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 31 January 13 13:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Merv
my dad lived at 40 Rubie Crescent which was at the small square he married my mother in 1946 later they moved to McKinlay Crescent, where I lived as a child.
sounds to me they that would  make them born around the same time my dad was born in 26, so they likely went to the school together !
regards
Elinga
Everyday is a school day !!!!

McCrory/McCrorie Orr and McCafferty , Northern Ireland
Orr, Adair, McCafferty,McCrorie and McCrory, Millar,Strachan, Lewis,Linn, Arnott, Scott,Kerr,McKinnon , Jeffrey or Jaffrey,Lambie, Findlay and Meechan Ayrshire Scotland.

Offline mervsthedaddy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 31 January 13 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elinga,
I was guessing with the number in Rubie Cr. it was the side that backed onto the railway line.
My Dad was born in 1916 and married in 1945 and moved in with the in laws in Bank St. His brother Tommy and sister Margaret (born 1924 and 1927) were more of the same age so it's more that likely that they were pals.
Merv.

Offline elinga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 01 February 13 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi merv
from my memory the square was opposite a row of houses which  backed on to the railway.
but it was a small place and everyone knew one another.
is  your dads family still in Irvine.
I dont live in the UK , but try to get back every year, its much harder doing genealogy sometimes from afar, when you just want to speak to someone to help in the search.........lol
I am going back in May again and going to try again to find amongst other things where was Hutchson Square.
regards
Elinga

Orr, Adair, McCafferty,McCrorie and McCrory, Millar,Strachan, Lewis,Linn, Arnott, Scott,Kerr,McKinnon , Jeffrey or Jaffrey,Lambie, Findlay and Meechan Ayrshire Scotland.

Offline mervsthedaddy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 04 February 13 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elinga,
Drove down to Rubie Cr today to have a look. Dad and his family must have lived across from the square in the odd numbers. From what I remember from childhood memories it was near the middle of the block with lounge window on the left and door to the right. There was a neighbour and friend, Mrs. Woolahan, at the end of the block.
Still looking into the Hutchison Sq. and I've enlisted the help of a local historian who is also flummoxed but he's looking into it. When in May are you coming to Irvine?
Merv

Offline elinga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 06 February 13 10:43 GMT (UK) »
hi Merv
not sure exactly but will be staying with my sister for 2 weeks from the 13th May who lives in Prestwick.
btw I have recently been looking at an old school photo from my primary school days , went to Loudon and in my first class there was a girl called (*) Abercrombie is she related to you, if I remember correctly she stayed in Merryvale or Scott Road, although I might be wrong !

Elinga

Identifying details of people who may still be living deleted as part of RootsChat's guidelines in order to protect people's identity and privacy. Thank you.

Offline elinga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 20 February 13 18:43 GMT (UK) »
yes I know the rules , sorry got caught up in the conversation !

Offline Alexis King

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 10 February 18 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Hii I think I'm re!aged to this Abercrombie family!

Offline mervsthedaddy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 10 February 18 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alexis, what's your connection?
Hii I think I'm re!aged to this Abercrombie family!