Author Topic: John Burke b1838 Kings County  (Read 3279 times)

Offline Tineke

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Burke b1838 Kings County
« on: Wednesday 03 November 10 13:22 GMT (UK) »
I would appreciate any help in researching  my gg grandfather John Burke .I have family details from 1861 to present day but would like to trace furtherback . First found John Burke b c1838  Kings County in 1861 census Sheffield England  , John married Ann Bramhall  1864 had 4 sons Thomas ,1864  William Henry , 1868 , George  1870 & Hugh 1872 .
         Last documented 1881 census Sheffield .Wife Anne died 1882  . John remarried   Jane Woods  , returned to Ireland taking youngest son Hugh .They  lived at Lisgreen  Lorrha Co Tipperary  and were farmers  . John had 5 more children by 2nd marriage  Ellen ,James ,John ,Mary & Patrick  . John died 1895 & is buried at Lorrha .Wife Jane returned to England taking 2 youngest children to find work ,she died 1905 in England. Ellen brought her 2 siblings back to Ireland .I found the family in the 1901 census with half brother Hugh as head  , !911 census Hugh is on his own ,
                   I would like to find more about  John Burke b1838,he was born Kings County but it seems he lived in Lisgreen all the time he was in Ireland  . I think his father was William Burke but not  100% certain Any help  would be   greatley appreciated     Many thanks Tineke

Offline rwebb300

• RootsChat Extra
  • Bob with granddaughter
    • View Profile
Re: John Burke b1838 Kings County
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 January 15 02:49 GMT (UK) »
Where is Lisgreen?
MEARA, MEEHAN, COTTER, HANRAHAN, MORAN and TOBIN and variants of those surnames.

Offline Tineke

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 January 15 08:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello     Lisgreen is about 9 miles from Roscrea  . Since posting the original search I found recently that John Burke lived in Abbeyville on his return to Ireland . He died in 1901 a few weeks before the census .     1901 census has Hugh Burke   ( son ) and half  siblings  Ellen  , John , Mary and Patrick living in Abbeyville    James went to live with  his godparents in England.     In 1911 census Hugh is living alone  One census has spelling Bourke but it is the same family   Thank you Tineke

Offline rwebb300

• RootsChat Extra
  • Bob with granddaughter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 January 15 19:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tineke,

Thanks for the response! There is some good, additional information about the historical Lisgreen (or Liscurreen) area in/near the present Abbeville townland in the message string here.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=709745.new;topicseen#new

Bob

MEARA, MEEHAN, COTTER, HANRAHAN, MORAN and TOBIN and variants of those surnames.