Author Topic: Argyll research  (Read 32233 times)

Offline Glasvaar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Argyll research
« on: Wednesday 03 November 10 16:23 GMT (UK) »
I have just joined Rootschat, and as I live in Argyll, just outside Lochgilphead, I may be in a position to help with local enquiries, I have a website argyllancestors.com and carry out family history research.

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Argyll research
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Not a request for research, but a general question.  My rellies on my nans side came from around argyll, ayr, renfrew etc.
My nans grandmothers maiden name was Omay.  Do you know where I might find information on the origins of that family name/ does not seem to appear in any books, nothing on the internet and no clan information that I can find.
Donald Omay was the son of Katrine Malcolm Omay McIlchattan that is as far as I have managed to get.  It is frustrating not to be able to find anythingabout them a reference or bibliography, nothing!
Katrine for man I find unusual. His father was Malcolm too
marcie
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline Glasvaar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried doing a search on www. scotlandspeople.gov.uk, using the variation, that would pick up any anomalies in the name, if it was transcribed wrongly!
I must admit that I have never come across the name before, during all the years that I have carried out research in scotland

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 November 10 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Janet O'May married Alexander Smith I have all the family members up until Malcolm.  So that is not the problem.  I have also had a look on Argyll Family History Society, looked at the School photos and information. There were O'May family members there.
There is nothing on the internet to say where they came from. Nothing on Sp for Katrine or his wife' and their marriage.  I need a Scottish Historian!
marcie
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline Allan Mac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 November 10 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marcie!

just a wee snippit of info - although i now live in Oban, i did live in Campbeltown where i was a Police officer.  Anyway, i am aware that the family name O'May is not uncommon in the Campbeltown area with posssible ancestral links to Ireland.
Allan
MacDougall; Mac/McQueen; Gott: Ritchie; Cairns; Lindsay; Cranston;

Offline rory mac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 November 10 03:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Just the person I need!  My 4x great grandfather was born at Altgaltrig on the South Hall Estate, near Colintraive, Parish of Inverchaolain in 1744 and married in Greenock in 1774.
One of his brothers also married in Greenock in 1776.  I would like to know whether their Father Archibald McPherson was still living at Altgaltrig.  I believe
the Archives Office at Lochgilphead holds some rent lists for the South Hall Estate starting in 1775.  Could I request a search of the list for that year?  There were actually two Altgaltrigs - Altgaltrigmor(e) and Altgaltrigbeg does the list distinguish them?  Am also interested in knowing the names of other McPhersons appearing in the list. My 3x great grandmother was also an Inverchaolain McPherson!
Rod McPherson
Australia
Bolton, Dillon, Eagle, Flood, L'Estrange, Landers & Walpole in Ireland.  Mac/McPherson in Renfrew & Argyll.  Summers in Somerset

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 November 10 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Allan Mac,

My Smith family were of irish origins, and having seen a history program which covered the late 1798 when there was a slaughter, a massacre which was not supposed to take place but happened anyway. That is when a lot of irish left for Scotland, Canada and America.  The person who sent me the Gedcom which I am working with of my family told me that the O'May family were Scottish through and through and that she was not interested in my Irish family of Smiths.   I do not dispute whether they are Irish or scots, it does not bother me, but I am in search of the truth.  I have found no Clan association, with a slight exception of the Keith family.  No history to speak of past 1700. I would like to know where they came from and when they arrived in Scotland unless they came from the Islands prior to this.  Really intriqued.  And trying to find some reading material is really awkward. I have signed the Guest Book and left some information on my interests in the hope that someone in the family might contact me or leave a message.  Hopefully there is still someone alive connected to the tree other than the person I've already spoken to.
Marcie
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 13 November 10 23:43 GMT (UK) »
Argyll Research.  Its worth it.

I have found that the name Omay, Omey, etc. is a really Ancient Scottish Clan.  They were originally the Lairds of Keil, Kintyre where they held a family seat there for centuries. The first settlers moved from Scotland to North america was one Daniel Omey in 1732  They have a ancient family crest.
But the site is an american owned site so to obtain a crest would cost approx. $20
I found a site which I have added to my favourites called squidoo, holds a lot of information about all sorts of things including all scottish family and clann names.  Clann in Gaelic means children of the family.  I now want to find out about the Lairds of Keil and possibly write to Lord Lyon to see if there are any papers held about Malcolm Omay and Sarah McCallum fingers x'd that he does not mind.
marcie
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 15 November 10 15:00 GMT (UK) »
 I also found this: because of the copyright laws I cannot place the whole article here.  So have totally rephrased the part of the paper which is pertinent.
Lairds of Kintyre.  O’May

On march 14th 1874 there was an article taken from the Argyll Herald quoting a comment from Donald Shaw late tenant of Kiel who wrote, and I quote “The burial ground at Keil   was occupied by the   lowlanders of the parish Kilmaur , Ayrshire
Mr Ralston purchased    from Mr O’May the then Laird of Keil the burial grounds for the sum of 60 merks.  The ground had been part of the kail gardens, and attached to the houses that were situated near the old  road running passed the church of Keil, but which were demolished with their inhabitants who had died of bubonic plague,  and been buried by the ruins
There was also a note about a James Muir for those who may be looking for ancestors.

I now want to see how far back I can get to see when the name was first mentioned.  If it is proven
that they have always been there and did not move from anywhere else I think that is as much as can be achieved.  Have to go on to something else. Maybe tackle my smiths, or Laidlaw problem in Edinburgh.
 searl rogers sutherland