Author Topic: Argyll research  (Read 32235 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Argyll research
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 20 November 10 14:23 GMT (UK) »
You're right Alan, Somerled was half Norse. The DNA group "Niall of the Nine Hostages" is common to Donegal and Argyle, but the question is, did it move from Argyle to Ulster or vice versa, people have been crossing/recrossing the North Channel ever since God left Govan! It was no barrier but a highway. There is however no evidence of a displaced Pictish population.     skoosh.

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 20 November 10 16:14 GMT (UK) »
More reading then,  this is like a history lesson and loving every minute of it.  Good to observe other peoples views

marcie
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 20 November 10 21:49 GMT (UK) »
I found this site
macdonald.com
Apparently, like MacDougal, O'May according to them along with MacEarchran, etc are all septs of MacDonald.

Don't kill the messenger.  Differs slightly to other things I have read kbut very interesting.

marcie
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 20 November 10 22:12 GMT (UK) »
also further back to the Irish Catholic Saint Columba in the mid 500's in Iona.

Allan, not sure I can entirely agree with the premise that Columba was a Catholic, would be interested in what others have to say.     Columba and the Church of the Culdees that grew in Scotland were, as far as I am aware, catholic with a small 'c' but were certainly not part of the Church of Rome.   I'm sure others know more about them than I do - I can't even remember the 'Sunday name' for the Culdees at the moment.

When Margaret was escaping from England and the Norman Conquest immediately post-1066 she landed on the shores of Scotland.    King Malcolm was married at the time, with a family, but that didn't stop the redoubtable lady marrying him, putting down the Church of the country in which she had landed, putting her sons into the line of succession for the throne rather than the elder ones of the first family - and of course establishing the Roman Catholic Church in Scotland and pretty comprehensively destroying the Culdees in the process    That was a long long time after Columba. 
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline Allan Mac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 24 November 10 17:34 GMT (UK) »
OOOOHHH - MacDougall's are not a sept of any other clan.  As i have already highlighted,  Dougal was the oldest of Somerled's surviving sons from whom the clan MacDougall descends and as such can quite rightly claim to be the oldest clan.  The MacDonalds descend from Somerled's grandson (Somerled's second son Reginald's son).  All clans associated with Somerled come under the umbrella of the 'Somhairle' family.
The MacDougall's are one of Scotland's senior clans with dozens of septs associated to them.
You've got me going now!!!!  :-)

Allan Mac
MacDougall; Mac/McQueen; Gott: Ritchie; Cairns; Lindsay; Cranston;

Offline Allan Mac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 24 November 10 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maggie - you are quite right should have been small 'c' catholic, my apologies
Allan Mac
MacDougall; Mac/McQueen; Gott: Ritchie; Cairns; Lindsay; Cranston;

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 24 November 10 20:01 GMT (UK) »
 I never said that I believe it, just stated what I had read ::) The Argyll Historic mag. or kintyre
magazine or article, differs from Wikipediak but not by very much

I have always been up on the east coast, rarely visited the west coast, but one of the things I wish to do is find Hugh and Marys graves and also my 3xgrgrandfathers grave in Renfrew or Glasgow. You could say West meets east.  My nan and grandad summer hols at the beach me in background whilst very young.
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 30 November 10 14:07 GMT (UK) »
I found a long list of Omay names and dates, both in the Kintyre magazine iss 13 and also one of these one name research sites.  Whether they connect to my tree, I do not know.
Think it may be wise to raise another tree for these names until i can find a connection.

marcie
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 08 December 10 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Tried doing another tree, but without knowing parents names its a bit tricky, so will probably resort back to doing a spreadsheet instead.
 searl rogers sutherland