Author Topic: Argyll research  (Read 32234 times)

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Argyll research
« Reply #63 on: Tuesday 27 September 16 19:33 BST (UK) »
surely that would depend upon several possibilities,if he were in the forces, a convict or a pauper?what about checking the parishes? see where most were buried local work-houses etc.army barracks.there must be several indicators if he was in the forces which battalion was he in, were there any battles during that period, such as waterloo for instance.boer war?
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline wedgelee65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Argyll research - Gilchrist and McMillan
« Reply #64 on: Friday 04 August 17 09:13 BST (UK) »
Hi all - wondering if anyone has been researching the family of Archibald Gilchrist and Margaret (Peggy) McMillan who were married in Killean. Their son, William Gilchrist, became a successful printer and businessman in Glasgow (Kintyre Magazine article). I am trying to establish if Margaret McMillan was the daughter of Alexander McMillan (a smith) and Margaret Carmichael born Killean on 12 Mar 1787 but have been unable find a death record or burial place for her. Last record of Margaret Gilchrist (Gilchrest) was in the 1851 census where she was living with her son William in Gorbals, Lanarkshire but no sign of her so far in the 1861 census. Would appreciate any information or ideas.

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Argyll research
« Reply #65 on: Monday 04 September 17 19:08 BST (UK) »
 have gilchrist in my family tree related to my steele family and the lairds on isle of skye theres  a guy who looks after the books on families over there angusmcsweenor mcbain look him up in the ra;ston magazine theres a link there somewhere i think from memory he helped me find something years ago now he covers sky rum and one or two of the other islands, colonsay oronsay etc george the farmer lairds3rd cousin to william of orange by the way.
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline A Whiteford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Argyll research Smith, McDonald and an unknown from Ardnamurchan
« Reply #66 on: Monday 30 April 18 13:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Argyll researcher, if you are still assisting listers I would be very appreciative of any help.  John Smith (44) together with his wife Mary (40) and children Lachlan (18), Roderick (16), Hugh (14), George (12), Mary (10) and Margaret Flora (9.5) emigrated from Ardmamurchan arriving in Sydney Australia on the "George Fyfe" in January 1840.  The ship left from Weeping Springs on Mull. They were Catholics.  John's parents were John and Mary (McDonald), Mary's parents were Hugh and Catherine (surnames unknown).  John, his parents and Mary's parents are listed as farmers.  Lachlan is listed as a stockhand who could read and write.  His parents could not.
This information is from their Bounty documents on arrival in Sydney.  John was one of about 15 of the emigrants on the ship who signed (X'd) a letter  to the Captain of the "George Fyfe" giving thanks for the successful voyage.

I have used ScotlandsPeople extensively both online and when visiting Scotland searching for records as well as looking, now some years ago, at the IGI film records for Argyll and Inverness Shire through my FHS.  I checked OPRs and the Catholic Registers on ScotlandsPeople as well as emailing the Catholic Records people directly. I have had no success in finding any record of the family in Scotland and I did look for any of the children as well as their parents.  The family records in Australia only list Scotland as their birthplace.
I would be most grateful for any advice about other sources or any other assistance able to be provided.  Thanks Anne
Bouffier/Buffier (Germany), Brennan (Athlone Wmeath), Galvin (Innes, Clare), Mackay (Athlone, Wmeath), McGrath (Tyrone), Morton (Ayrshire) Smith (Blackwater Bridge, Cavan), Smith (Ardnamurchan Sco), Smythe (Dublin); Whiteford (Antrim & then Argyll), Wyl(l)ie (Ayrshire)