Author Topic: Jolley (Jolly) / Sadlier (Sadlier) family Croghan, Killapogge, Roscommon County  (Read 11292 times)

Offline Genieologist

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi,

I am a descendant of William Jollie (spelled Jolly/Jolley in Ireland) and Margaret Sadlier (Sadler) of Croghan, Killapogge, Roscommon County.

William was born about 1819 and Margaret was born 8 Aug 1841. William was married first to Annie. We don't know her maiden name.

Son James encouraged and helped his family members to immigrate to North Dakota where he was First Sergeant at Ft Totten and where he met his wife, Marie Belgarde, a member of the Turtle Mountain Tribe and who actually translated for Sitting Bull and Crazy Horse at some point. James was a "Winner of the West" and had his own story to tell. Their story is a very interesting one and is kept alive today by family members in ND.

My own ancestor, his sister, came over with another sister at age 16 and made their way to ND while other family members made their way separately. The family did leave some members behind and certainly there must have been other relations who stayed behind.

Some family members have been to Croghan and seemed to have identified the family hearth--a small cottage. In fact, as of the last reunion, they told us that they saw a picture of William and Margaret still in the home! I would like to see this for myself.

We know that they leased property from Guy Lloyd, the major landowner in the area, but we do not know much else except they were probably members of the C of I.

We would love to find information that would lead us to William's family and Margaret's as well as the identity of Annie, the first spouse.

We know that twins Kate and Emma were born 7 May 1873 and were buried in the Croghan, Killapogge area as infants. Their births were registered in the Ballinameen Registrar's District.

Brothers George (b. 1857) and William (1855-1885) were in the English service and it's not known if they were buried near home. George died in service. William didn't fare much better.

We would love to know where these family members are buried as well.

Hopefully, someone in the Croghan area itself or a local amateur historian will have other information to add as they read this.

Robert

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Levington House, Mullingar
    • View Profile
Re: Jolley (Jolly) / Sadlier (Sadlier) family Croghan, Killapogge, Roscommon County
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked the free on line Irish Census? There is a family of Sadliers in Croghan in 1901. Sadliers in 1911 still in Roscommon.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0a9y/

There are a few Jollys in Roscommon in 1901 and 19ll too.

PM

Moderator Comment: URL modified, as it was 'stretching' the screen
See tips here, to avoid this:
Topic: Shrinking Very Long Website Links / Topic: Post too W--I--D--E!

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Jolley (Jolly) / Sadlier (Sadlier) family Croghan, Killapogge, Roscommon County
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 19:25 GMT (UK) »
In Griffiths valuation c.1854:

Sadler            John               Enagh                     Killukin     Roscommon
Sadler            William            Enagh                     Killukin     Roscommon
Sadlier           John               Croghan                   Killukin     Roscommon

Enagh and Croghan are Townlands - Kilukin the Parish.

Forgot to say the Sadlier in the 1911 in croghan is C of I.

Maybe you have been down this route?

Might be useful to give info on what research you have done? PM

Offline Genieologist

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 November 10 03:34 GMT (UK) »
Wow!

What a quick response.

I did a quick look at your link and looked at the family in Croghan headed by Thomas and Kate. Thomas is a couple of years older than Margaret Sadlier, my person of interest. Thomas is almost certainly a brotherand the names of three of the children are identical or similar to Margaret's children.

Another fascinating bit of info is the age difference between husband and wife (62 and 46). Margaret was also very young compared to her husband William Jollie (Jolley/Jolly). This may mean nothing, but it may reflect mores of the time.

I had not been down this route before and was unaware of the online archival information. I had done quite a few searches in the past with no good leads. Kudos and thank you.

The Enagh reference is a bit unusual for me. I'm not sure exactly what it refers to. I think they say "townland/street" in the census. Very good stuff.

In general, I have not found a wealth of information on the residents in the area of Croghan. I did, like you found some references to Sadliers in Griffith's online info, but there's not a lot of context.

Thanks again for some great leads.

Robert

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 November 10 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi There,

If you go to the Irish Resources section of this site, you will find a lot of useful info about parishes and townlands.

When you get this kind of disparity in ages by husband and wife in ireland, there are two possibilities - it was not unusual for a man to marry someone much younger, for reasons to do with land and family. Quite often, a widower would marry a second time very quickly, for childcare reasons, and the second wife was often very young.

To put it simply, Enagh is part of a wider parish called Croghan, which wouldhave several other townlands. If you google "Sadlier + Enagh + Roscommon" you will see they are still farming there today. If you can't find it, I'll send you a link.

Do ask again if you need more help... or cant make sense of this townland business - but a letter to the living Sadliers might be your best short cut to the info you want !PM

Offline Genieologist

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 November 10 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pastmagic,

Thanks for all your great advice and suggestions. Sometimes, a person can't see the forest for the trees.

I found Jollys as well, but they seemed to Roman Catholic, which I wouldn't have expected. I expected C of I.

However, my ancestor who came to America with her sister at age 16
married RC, so I wouldn't be surprised that this happened with the parents as well. I do seem to remember that the Catholic Church in Croghan was dual-purpose and was used for C of I services too. So, maybe folks in Croghan weren't rigid with regard to their religious views.

Her brother James Jollie also married RC in America, so we know the family could not have been too rigid.

The folks in Croghan may be able to enlighten those of us who know little about their history in this regard.

There's no need to add to this thread at this time, Past Magic. Your help is very much appreciated.

Robert

Offline dave-at-london

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 August 15 20:08 BST (UK) »
Hunting the web for Sadlier Croghan I came upon this. I have just found out my great grandmother's maiden name was Mary Sadlier and she is listed in the 1901 census as being born in Croghan. 52 years old at the time, so date of birth likely 1849 (in the midst of the famine). Does this tie in with any of the information available to you? She was C of I, and married a James McKay Smith of Bray. She was not married in Bray, so this is another problem to resolve. Any pointers would be of interest.