Author Topic: Jolley (Jolly) / Sadlier (Sadlier) family Croghan, Killapogge, Roscommon County  (Read 11325 times)

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Offline dave-at-london

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Jolley (Jolly) / Sadlier (Sadlier) family Croghan, Killapogge, Roscommon County
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 06 August 15 14:55 BST (UK) »
It sure is - everything matches - we knew he didn't get married in Bray, and Dublin would have been a best guess. They did move back to Bray, where all their 9 children were born between 1868 and 1885. Many thanks for this. I note info as well on Rebecca, which interestingly was also the name she gave one of her 7 daughters born 1874. Very many thanks - and now I know her father's name, there is another hint to follow. Brilliant !!!

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jolley (Jolly) / Sadlier (Sadlier) family Croghan, Killapogge, Roscommon County
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 06 August 15 16:49 BST (UK) »
wonder could her mother be Rebecca

Offline dave-at-london

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 06 August 15 17:31 BST (UK) »
Interesting thought about Rebecca. They did recycle names a lot, at least in the Bray family. Mary's first daughter was also Mary, her second was Elizabeth (after her paternal grandmother), third was Jane (after a paternal aunt), then Rebecca who died young in 1880, then Margaret (no antecedant that I am aware of), then Constance Eva Rebecca (the Rebecca likely being a nostalgic throw-back to her sister who died the year before she was born, and who appears as Rebecca in the 1901 and 1911 censuses), and finally Anne Alice (after another paternal aunt). As to the boys, I am aware of five different Samuels, four different Williams and four different James, two of whom had the middle name McKay. all of which makes for a very confusing family tree - then add to that most of them had the last name Smith. Sadlier is a nice change.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 10 August 15 17:55 BST (UK) »
may help with your research
Alfred Charters and Ada Warburton
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01fvq/

Rebecca Charters born Sadlier
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01fvr/

Offline dave-at-london

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 10 August 15 19:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the leads. I would be very interested if you could give me leads going backwards to Mary's and Rebecca's father (James, a tenant farmer, very likely a tenant of Guy Lloyd who I have found in Burkes Peerage) in Croghan, Co Roscommon. Mary was born c1849 in Croghan. So far that search has not yielded fruit. I'm thinking that the records are very sparse, but then I'm no expert at this.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 10 August 15 21:13 BST (UK) »
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/#

Tenant   James Sadlier  year 1858
Landlord   Hugh East
Parish  Kilronan
Townland  Alderford
Place name   Village of Ballyfarnan

http://www.libraryireland.com/topog/B/Ballyfarnon-Boyle-Roscommon.php

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline dave-at-london

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 14:55 BST (UK) »
Obviously I have been looking in the wrong places, but given the very few times I have come across the name James Sadlier, both of these seem possible. Thank you.