Author Topic: Llanfihangel Nant Bran, Pugh, Memorial Tablet  (Read 10114 times)

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Rootschat and the Library of Wales..... Superb!
    • View Profile
Re: Llanfihangel Nant Bran, Pugh, Memorial Tablet
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 24 March 11 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello Kayzee,
So it's spring again in Canada, as well as in Wales! I appreciate the information on Evan, David, and Thomas who were definitely members of my family. I don't know who remained in the village after about 1850. My immediate ancestor moved to Llangorse in about 1830. I have all of his descendants traced to about 1911. We ended up in Vancouver!
It has been very interesting learning (for the first time) of the history of Wales in the 1800s. but the period of 1700 - 1800 is like the "dark ages" in terms of local history.
Do you know of any local accounts of the history of the village. If so, I would like to get a copy. Maybe I can find a relative there after all!
Please give my regards to the owners of the Granary and the Malt House. I have seen their web site, and they have done a superb job of renovation. Pity the Three Horseshoes connection hasn't prevailed, although it is clearly marked on one of the OS maps.
If you have the time, and inclination, I would like to confirm some of the births and marriages. In particular, the birth of Elizabeth Powell about 1836, and who her parents were. She married my g-grandfather in 1860. Also, I am interested in confirmation that Samuel Pugh married Margaret Williams in the CM Chapel at Ll.N.B. in 1824. He was my gg-grandfather.
My very best wishes and thanks for your replies.
Llanfi
 ;) ;) ;)
Pugh, Powell, Williams, Maddox, Prosser

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 27 April 11 19:59 BST (UK) »
Hello Kayzee,

I hope you had a very pleasant Easter Break!

I found Elizabeth Powell's baptism in the Church records at Llandeilo'r Fan, thanks to the help of the Library of Wales. She was the daughter of Thomas Powell and Esther Griffith, and was baptised on November 9 1936. I now have good records of my family back to Thomas Pugh's baptism in LLanfihangel Nant Bran in 1714. His father's name was Thomas Pugh and his wife was Elizabeth, so I am searching for a Thomas Pugh born around 1690.

For the record, my earliest ancestor in LlnB (Bishop's Transcripts) was Thomas Pugh, born  Llanfihangel Nant Bran September 13 1714 to "Thoma Pugh and Elizabetha uxe" There was a Thomas Pugh buried there in the 2nd of February 1728, and  "Elizabetha Pugh uxor Thoma Pugh" was buried 6 December 1723.

I haven't been able to go further back than this. My remaining clue is a reference to Thomas Pugh and Elinor being prosecuted in 1687 in Brecon. They lived in Llywell, the parish next to Llanfihangel Nant Bran. I am sending  details from the document on the Internet in the hope that someone might connect them with my family... I would also like to know what happened to them.

Here is the web address for the reference:

http://www.archive.org/stream/historicalmemora01lloyuoft/historicalmemora01lloyuoft_djvu.txt

My edit: "At the General Session of the Peace of our Lord the King, held at Brecon, in and for
the same county, on the 12th day of January 1687, in the 1st year of James of Scotland, now of
England. Before etc., and other justices for preserving the peace in the same county.

" THE FOLLOWING WERE PRESENTED FOR NOT COMING TO CHURCH FOR THREE SUNDAYS
LAST PAST, NAMELY :
Parish of Llywell. Thomas Pugh and Elinor uxor ejus (His wife)"

(There were many others brought to court in Brecon for the same offence on that date)

Best regards!

Llanfi :) :) :)

Offline Kayzee

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 28 April 11 11:31 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   Thank you for the update. I'm sorry I have not been back in touch re Elizabeth Powell, but I have not had a chance to look into it at all. However, you appear to have done very well yourself. I have a very busy few days ahead yet & no time to get my head around your finds at the minute, but will hopefully look at it in the next few weeks & will certainly get back to you before I visit the archives next - hopefully within the next month - fingers crossed.
Alsop/allsop,Debanks,Pidock, Nevill, Milward,Loxley,Holmes,Wall,Garton,Lowe,Shepherd,Lintott

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 13 June 11 03:10 BST (UK) »
Hello all!

I thought I would post all the names of the people brought to court in Brecon

[Page 10 of the County Quarter Sessions book of Orders, Vol. 1. From 1686 to
5th October, 1713.]

" THE FOLLOWING WERE PRESENTED FOR NOT COMING TO CHURCH FOR THREE SUNDAYS
LAST PAST, NAMELY :

Penderyn. John Thomas, Elinor Thomss, John Lewis, David Thomas, Thomas Lewis For the above offence.

Pro consimili (For the like)
Llywell. Thomas Pugh and Elinor uxor ejus (His wife)

Llangynidr. Thomas Prosser Howell, de Llangynidr ; Thomas John
William, de eadem ; Evanus Powell, et Maria uxor ejus ; Ludovicus
Prytherch, Thomas David, et Maria uxor ejus ; John David,
Thomas Williams, Anna Watkins, Thomas Prosser, et Margaretta,
uxor ejus ; William John et Jana, uxor ejus, Anna Price, Thomas '
Prosser, et Jana, uxor ejus ; Thomas John Walter, et Jana uxor
ejus, Thomas William et uxor, William Watkin de eadem, Matilda
Edmund, Matilda James, Maria, uxor Jenkm Lewis, Evanus John . . .

Thanks
Llanfi
 :) :) :)

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 16 November 11 09:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello again;

I searched the Llandeilo'r Fan and Llanfihangel Nant Bran Hearth Tax records for the 1660's and found no Pughs or Ap Hughs there at all. I assume this means that they were living somehwere else in those times.

There are lots of Pugh families in Wales, and I would like to know if anyone has a record of Thomas Pugh and wife Elizabeth, married about 1712... They had a son Thomas in Llanfihangel Nant Bran in 1714.

:) :) :)
Llanfi

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 25 June 14 04:18 BST (UK) »
To Kayzee,

Hi!

I have done a bit more research and found from the tithe maps that the Three Horseshoes was right across the road from the Church. I also found that three generations of LlnB Pughs were Church people, based on two Thomas's as Churchwardens, and David the most recent (1826). I found two distinct Pugh families at Merthyr Cynog around 1700. One family was quite well off and were famous non-conformists. One of the was Thomas John Pugh. The other family was associated with the Church there, Hugh Bevan, Thomas Pugh, John Pugh and they might be related somehow. There were Pugh families in Llandeilo'r Fan, Maesmynis, Llangamarch, Aberyscir, Battle, and Builth. I haven't found a connection with any of them to the LlNB Pughs.
One of these days I will write a short account of the families in LlnB, but not just yet..
Hope the summer is nice and warm over there...
Cheers,
Llanfi

Offline Kayzee

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 27 June 14 12:52 BST (UK) »
Pleased to hear that you are making progress - your post might also spark interest from someone connected to your family.
Good luck with future research,
Kay
Alsop/allsop,Debanks,Pidock, Nevill, Milward,Loxley,Holmes,Wall,Garton,Lowe,Shepherd,Lintott