Author Topic: Funeral Directors and the Privacy Act  (Read 20006 times)

Offline lil growler

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Funeral Directors and the Privacy Act
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 05 May 11 03:11 BST (UK) »
Yes, I can accept that Andy...I just haven't actually got any living ones on the records for my family except for a more recent death for an immediate family member. The people may have been living at the time of death but when I've got a round to the records, they all had passed away, just didn't cross my mind.

As they say, the records are not public. In truth this is the only Funeral Directors that have given me any resistance, for my own and on behalf of others. Anyhow, since they think I'm supposedly acting on behalf of a friend I have now asked which form of communication would be suitable for my friend to contact them to prevent any further confusion and doubt:)

lil

Ireland, Scotland , England, America, Australia, New Zealand

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 05 May 11 03:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Lil

One thing I've noticed is that more sources of information, such as Funeral directors, are being mentioned on various forums and do wonder if the number of enquiries they are getting are increasing. My working background was Payroll and Human Recources and am aware of the time it can take to extract information regarding former employees for example. When I was working it was rare to get a request from anyone other than a former employee themselves or a government department, anyone else enquiring was refused. A former collegue still in HR was telling me that requests from others about former employees were increasing. He said that it has to be exceptional circumstances before they would even consider the request.

I suspect that in time more and more of these alternate sources are going to be less helpful after all time is money.

Andy

Offline lil growler

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 05 May 11 03:45 BST (UK) »
Andy

I suspect you are right about the funeral directors being less willing to help in the future. And I am consciously aware of the time factor to look the information up and am very grateful for the help, as the records have been a wonderful source of information. In truth we are not as important as existing family's needs for the death of a loved one.

lil

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 05 May 11 07:04 BST (UK) »
I think that funeral directors vary greatly in what they provide..don't you find this ???
 Althea

Some funeral directors in Queensland and NSW at least have made their records available for local FH Societies to index.

On the other hand ... I once sent a sympathy card to a family c/- the funeral director with a "please forward' on the envelope, and it came back to me as 'address unknown' - they hadn't even bothered to consult their files, obviously!

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline lil growler

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 06 May 11 11:21 BST (UK) »
Have had a reply from the funeral directors tonight, out of respect she has provided me with information on the person I was inquiring about, as well as family details. A bit of advise given that I need to be specific next time I need information.  I can live with that ;D

lil

Offline Malkie Bob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 16 March 12 00:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

If you have the cemetery entry,it pays to cut and paste it in your email to the FD

Malkie Bob

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 16 March 12 04:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Malkie Bob ;)

Welcome to Rootschat.    If you post two more times, then you can will be able to use the PM system.

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Malkie Bob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 16 March 12 05:00 GMT (UK) »
Thank you,KHP

Will do

Malkie Bob