Author Topic: Sandilands, Peeblesshire  (Read 5001 times)

Offline Eleesavet

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sandilands, Peeblesshire
« on: Thursday 04 November 10 05:48 GMT (UK) »
Can't find OPR entry for Alexander Sandilands born circa 1808.  According to a census he was born Broughton, Peeblesshire,  and his death certificate gives his parents as Adam Sandilands and Elizabeth Dickson.

There are OPR entries for Adam and Elizabeth's children from 1796 to 1814 in different areas of Peeblesshire, but there is a gap between 1799 and 1809.   Are the records missing between 1799 and 1809?  I know it wasn't compulsory to register births pre-1854 but, if Adam and Elizabeth are the right parents, I wonder why they would not register Alexander. 

Because I can't find an OPR entry for Alexander, I'm not 100% sure that Adam and Elizabeth (Betty/Isabel) are his parents.

I have been in contact with others researching these families, and checked out related family trees, and looked at censuses, but can find no further proof.  The only proof I have is Alexander's death certificate and to a lesser degree the names he gave his children.

Alexander married Elizabeth Rule and they followed the traditional naming pattern when naming their children, with the exception of their second daughter, who was named Grace.  Their third daughter was given the name Elizabeth.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.  Perhaps somebody out there can find the relevant OPR entry.  Fingers crossed.

Regards.
Liz

Perthshire: MacArthur, Whittet, Mill (Milne), Alexander, Shaw, Pearson, Henderson, Rennie, Comrie, Braid, Ritchie, Roy, MacKillop, Keill, Cumming, Taylor, Marshall, Young, Miller, MacVicar, Murray, Cameron, Croll, Christie, Gloag, Gorrie, Stobbie, Lunnan, Thomson, Crerar, Hepburn.
Dundee: Mill (Milne).
Aberdeen: Mill (Milne).
Skye: MacIntosh, Stewart, MacQueen, Matheson, Morrison, Nicholson, MacLeod, Finlayson.
Peebles: Dickson, Sandilands, Rule, Johnstone.
Edinburgh: Thomson, Sandilands.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Sharon01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Sandilands, Peeblesshire
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 November 10 07:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Don't know if you have this so will post anyway.

Adam Sandilands married Elizabeth Dickson on 05 Nov 1796 at Drumelzier,Peebles,Scotland.

Sharon
Fagan/England/Ireland
Aldridge/London
Sills/London/Kent
Hartwell/London
Salkeld/Cumberland/Northumberland
Robinson/London
Stewart/Ireland/Scotland/England

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Eleesavet

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 November 10 07:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sharon,

Thank you for taking the time to post marriage date.  I had previously found it.

Liz
Perthshire: MacArthur, Whittet, Mill (Milne), Alexander, Shaw, Pearson, Henderson, Rennie, Comrie, Braid, Ritchie, Roy, MacKillop, Keill, Cumming, Taylor, Marshall, Young, Miller, MacVicar, Murray, Cameron, Croll, Christie, Gloag, Gorrie, Stobbie, Lunnan, Thomson, Crerar, Hepburn.
Skye: MacIntosh, Stewart, MacQueen, Matheson, Morrison, Nicholson, MacLeod, Finlayson.

Offline SueSandi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 June 15 05:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Liz
Nice to make contact again and good to see you are still searching on the Sandilands line.  I visited Broughton village, Scotland last year staying at a B&B in Kilbucho and found the house where Adam & Elizabeth Sandilands were living in the 1851 Census and I have a photo if you are interested.

From the different Census results your Alexander is listed as being born 1808 in:
1841 Census Alexa Sandeland born Scotland
1861 Census born Killbucky, Peebles
1871 Census born Kilbucho, Perthshire
The correct naming of this place is Kilbucho, Peeblesshire, Scotland.

Perhaps getting a film from Family Search for Kilbucho Parish around 1808 my reveal a baptism.

His parents Adam & Elizabeth were living in these areas for baptisms of other children so those parishes could also be searched.

3 Dec 1796 Drumelzier, Peeblesshire, Scotland Son -Thomas Baptism
3 Apr 1799 Innerleithen, Peeblesshire, Scotland Ploughman in Kirkland (from William's Birth notice)
1806 West Linton, Peeblesshire, Scotland From Daughter Helen's birthplace.
1808 Kilbucho Peeblesshire Scotland from Alexander's birthplace from 1861 Census
26 May 1809 Lyne and Megget, Peeblesshire, Scotland Ploughman in Lyne (from Adam's Birth notice)
1811 Lyne and Megget, Peeblesshire, Scotland Servant in Lyne (from George's birth notice)
1814 Lyne and Megget, Peeblesshire, Scotland Servant in Lyne, Isabel(?) Dickson his wife (from Walter's birth notice)

Good luck and the search continues.....

Sue in Australia (descendant of Alexander's youngest brother Walter)

Offline Eleesavet

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 June 15 16:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,

Sorry to take so long to get back to you and to say thank you for the information you gave me.  I would love to see the home of Adam and Elizabeth Sandilands.  I will send you a private message with my email address and perhaps you can email a photo of their home.  If you are unable to, it will not matter.

Although still interested in family research,  I'm not searching as much.  It's good when someone makes contact with me re my family tree as it revives my interest.

Thanks again and I wish you lots of success with your research.

Liz