Author Topic: Very Old Crypt  (Read 5684 times)

Offline Jamieson

• RootsChat Member
  • Have camera can travel
    • View Profile
Very Old Crypt
« on: Thursday 04 November 10 17:43 GMT (UK) »
I came across this very old crypt and thought I would upload the photo for interest only. Any info?

Also in the same cemetary are the tombs of Robert Burns' ancestors, also photographed.

From Glenbervie old cemetery behind Macphie of Glenbervie.

Aberdeen Aberdeenshire Fyvie Drumoak Dalmaik Peterculter Birse Strachan Aboyne Huntly Banchory-Devenick  -  Jamieson Greig Forbes Tobin Gillespie Cheyne Thompson Donaldson Luke Mark Maitland Findlay Silver Bannerman McDonald

Offline Rufous Treecreeper

• RootsChat Senior
  • My lovely Granny 1909 to 2017
    • View Profile
Re: Very Old Crypt
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 January 15 08:22 GMT (UK) »
Looks like a tomb of the Douglas of Glenbervie family, who came to the property through marriage to  Elizabeth Auchinleck, heiress of Glenbervie, circa 1500.
Best (Sussex/Australia)
Brown (Kent/Australia)
Milbourne (Australia)
Orr (Renfrew/Fife/Australia)
Livingstone, Bryson, Hutton (Hamilton, Lanark)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 January 15 10:18 GMT (UK) »
Ineresting stuff, s nice wee start to the New Year. I believe Burns forefathers supported the Jacobite cause. He visited his relations on his Highland jaunt and no doubt visited this spot.

Skoosh.

Offline Wolseley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 February 15 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Burns did state that his ancestors were Jacobites, however, it is evident that Burns did not know a great deal about his ancestors.  He maintained his grandfather and granduncles , as tenants of the Earl Marischal, followed their lord to the battle field.  The problem with this story is that Robert and George Burnes did not occupy those farms until after 1721 by which time the Earl Marischal's lands were administered by a tacksman for the government. As for the '45, Robert Burnes was almost bankrupted after wards, but the reason for this was the misfortune of John Duncan, Burnes's successor at Clochnahill.  He owed Burnes money after taking over the farm but was financially ruined after the Prince's party plundered his crops and he was unable to pay his debts.

Burns probably believed that his family were out in the '15 and the '45, but it is unlikely that they were involved.  Was Burns a Jacobite - not really - more like a Jacobin.

I am getting back into family history research after a break of over 10 years and there is a lot to organise before I can move forward.  I did make quite a few copies and notes from documents concerning Burns (in case you are wondering why, I am a descendant of the poet's grandfather, but not of Burns himself), and a number of them discuss the Jacobite question.  I might add to this brief note once I have everything in order.
Jarron, Marr, Christie, Candy, Addison, Spence, Mitchell, Mollison, Calder, Duffus, Silver, Burness, Falconer

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 February 15 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Interesting connection Wolseley, Ayrshire being probably the least Jacobite of Scotland's counties, as regards recruits, Burn's father probably just kept schtum as to family history. The area suffered during the imposition of the Highland Host and Charlie was probably not as Bonnie there as he was regarded in Kincardineshire.  ;D

Skoosh.