Author Topic: FEWELL Family  (Read 80543 times)

Offline julied

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
FEWELL Family
« on: Tuesday 01 June 04 06:57 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone, looking for any info re William Fewell/Fuel b abt 1745 Great Waltham, marr Margaret Twinn 1768, Felsted.  Anything at all on them or their descendants will be greatly appreciated.  Have some info but have hit a brick wall.  
cheers, Julie  :)
AGNEW - BENTLEY -  BUCHANAN - CAMERON - CHEATER - CRAIG - DAVIS - GALBRAITH - HOLE - JONES - KENMUIR - KENNEDY-  LEATE - LILLEY - McWILLIAM - MILNE - ROWLANDS - SAUNDERS - SKERRATT - TODD
AUSTEN - BALDRY - BARLOW - BEALE - BRIMLEY - BRUTNALL -  BUTLIN - CHILD - CHILDS - EVERITT - FEWELL -  FITZGERALD - GOOLD - GOSPER -  - HIPWELL - HUBBARD - LEWIS - MARSDEN - PERRIN - RAYNER - REYNOLDS - STERLING - STEVENS - TWIN - TURNER - WANT- WILSON - WORTON

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re:Fewell
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 June 04 02:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie, great to find someone researching the same Fewell line, I am also researching William Fewell, I hadn't located his marriage yet although I had found a lead pointing to Felsted.  I have found four children of William and Margaret so far, no doubt there are others out there somewhere, all four baptised in Gt Waltham.
William Fewell 24 Jan 1779.
Melly Fuel 18 Jun 1786.
Samuel Fuel 1 Mar 1789.
Sophia Fuel 15 May 1791.  Sophia is my ancestor, she married into my Searles line.

Whilst over in the UK in 2002 I found purely by chance the following baptism in the Felsted PRs, William Fewell baptised 5 Feb 1744, parents William and Hannah.  Unfortunately at that point my time in the UK was up so I was unable to check if he married or was buried at Felsted.  

Do you have the full date of his marriage to Margaret Twinn in 1768 and was the info from Parish Registers ?  

Do you have any details of William and Margaret's children ?

Hope the info is of use to you, all being well I will be in Essex later this year and intend to follow up on this family.  :)  

Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline julied

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 June 04 07:14 BST (UK) »
Hello findem, I'm sorry but I started to reply to your message the other day and ended up getting sidetracked on another family member and never got back to it.  None of my info is from Parish registers unfortunately.  A lot of it has come from other Fewell family members I have come across in the UK while doing this genealogy stuff.  [My hubbies line comes down from Samuel by the way].  Here's what I have re children of William Fewell and Margaret Twinn.
Mary Ann   chr 17.03.1776 Great Waltham, Essex marr James Rumsey 1800.
William  chr 24.01.1779 Great Waltham.
James  chr 26.10.1783 Great Waltham marr Anne Perrin 20.04.1804 Moreton, Essex.
Molly [?Melly] chr 18.06.1786 Great Waltham.
Samuel  chr 01.03.1789 Great Waltham, died 1865 Chignall St James marr Sophia Childs 1809 Chignall St James.
John  b abt 1790 marr Mary Ruffle 10.08.1812 Chignall St James.
Sophia  chr 15.05.1791 Great Waltham marr Thomas Searle 14.11.1809 Great Waltham.
Unfortunately I have no other info on them at this time but will keep on searching.
How great to actually be in Essex to do the research, must make all this a lot easier.
Bye for now and pls stay in touch,
Julie  :)

AGNEW - BENTLEY -  BUCHANAN - CAMERON - CHEATER - CRAIG - DAVIS - GALBRAITH - HOLE - JONES - KENMUIR - KENNEDY-  LEATE - LILLEY - McWILLIAM - MILNE - ROWLANDS - SAUNDERS - SKERRATT - TODD
AUSTEN - BALDRY - BARLOW - BEALE - BRIMLEY - BRUTNALL -  BUTLIN - CHILD - CHILDS - EVERITT - FEWELL -  FITZGERALD - GOOLD - GOSPER -  - HIPWELL - HUBBARD - LEWIS - MARSDEN - PERRIN - RAYNER - REYNOLDS - STERLING - STEVENS - TWIN - TURNER - WANT- WILSON - WORTON

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 June 04 02:58 BST (UK) »
Yes I will keep in touch.  I have contacted a friend who has some of the Felsted PRs on fiche, to see if he can locate the 1768 marriage of William Fewell and Margaret Twinn also to check if any of their children were baptised in Felsted between 1768 and 1776.  I know he hasn't a full set of Felsted fiche, I'm just hoping that he has fiche covering those dates, so fingers crossed!!  :)  

Offline julied

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 June 04 07:05 BST (UK) »
Hi again, many thanks.  I'm heading up to my local family history centre tomorrow for the day so hopefully something new will turn up.
bye, Julie  :)

Offline Susie1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 June 04 08:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie & Findem
From IGI Essex:
Mary Fuel 17 Mar 1776 William & Margaret Fuel
William Fewel 24 Jan 1779 William & Margaret Fewel
James Fewell 26 Oct 1783 William & Margaret Fewell
Melly Fuel 18 June 1786 William & Margaret Fuel
Samuel Fuel 1789 William & Margaret Fuel
Sophie Fuel 15 May 1791 William & Margaret Fuel

Before finding them on IGI last week, I had heard of them before and Milic is another child. (I wondered if it was Milie) although she is not in the IGI for Essex, I did find a marriage of Milic Fewel married to William Eve 9 July 1804 Gt Waltham.

Also there is a Samuel living in Writtle in the 1861 census aged 72.

Hope this helps.
Sue
Bell - London, Dorset & Somerset
Bridge, Crow, Fewell, Prior - Essex
Cane - London & Portsmouth
Hunter - London
McLeod - Scotland, Helmsdale & Wick

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 June 04 11:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Susie1,
Thanks a lot for the info, I had previously confirmed  the baptisms of William, Melly, Samuel & Sophia in parish registers but still have the other two from the IGI to confirm, Mary & James, also a John abt 1790 mentioned by Julied.  Very interested to hear of Milic (could be Milicent) who married William Eve because I have an Eve line at Gt Waltham and High Easter.  I haven't a found a William Eve in my line but then I don't pretend to have found all of them.  Around the time Milic Fewell and William Eve were born my Eves were being baptised at High Easter but there are gaps!  
Where did you find Milic ? Out of interest I would like to find out where she was born/baptised.
Do you have any Eves or Fewells in your tree?
Findem  :)  

Offline Susie1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 09 June 04 12:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Findem
Milic's marriage I found on the Essex IGI, while going throught the fiche last week.  But, I have seen the name before somewhere and at the moment I can't remember where. It was in a list along with all the other children.  If I remember I will let you know.
I am doing the Fewell line, and at the moment have been trying to put all the births, marriages and deaths I have found in Great Canfield in some kind of order.
I think I have got our link back to John who married Elizabeth Lanham in
1768.  John was not born in Great Canfield, or at least I can't find a birth but all his children were.
When I started with the Fewell's they were  living in Edmonton area, but traced them back to Great Canfield.
Which line are you doing?
Sue
Bell - London, Dorset & Somerset
Bridge, Crow, Fewell, Prior - Essex
Cane - London & Portsmouth
Hunter - London
McLeod - Scotland, Helmsdale & Wick

Offline julied

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 09 June 04 15:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue & Findem, like you I also remember coming across this Milic [it's a name you don't easily forget].  Don't know where she fits in yet.  There are just so many Fewells.  Will stay in touch and keep on searching though.  Where r u both by theway?
Julie  :)