Author Topic: FEWELL Family  (Read 80552 times)

Offline julied

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re:Fewell
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 22 June 04 11:16 BST (UK) »
Sue and Findem, thanks for giving me a good giggle with your replies, we obviously need to widen our search now don't we.  
Julie
AGNEW - BENTLEY -  BUCHANAN - CAMERON - CHEATER - CRAIG - DAVIS - GALBRAITH - HOLE - JONES - KENMUIR - KENNEDY-  LEATE - LILLEY - McWILLIAM - MILNE - ROWLANDS - SAUNDERS - SKERRATT - TODD
AUSTEN - BALDRY - BARLOW - BEALE - BRIMLEY - BRUTNALL -  BUTLIN - CHILD - CHILDS - EVERITT - FEWELL -  FITZGERALD - GOOLD - GOSPER -  - HIPWELL - HUBBARD - LEWIS - MARSDEN - PERRIN - RAYNER - REYNOLDS - STERLING - STEVENS - TWIN - TURNER - WANT- WILSON - WORTON

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 22 June 04 11:29 BST (UK) »
I reckon you are right about widening our Fewell search.  I have tried the IGI for Fewell clues but haven't come up with anything that I can see as useful, no doubt it is there staring me in the face.  I must one of these days get myself a copy of the British Vital Records disc, it might be more forthcoming than the IGI, not only for Fewell but other family names.  Well my wife is waiting for her turn on the net, so I guess it's the Telly for me.  ;D
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 24 June 04 04:47 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
Found an interesting "Fewells of Essex" site run by Trevor Fewell, it has Fewells we are interested in also the Chignall St James connection.  The URL is www.trevorfewell.clara.net/  well worth a look.
I obtained the URL from Annemarie Shuttle, her site is also worth looking at has loads of different surnames plus Fewell, I'll sort out her URL and put it on the Essex board.

Offline essexbird2004

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 25 June 04 00:26 BST (UK) »
no surprises:
RG9/1080/100
same household **
james fewell head age 38 agr lab
elizabeth wife age 40
william son agr lab
george son age 13
henry son age 11
charlotte dau age 8
lucy dau age 5
mary dau age 3
james    son age 1
---
**apologies, i couldnt find the exact adress- is between OAK HALL/CHIGNALL Hall, enumerator [william barker]only gives names of public houses, halls & other larger buildings.but is in line with several buildings named Brick so it could be Brick road?

An earlier find,Thomas Fewell age 51 incidently,was a shoemaker RG9/1080/99 and his son Thomas G.Fewell was agr lab

hope this helps
jaq

This is my family!! George aged 13 is my ggrandfather.
My name is kath and i was born fewell. Findem told me about this site and i am in touch with Julied to ( Julie sent the certificates to you today). Julie in a previous post you said that you were not sure if this is the correct family, i am 99.9% sure it is as there was only one other George born in 1848 and that was to William Fewell and Anne Stanley at White Roothing.
Just to let you know i live 30 minsutes from Chignall st james and chelmsford and i have been to the church at felsted, unfortunately the doors on the church are locked unless you go on a Sunday to listen to the vicar preach etc. I have emailed the vicar asking for a meeting so i can view the PR's, but had no reply as yet. Have also asked Essex County council how much it will cost to have the marriages from the period of 1768 on fiche that was a week ago and still no reply GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!.
Millic Fewell is Millicent Fewell she married William Eve in 1804. I am also inclined to beleive Millicent is also one in the same as Melly too, but need obviously to prove this somehow.

Jaq on the records you have for William Fewell and Margaret Twin(n)'s Marriage does it have their ages? please.

I now have a website with my line of Fewell's (and Julie's) the address is
http://www.tribalpages.com/tribes/kathdownes

please do let me know if there is any info that needs adding or you feel is incorrect.

Kath in Sad Essex ( as England have just lost to Portugal in the European Cup)
FEWELL - FEWEL - FUELL -  FUEL ALL AREAS
KENNAIRD - KENNARD - BANCE OF KENT & SUSSEX
DOWNES - TWIN - CHILDS OF ESSEX
DANCE - BROWN OF LONDON
PEARCE - FURZELAND - PARSONS OF SOMERSET
CLARKE - GILOOLLY OF PERTHSHIRE
McHUGH-McHUE-McCUE - GILOOLLY OF IRELAND

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 27 June 04 10:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie, Sue, Jaq, Kath and Trevor,  
Has anyone searched the Chignall St James Parish Registers to check if William Fewell and Margaret Twin baptised any children there, either between 1770 and 1776 or after 1791?  I know you won't have Jaq but you remarked that you have become attached to the Fewell family so I didn't want you to feel left out  ;D
PS If you haven't registered on RootsChat yet Trevor, it's time you did  ;)  

Offline MiddleEnglander

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 27 June 04 20:59 BST (UK) »
Hi to Julied, Susie1, Findem and the delightfully named Essexbird 2004 !  I feel like I know you all already !

Anyway, Julied - I've got the C St J records on fiche and no entries before 1804 that I can remember (the marriage of Mary was the first entry) - and I often wonder if Samuel met somebody through her, or moved there because she was there already.  I'll try to check - but my records are still recovering from a bad virus attack (that should give it away!).  I am certain about no earlier entries though.

I was once given some sketchy outlines of removal orders by a contact called Glyn - I'm sure that one was for a Willliam to/from something Parva.  Could be our man. Maybe one of you have them too - or now have greater details. Mustn't forget that the country was starving around William's time ... food riots and all, so he may well have had to move around just to survive.  The good old days eh ??

Fewell, MacDougall, Stevens, Rainbird

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 27 June 04 23:20 BST (UK) »
Welcome MiddleEnglander.
From memory I believe that Gt Waltham, was once called Waltham Parva.  I have read that once people could no longer support themselves and were to go on to Parish Relief, they were removed to the the Parish where they were baptised.  Thanks for the Chignall St James info.

Offline essexbird2004

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 28 June 04 22:45 BST (UK) »
HI all

Jaq would it be possible for you to check the 1861 census for me again please for
james fewell bc1843 chignal st james

have no idea who his parents are.
thanx in advance

Kath xx
FEWELL - FEWEL - FUELL -  FUEL ALL AREAS
KENNAIRD - KENNARD - BANCE OF KENT & SUSSEX
DOWNES - TWIN - CHILDS OF ESSEX
DANCE - BROWN OF LONDON
PEARCE - FURZELAND - PARSONS OF SOMERSET
CLARKE - GILOOLLY OF PERTHSHIRE
McHUGH-McHUE-McCUE - GILOOLLY OF IRELAND

Offline MiddleEnglander

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 28 June 04 23:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Essexbird ....

Are you talking about James born 31.7.1842 - son of Samuel and Elizabeth Fewel (yes, only one 'l' in my notes from the parish records !) ??  Hope this helps the links.
Fewell, MacDougall, Stevens, Rainbird