Author Topic: FEWELL Family  (Read 80551 times)

Offline essexbird2004

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: FEWELL Family
« Reply #333 on: Saturday 25 August 18 10:50 BST (UK) »
Sorry Kath but another question.... [you can tell me to bugger off]   ;D  who is the Sarah Fewell that married John Riley [widower] 18.12.1830 C St J?
Julie
Now this is a new one to me Julie, i have no idea i am gonna have a look on the 1841 census see if ican see when she was born

wont be long
Well on the 1841 census @ Church Green, C st J Sarah Riley is 60 and her husband JOhn is 70 both born in Essex. I have no Sarah Fewell born circa 1781 on my records. So i havnt a clue who she is.

Well a few years on and there are several Sarah's born circa 1781 that this could be.

Sarah Fewell Bapt 29/08/1779 St Michaels, Braintree to John Fewell & Ruth Slaughter. DIED 1779
Sarah Fewel Bapt 11/10/1789 Bocking to Thomas Fewel & Mary Bribus DIED 1814
Sarah Fewell Bapt 22/01/1786 Felsted to Thomas Fewell & Rachel Burls
Sarah Fewell Bapt 04/05/1788 Great Easton to Daniel Fewell & Mary Kirkham
Sarah Fewell Bapt 24/08/1772 Hatfield Heath to John Fewell & Sarah
Sarah Fuel Bapt 25/12/1790 Rochford to Isaac Fuel & Susannah Long
Sarah Fuel Bapt 19/11/1775 Takeley to Philip Fuel & Sarah Bentley

And i probably have some death or marriage records for the above Sarah's.

K
FEWELL - FEWEL - FUELL -  FUEL ALL AREAS
KENNAIRD - KENNARD - BANCE OF KENT & SUSSEX
DOWNES - TWIN - CHILDS OF ESSEX
DANCE - BROWN OF LONDON
PEARCE - FURZELAND - PARSONS OF SOMERSET
CLARKE - GILOOLLY OF PERTHSHIRE
McHUGH-McHUE-McCUE - GILOOLLY OF IRELAND

Offline essexbird2004

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: Saturday 25 August 18 11:25 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Hope you are all OK.

Re William Fewell bap 5 Feb 1744 at Felsted the son of William and Hannah Fewell.

Just wondering did anyone ever find the marriage of William Fewell and Hannah and did anyone ever manage to find more children of theirs, or even evidence of where the family went to after Felsted?

I was looking at my Family Group Sheet for the family of William Fewell/Fuel and Margaret Twinn and saw the note for William and Hannah Fewell so I thought check if anyone has had a breakthrough regarding William and Hannah.

I have from time searched what few facilities are available to me but not recently on the ERO's Essex Ancestors, I am hoping to use Essex Ancestors when the cooler months arrive in Australia and the grass growth slows.  Got a list of searches as long as your arm so I'm not sure if a William and Hannah search will fit in, seeing as I have no leads to go on.

Regards.
Hi D
I still have no information on the above i'm  afraid.
I am sure they will fit in somewhere though, they have to.

K x
DANCE - BROWN OF LONDON

Offline essexbird2004

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: Saturday 25 August 18 12:22 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Hope you are all OK.

Re William Fewell bap 5 Feb 1744 at Felsted the son of William and Hannah Fewell.

Just wondering did anyone ever find the marriage of William Fewell and Hannah and did anyone ever manage to find more children of theirs, or even evidence of where the family went to after Felsted?

I was looking at my Family Group Sheet for the family of William Fewell/Fuel and Margaret Twinn and saw the note for William and Hannah Fewell so I thought check if anyone has had a breakthrough regarding William and Hannah.

I have from time searched what few facilities are available to me but not recently on the ERO's Essex Ancestors, I am hoping to use Essex Ancestors when the cooler months arrive in Australia and the grass growth slows.  Got a list of searches as long as your arm so I'm not sure if a William and Hannah search will fit in, seeing as I have no leads to go on.

Regards.
Hi D
I still have no information on the above i'm  afraid.
I am sure they will fit in somewhere though, they have to.

K x
i Have looked at this entry and it is William son of William & Hannah Burls
So we can now cross this one off of the list.
DANCE - BROWN OF LONDON

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: Sunday 26 August 18 04:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Kath,

Hope you and yours are OK.

Thanks for that info Kath, I shall make a note of that info in a couple of my databases just in case I grow forgetful.  ;D  Glad to see the back of this query it's really bugged me.

Haven't done a great deal of research lately just chipped away at the fringes but now I'm starting to feel more like my old self in the way of motivation, I think before long I'll get myself a Essex Ancestors sub and get back into things.

A couple of  Theobald families I've found in parish registers on The Genealogist have given me hope that I may at last get my Theobald line back to the 1600's, just need to check burials and marriages to make sure they were free and able to link, fingers crossed.
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline essexbird2004

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: Saturday 20 June 20 15:43 BST (UK) »
Hello All

I hope everyone has been OK through this tough time of Covid-19.
We are all well here.

I keep trying to come back to working on William Fewell's parents, and i have decided that Philip Fewell/Fuel(l) & Ann(e) Jud(d) are definitely NOT his parents.

I have come to this by a process of elimination.

William Fewell died 1829 states in his will he has a brother Thomas (died 1836 black notley) and a sister Susanna(h) Little.

The only family i can find with a Susanna that fits is daughter of Philip & Ann baptised 1740 Takeley.
Philip & Ann also have a son William bapt 1737.
This William states he has 2 sons Philip & Charles in his will. so NOT my William Fewell who married Margaret Twin(n)
There are several missing years in the Takeley records and i am taking an educated guess that Thomas the other son is bapt in those years.

K
DANCE - BROWN OF LONDON

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: Sunday 21 June 20 05:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Kath,

That's startling news!

Was there an age given in the 1829 burial entry for William?

So, we need a Fewell family with a William, Thomas and Susannah, have you any clues, I would be happy to lend a hand with research if you want.

Regards

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: Tuesday 23 June 20 03:34 BST (UK) »
Hi K.

Following your post I had a look at what I have for William Fewell and his wife Margaret Twin(n).

Surprised to find I hadn't a burial for both William and Margaret, so I checked out Ancestry's Essex Parish Register Index, Free Reg and Family Search, I failed to find that 1829 burial you mentioned.

What I did find was a William Fewell buried 28 Aug 1822 at Gt Waltham, aged 86 which would see him born about 1736, pretty close to the William son of Philip baptised 1737 at Takeley.  As we know, other than William and Margaret's first child Elizabeth the remainder were all baptised in Gt Waltham, which is where I would expect William to be buried although not necessarily so.

Knowing the amount of work you have carried out on Gt Waltham I expect you were aware of that burial, have you found something to discount that burial as being of the husband of Margaret Twin?

I did by the way fail to find the burial of Margaret.

Regards.

Offline Lord_Vader

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: Friday 30 October 20 11:12 GMT (UK) »
The 1829 Will is for William Fewell who was of the Little Canfield branch. William's burial 13 Jan 1829 notes his residence as Cloudesley Terrace and aged 73 years. The residence is the same as his will proved 15 Jan 1829 and the age matches a baptism 6 Feb 1756 to a William Fewell and Mary who resided at Little Canfield. The brother Thomas mentioned is noted in the Will living at Black Notley (Black Nottey near Braintree) and his burial is found 3 Nov 1836 noted residing there aged 77 years matching a baptism 10 Feb 1760 to William & Mary in Little Canfield. The Susannah sister is likely to be another and not the same child of Philip and Ann with a missing baptism.

The issue of William Fewell who married Margaret Twinn is still unknown as the 1737 baptism has strong supporting evidence for the William Fewell who married Elizabeth Green, not only was a Philip Fewell a third witness at their wedding at Takeley in 1761 when only two was sufficient, but William and Elizabeth had a son called Philip baptised 1764 at Hatfield Broad Oak when that family was noted residing at Brewers End in Takeley. William Fewell in Takeley was also witness to a marriage in 1766. Philip born 1764 had two attempts at a daughter called Millicient 1802 & 1805 and the name Philip extended to William's eldest son James who married at Sawbridgeworth noting a witness as Philip Fewell in 1788. James' third son was Philip Fewell/Fuell who continued the Philip name down this lineage.

Philip Fewell and Ann Judd had two further sons Philip Jr. and Jeremiah, each who also had a son called Philip, supporting William also very likely had a son called Philip.

William who married Margaret Twinn was in Great Waltham from at least 1768 as noted in his marriage. Since that William had a son called Samuel, there is very likely a connection to a different Waltham area Fewell family with a Samuel Fewell buried 2 Nov 1817 aged 69 (born c. 1748) at Little Waltham.

Also worth considering is the burial 1750 for a Mary Fewell at Chelmsford who is noted of Great Waltham suggesting a different Fewell family lineage may have resided south of Great Waltham attending a Chelmsford parish. It is highly plausible this Mary is William and/or Samuel's mother. A Mary Fell was baptised 24 Apr 1743 at Writtle to a Philomon & Sarah evidence the name existed around the Chelmsford area separate to the Takeley branches with plausible spelling variants.

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: Saturday 31 October 20 02:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that input Lord Vader, it's very very interesting.

I've made a copy which I will print off and study at leisure to get my head around matters.

Of course my/our research was long before Ancestry's Essex Parish Register Index (EPRI) came into being and really wasn't making much headway.  Then after further research and lots of discussions on RootsChat and other means plus the message from the Reverend Mill's son, I came round to the theory of the Suffolk to Thaxted and then to Takeley etc line.

My Fewell line starts off with Sophia Fuel (Tuel on the EPRI  ::)) who married into my Searles, her parents were definitely William and Margaret (nee Twinn) Fewell/Fuel.

I have recorded William and Thomas sons of Thomas and Elizabeth Fewell baptised 27 Apr 1740 at Takeley.  Thomas Fewell married Elisabeth Judd 26 Jul 1735 at Takeley.
Also a William Fewell who married Elizabeth Green 7 Dec 1761 at Takeley.

Not sure if it's noted on this topic so as I'm running out of time I'll note it here, the Rev Mills considered that the Philip Fuell who married Ann Judd was the Philip son of John Fuell/Fewell and Elizabeth Green baptised 6 Jun 1714 at Little Canfield.  John and Elizabeth married 3 Jun 1707 at Gt Dunmow by licence.

Looks like I have work to do.

Regards.