Author Topic: FEWELL Family  (Read 80553 times)

Offline Susie1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re:Fewell
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 09 June 04 16:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie
I'm from Manchester, uk.  Bit difficult doing Essex from up here, so I rely on fiche.
Sue
Bell - London, Dorset & Somerset
Bridge, Crow, Fewell, Prior - Essex
Cane - London & Portsmouth
Hunter - London
McLeod - Scotland, Helmsdale & Wick

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 10 June 04 00:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie & Susie,
I'm originally from Chelmsford, Essex but now living in New South Wales, Australia, OK Julie, now you know where Susie and I are from, so where are you located ?
Susie, if you check my post of 4/6/04 it will explain my line and save me writing it again (I'm a slow typer).  Haven't heard yet from the friend in the UK who has some of the Felsted PR fiche, so I'm hoping that means he does have the relevant fiche to do my Fewell/Twinn etc lookup !!.
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 10 June 04 02:43 BST (UK) »
The more I think about Millic Fewell who married William Eve 9 Jul 1804 at Gt Watham (per IGI) the more convinced I am that Millic and Melly baptised 18/6/1786 at Gt Waltham are one and the same.  I seem to recall that my wife and I struggled a bit with the baptism entry writing before deciding on Melly, perhaps it was a dodgey i that looked like an e.  It's a shame I didn't photocopy the register entry so I could now recheck it.  When I'm able, I'll recheck it in the PR and also look at the marriage entry.  I will in the meantime chase up my original notes to see if I commented on any difficulty in deciphering Melly.  

Offline julied

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 10 June 04 11:39 BST (UK) »
Hi guys, I've been wondering whether Milic isn't Milicent, not that I can find find another listing of that name anywhere, oh this all gets so frustrating at times!!   I'm in Brisbane by the way [meant to put that in last night, sorry].
Julie  :)
AGNEW - BENTLEY -  BUCHANAN - CAMERON - CHEATER - CRAIG - DAVIS - GALBRAITH - HOLE - JONES - KENMUIR - KENNEDY-  LEATE - LILLEY - McWILLIAM - MILNE - ROWLANDS - SAUNDERS - SKERRATT - TODD
AUSTEN - BALDRY - BARLOW - BEALE - BRIMLEY - BRUTNALL -  BUTLIN - CHILD - CHILDS - EVERITT - FEWELL -  FITZGERALD - GOOLD - GOSPER -  - HIPWELL - HUBBARD - LEWIS - MARSDEN - PERRIN - RAYNER - REYNOLDS - STERLING - STEVENS - TWIN - TURNER - WANT- WILSON - WORTON

Offline Susie1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 11 June 04 00:30 BST (UK) »
Hi
I've gone through everything I've got and can't find anything else on Milic, only the marriage.  So I thing your right and Melly and Milic are the same person.  At least the names are similar.
I had a birth for a Harry and then nothing else and lots of info on a George but no birth.  It turned out they were the same person.
Sue
Hunter - London

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 22 June 04 03:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie & Sue,  My friend has confirmed the marriage, William Fewell married Margaret Twin (as spelt, no double n) 3 May 1768 at Felsted, in the presence of Edward Connell & Thos Green.  He found no children of theirs in Felsted, he also checked a Gt Waltham fische and confirms the children we already have.   The Mary Ann you mentioned is only shown as Mary in the register fische but the date is correct.  Another entry in the Gt Waltham Baptism Register fische read "........... of William & Margaret Fewell baptised Jan 20 1770".  My friend wrote that the name part of the entry was not illegible, or crossed out, it was just blank.  It begs the question was this a still-born child?  I wonder whether the original Gt Waltham register could contain an explanatory note somewhere which hasn't been put on the fische?  So apart from the unnamed 1770 entry in Gt Waltham there are no baptisms in Felsted & Gt Waltham between 1768 & 1776 , so where were William & Margaret between 1770 & 1776?.  Bit of a mystery there at the moment, unless of course they abstained for a while.  

Offline julied

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 22 June 04 04:34 BST (UK) »
Findem,hello, thanks so much for this new piece of info - the plot thickens as they say!!  How interesting this other child.  I must say though I had wondered why the 8 year gap till what we thought was the first child  [Mary Ann] born.  Not the usual thing for those times I've found.  Even with this still-birth there is still another 6 year gap till Mary Ann.  Perhaps they had other children elsewhere, guess we'll have to do more detective work here.  Till next time,
cheers,
Julie  :)
AGNEW - BENTLEY -  BUCHANAN - CAMERON - CHEATER - CRAIG - DAVIS - GALBRAITH - HOLE - JONES - KENMUIR - KENNEDY-  LEATE - LILLEY - McWILLIAM - MILNE - ROWLANDS - SAUNDERS - SKERRATT - TODD
AUSTEN - BALDRY - BARLOW - BEALE - BRIMLEY - BRUTNALL -  BUTLIN - CHILD - CHILDS - EVERITT - FEWELL -  FITZGERALD - GOOLD - GOSPER -  - HIPWELL - HUBBARD - LEWIS - MARSDEN - PERRIN - RAYNER - REYNOLDS - STERLING - STEVENS - TWIN - TURNER - WANT- WILSON - WORTON

Offline Susie1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 22 June 04 06:27 BST (UK) »
Hi. Just to add to the confusion.
I was looking for the name Yell on the IGI this morning and it  told me to look under other names, one of which was Jewel.  When I looked,  there was William Jewell m Margaret 21 Jan 1770 Gt Waltham.
Now the marriages of Takeley I got off the net had Jewel's in and some of them I believe are Fewells.  So is this another Fewell, or is it really Jewell and the birth of a stillborn on 20 Jan 1770 is that a Fewell or should it be a Jewell!!!!!
Sue
Hunter - London

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 22 June 04 10:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks a heap for adding to the confusion Susie, we need that like a hole in the head!!, there was already more than enough to go round.  Seriously though it does look as though some careful rechecking is required "just in case".  Apart from that Jewell versus Fewell thing, we still have a 6 year gap to contend with, so as you say Julie there must be children baptised elsewhere (at least a Margaret).  I can't imagine them being celibate for six years, especially as there was no Telly in those days.  It will be great to get this business sorted and be able to move on to determining the next ancestor.  He I believe will be a William Fewell son of William & Hannah, baptised 5 Feb 1744 at Gt Waltham.  Being baptised in 1744, he looks promising for the William who married Margaret Twin in 1768, subject to passing tests such as did he die before 1768 or marry someone else.