Author Topic: Early Records from Morpeth re Donkin  (Read 12646 times)

Offline Marama

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Early Records from Morpeth re Donkin
« Reply #18 on: Monday 04 September 17 06:20 BST (UK) »
Dear Victoria
     Yes, Thomas was Frank's younger brother!  My aunt, Beth Donkin, wrote her memoirs a few years ago and she mentioned her Uncle Tom and his wife Mollie and their son Jack.  Apparently Tom was a dentist and Beth didn't like it when he came to visit because he would do any dentistry required on the kids - with no anaesthetic.  She also said that Jack was a tobacco farmer after the war.
     As to Samuel's origins - I'm still of the opinion that he and the William who was born in 1689 were the same person but I don't think I'll ever prove it!
     Marama.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 04 September 17 17:06 BST (UK) »
Have you searched wills to see if there is anything of interest?

http://familyrecords.dur.ac.uk/nei/data/simple.php

results link to images on Family Search

Boo

Offline Marama

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 05 September 17 02:08 BST (UK) »
That William who made his will in 1787 was Samuel's son, the one who had "the wedding."  Thanks for the hint though.

Offline christineabdy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Rothbury Donkins
« Reply #21 on: Monday 11 June 18 21:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Marama and VictoriaDonkin,
I was delighted to come across your posts (old and newer) about Donkins in Australia, while researching my Donkin ancestors from Rothbury.   William Donkin who emigrated in 1837 was the brother of my 2x G grandfather James Donkin.  I've just started looking at William Donkin's descendants, but I do have a fair amount of material about the Rothbury families.  Were you aware that William's niece Rosina Wardle (nee Donkin) also emigrated to Australia in the 1880s?

Kind regards
Christine

Offline Marama

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 06:40 BST (UK) »
Dear Christine
      Lovely to hear from you.  Things like this always happen when I am packing my bags to go overseas!   I'd be delighted to swap notes with you.  I have a booklet written by Joy Shepherd in 2002.  She quotes some wonderful letters written by Barbara Ann Donkin (Mrs Turner) to her brother William in Australia.  Apparently William wasn't a good correspondent!!  I think you will find that Barbara Ann and William were siblings of your James.  Yes, I did know about Rosina Wardle - she also lived in New Zealand for a while. 
      I'll be back home in mid July.  How can we find out each other's email addresses?  My name is Jennifer Willmott and I'm pretty sure if you searched that, ignoring all the ones in Britain and America, you might find my address.  I'd love to know if you have any thoughts about Sam the Patriarch.  I have a few ideas I'd love to discuss with you.  Isn't Rothbury a beautiful place?   I know why so many people migrated in the 1800's but I've never understood why William came to Australia at almost the same time as two of his brothers went to Canada.
      Looking forward to hearing from you,    Marama.

Offline christineabdy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Rothbury Donkins
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 20:01 BST (UK) »
Hello Marama,

I know that William's siblings, Samuel and James remained in Rothbury - the others i have yet to research.  I had no idea two brothers went to Canada!  I will get onto that right away...    Two different branches of my family originate from Rothbury, it is indeed a lovely area.  I am sending you a private message containing my email address, which should come through to your email.

Christine

Offline LDonkin

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 14:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Ladies (incl Victoria!)

We are headed to Scotland next month & I have found out all I can about the Donkins in Northbury & Great Tosson. I'd love to find out more, and am sure that Samuel is the father (?) of William of William of Jack. I'd love to find out further back & the history with Scotland... but nothing appears to be available. If anyone else can give me some pointers, please do.

With thanks
Lisa Donkin

Offline Carole Donkin

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 01 April 19 15:48 BST (UK) »
I too am descended from Samuel Donkin ( possibly born William )  but struggling to get back any further. I remember my Dad talking to me about Great Tosson and Rothbury , he had great memories of these places. Would love to know if anyone has found who are the parents of Samuel Donkin ( b 1689).

Offline molz

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 28 January 20 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi from New Zealand - I am coming to the Uk in June and was hoping to find graves or places where my ancestors were Mary Mollie Donkin was married to Thomas Hedley (my maiden name is Hedley) I would like to know as much about the Donkins as possible.  William born 1723 death 2 June 1787,
Samuel born 1689 dies May 1791, Arthur, born 1648, death?, Robert born 1618 in dunnington married in Holy trinity Goodramgate, which is still there, and John born 1590.  Most seem to be from Great Tosson, would love to know if they were Yeomen or what they did.  does any one know about clogging being part of  Northumberland , as apparently one of my ancestors was a famous clogger.  My name is Mary Hedley called Molly, so funny I have an ancestor Mary Mollie.  any help would be amazing.