Author Topic: Pinkerton Family, Ballymoney  (Read 15463 times)

Offline Jean_E

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Pinkerton Family, Ballymoney
« on: Saturday 06 November 10 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello from the U.S.A.

I am researching a Pinkerton family line who "had" to leave Scotland sometime after the Battle of Bothwell Bridge (1679) and who settled in the Ballymoney area of County Antrim.  Family lore says 3 Pinkerton brothers emigrated from Scotland, probably from Ayrshire, after the Battle of Bothwell Bridge.  The names of those 3 brothers: Robert, John, James.  I've read a little about the Covenanters and the Battle of Bothwell Bridge.  I understand the Pinkertons were connected with the Campbells of Argyll.  Right now, I'm not sure if the family lore is just a good story or has a thread of truth.

The earliest information I have is for Robert Pinkerton, b. about 1770, Scotland, and his wife Jane Lockridge/Lochridge/Loughridge, b. about 1865, Scotland.

The only children of theirs about whom I know are 3 sons, all born in Ireland:

* Robert John Pinkerton, b. about 1797, Ireland; May have been called John
 Married to Margaret Divine/Devine, b. about 1798, County Derry
They immigrated to Hebron, Washington County, New York in 1855, with passage paid for by a son, Samuel David Pinkerton, who immigrated in 1851.
Eventually, after the death of his wife, Robert John, returned to Ballymoney, County Antrim, where he died in 1876.

* James Pinkerton, b. about 1799, County Antrim
Married to Rachel Warwick/Warnick, b. about 1803 (or 1795), County Antrim
Eventually, the returned to Ballymoney, where they died and are buried in the Covenanter Cemetery, Ballymoney, County Antrim.  I have a photo of their joint gravestone, along with a son, Andrew Pinkerton, d. 29 Aug 1884.
James, d. 29 Apr 1865, Ballymoney and Rachel, d. 24 Jan 1871, Newbuildings, Ballymoney

* Samuel Pinkerton, b. 1 Jan 1803, County Antrim
Married Mary Warnock, b. 1 Aug 1813, County Galway; Married 10 Apr 1841, County Antrim
Immigrated to USA in 1847 with 3 children; settling at Hartford, Washington County, New York and then moving to purchased farm land in Waupaca County, Wisconsin in 1853
Samuel d. 16 Oct 1892, Waupaca County, Wisconsin; Mary d. 19 Nov 1891

Andrew Pinkerton, son of James (b. about 1799) and Rachel Warwick/Warnick Pinkerton (b. 1795 or 1830) married and settled in Ballymoney.  His wife: Nancy McCaw, b. 1847, Lisheegan, County Galway, whose mother's maiden name was also Pinkerton; married 2 Dec 1864 at Ballymoney Reformed Presbyterian Church, County Antrim. 
* Andrew died in County Antrim 29 Aug 1894 and is buried in the Covenanter Cemetery, Ballymoney. 
* Nancy McCaw Pinkerton died 27 May 1915.
* I have information of 5 children for them, all born at Ballymoney: Mary, b. 11 Oct 1867, d. 15 Jul 1890; Rachel, b. 22 Jul 1869, d. 2 Sept 1943; Anna, b. 15 Jun 1871; Samuel, b. 16 May 1876; and Sarah P., b. 19 Oct 1882
* Presumably some or all of them have descendants who are still in and around Ballymoney today.

If anyone has any tips or information on this Pinkerton family in Ireland or back to Scotland, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you -
Jean_E, Missouri
Ball - Staffordshire
Barr - Renfrewshire, Scotland
Barrington - Naas or Rosetown, Kildare, Ireland
Batstone - Yarcombe, Devon
Bright - Yarcombe, Devon
Dunn - Yarcombe, Devon
Hamilton - Ireland
Knight - Yarcombe, Devon
McAllister - Antrim, Ireland
Pinkerton - Ballymoney, Antrim, Ireland
Simcock - Staffordshire
Ward - Lanarkshire, Scotland
Coyle - Ireland
Hughes - Tyrone, Ireland
O'Neill - Ireland

Offline TheWhuttle

• RootsChat Senior
  • How many boys?
    • View Profile
Re: Pinkerton Family, Ballymoney
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 November 10 00:14 GMT (UK) »
Jean_E,

Some generic info for you:

The PINKERTON surname is of Norman origin, and "got about a bit" before coming North (from England to Scotland).
[Just like the BRUCEs!]
Ref: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~pinkerton/meaning.htm

Two 20thC PINKERTON ladies of Belfast created an index to the BMD entries in the 19thC Belfast Newsletter.
[In A4 book form, held behind the desk on the top floor of the Linen Hall Library.]

The Covenanters high point was during 1643-46 when the Government at Westminster was dominated by representatives sympathetic to Pb principles.
[The Assembly of Divines formulated the "Westminster Confession of Faith" at this time - the core creed of all Pb churches.]

The Covenanters low point came in 1679 when Richard Cameron and his few remaining followers were hounded down and killed.  West Lanarkshire & East Ayrshire were the key areas of his support.  He used to walk there from Edinburgh (50+ miles) to minister to his congregation.
[The 1680s then saw mayhem ensue.  They were known as "The Killing Times" in Scotland - you could be killed simply for not conforming to King Charles II's designated version(s) of valid religion.]
Ref: http://www.east-ayrshire.gov.uk/comser/my%20area/muirkirk.asp
Ref: "Our Covenanter Heritage" ... (substantial tome - details TBD)

Many escaped over the water to Ulster.
[As had happened previously (in the early 1600s), when King James I broke the power of the riding clans in the Borders.]

If you cross the wide Missouri to visit, you must stop off at Grey Friar's Kirk in Edinburgh - signing place of the original Covenant, and prison (in the graveyard) for the Covenanters later.  Also Sanquar, to see the market cross on which their later Declaration was pinned.
[ ... and check out Rabbie Burns' signature on the window in the pub as a bonus!]

Capt Jock
WHITTLEY - Donegore, Ballycraigy, Newtownards, Guernsey, PALI
WHITTLE - Dublin, Glenavy, Muckamore, Belfast; Jamaica; Norfolk (Virginia), Baltimore (Maryland), New York
CHAINE - Ballymena, Muckamore, Larne
EWART, DEWART - Portglenone, Ballyclare
McAFEE, WALKER - Ballyrashane

"You can't give kindness away enough, it keeps coming back to you."
Mark Twain (aka Samuel CLEMENTS) [Family origins from Ballynure, Co. Antrim.]

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 November 10 00:23 GMT (UK) »
Jean_E,

Generic information on the PINKERTON

???
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 November 10 11:33 GMT (UK) »
 The Pinkerton's are a well known farming family in the Glasgow area, they used to grow rhubarb at Hogganfield & Houston, one of the four brothers, George, was a fighter pilot and shot down the second German raider of the last war over the Forth. They originated in Rutherglen where they were nurserymen at Grozzethall.  There is also the Pinkerton who founded the detective agency and hailed from the Gorbals, he could have been off the same family, according to one of thr Hogganfield Pinkertons.    Skoosh.

Offline Jean_E

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 November 10 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you to TheWhuttle (Capt Jock) and Skoosh for the background info on the Pinkertons. 

I'd love to travel to Scotland and Ireland (Northern & Eire), as I have family lines from those places as well as England.  I'll keep on picking away on the genealogy research. 

It would be fun if Allan Pinkerton, the founder of the famous/infamous (depending upon what side one was on) Pinkerton Detective Agency in the U.S.A., but right now, that is only family lore, too -- that he was some distant relation.  (As an aside, the Pinkerton Detective Agency logo was a large open human eye, with the motto "We Never Sleep" -- the source for the "private eye" designation for private detectives.)

I understand there are a number of geographical locations/features in Scotland with the name Pinkerton -- Pinkerton Burn, a stream in Fife; Little Pinkerton and Meikle Pinkerton in Dunbar (is that the civil parish?) in East Lothian; and Easter Pinkerton and Pinkerton Hill also in East Lothian.

According to my Pinkerton family lore, my family line came from East Lothian, but right now, that is only lore to me, too.

Again, thank you both for your input.

Jean_E, St. Louis area, Missouri
Ball - Staffordshire
Bright - Yarcombe, Devon
Dunn - Yarcombe, Devon
Hamilton - Ireland
Knight - Yarcombe, Devon
Simcock - Staffordshire
Coyle - Ireland
Hughes - Tyrone, Ireland
O'Neill - Ireland

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 November 10 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Jean, you're right enough about the East Lothian connection according to Black's Scottish Surnames, very old name, has 1296 a Nicol Pinkerton.  A John Pinkerton is in Glasgow in 1494, and John & Malcolm Pinkerton around 1560 in Rutherglen (the rhubarb dynasty?). One of my teachers was a Miss Pinkerton, married onto a brother of the pilot. When we were kids we used to pinch the rhubarb and eat it with sugar!    skoosh.

Offline Jean_E

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 November 10 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Skoosh, for the information on East Lothian, Scotland and the Pinkertons.  I'll start looking in that geographical area for a continuation back in my Pinkerton line.  It looks like most of the Pinkertons were very fruitful, multipled and named their progeny after each other, too, just to add confusion to the search by their descendents.  Bless 'em! 

I love your rhubarb story and the information about hero fighter pilot.

Thank you -
Jean_E, St. Louis area, Missouri
Ball - Staffordshire
Bright - Yarcombe, Devon
Dunn - Yarcombe, Devon
Hamilton - Ireland
Knight - Yarcombe, Devon
Simcock - Staffordshire
Coyle - Ireland
Hughes - Tyrone, Ireland
O'Neill - Ireland

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 November 10 22:17 GMT (UK) »
They had a sign at the rhubarb fields Jean, "One stalk will do! if you take two, we'll get you!"

skoosh.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 November 10 10:26 GMT (UK) »
If you haven't already used it, you may find http://www.ballymoneyancestry.com/ a useful site to further your research too. There are some searchable databases (yielding numerous Pinkerton results from 1669 onwards - so certainly seems to have been a popular surname in the area) and a forum for asking questions.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .