Author Topic: Nash of Glanmire Cork  (Read 19813 times)

Offline palmeira

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Nash of Glanmire Cork
« Reply #18 on: Friday 28 March 14 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello Tim!

I'm delighted to have details of the property - it was obviously quite extensive.   Thank you so much for the offer of a photograph of the entrance.    Any additional info you feel able to share would be very much appreciated.

I'm unsure whether I have photos of Ryder Joseph & Samuel Arthur Nash, but I do have a couple of my great grandmother X1, Priscilla Rebecca Nash (their sister) with several of her brothers - so possibly Joseph Ryder and Samuel are in some of the photographs.  Joseph Nash & Elizabeth (nee Williams) had a large family consisting of at least seven children.

Joseph Ryder Nash farmed Park Farm and his brother, Samuel Arthur, farmed Lake Lodge.  Their father (my great X2 grandfather Joseph Nash) farmed Lake Lodge.  I don't know when Samuel Arthur died, but Joseph Ryder died in 1917 in Peckham London

My understanding is that in 1837 Lake Lodge was owned by John Martin and in 1914-1921 the property was farmed by J. Cornwall.

Many, many thanks!

:)

Offline tmurphy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 28 March 14 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for info re John Cornwall - I did not know that. Enter the following in https://maps.google.ie/ -

51.925816,-8.409553

The Farm in the middle is Lake Lodge
The farm to the north (above) is Park Farm
The farm to south-west (below to left) is Lake View

Offline palmeira

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 28 March 14 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Tim, thanks for the map reference.

Offline Joe Nash

• RootsChat Extra
  • 65 years old..13 years a 24/7 wheelchair user with speech impediment the result of strokes to both sides. 190lb 6' 5" ex-construction manager. Married, with a Yorkie dogs and 7 very friendly rescue hens.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 05:58 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
William Bensted Nash, my Gf was born in Cape Town in 1881 to Joseph and Ester (nee Smith).Joseph had previously made his fortune on the Kimberly diamond mines. Havent traced Birth certs etc. Brother Ryder was also born in Cape Town . They returned to Co. Cork when William was 2 weeks old. Their father, also a Joseph bought a small "estate" near the other family farms. The family farm, originally owned by a Joseph (Lake Lodge in Glanmire?) was run by Ryder and Sam who didnt marry. I dont know where the "SA" Joseph bought had his estate, or names. The estate had a double story house. It must have been fairly large as they had a number of servants, horses and a coachman. Alfred Claud (1882 and two sisters were born during this time. William remembered (I have a 1954 letter he wrote to my mother) that he had two aunts, both of whom married army officers. One husband was Col Bennett who became a general in WW1. He couldn't remember the other aunt.
The family returned to South Africa in about 1888/9 on the SS Trojan, landing in Port Elizabeth. Alfred Claud must have been left behind and was adopted out to his uncle James who was an unmarried doctor living in London.
The Joseph bought the farm Broxley outside Grahamstown (north east of Port Elizabeth). They farmed cattle, horses and goats. I know the region and its fairly dry. A local farmer recently told me that it is thought that a young girl drowned on the farm, maybe a sister of William's (?).
Alfred Claud visited the farm in about 1904 and then went off to South America to visit an uncle (John?) who hadmarried into a cattle ranching family "of high status". Alfred Claud might have spent as long as 2 years in South America before going back to Ireland or England (?). He joined the army and was posted to France in 1916. In October 1917 he was commissioned as a Captain. He was awarded the Military Cross and was gassed. His Unit was the RH. Artillery, at some stage.
I think he married (dont know who?) and had a few children. He must have deserted his wife because he later had another lady with whom he had at least one son. During this second relationship he might have spent time in Cork as he wrote to William in about April 1954. he might have been hiding and maybe not divorced. Sadly his issue from the second relationship doesnt know anything about his parents.
I dont know what happened to Broxley except they battled finncially to the extent that they could not afford to send William to school.
My daughter will be visiting Broxley farm in early January 2013 so hope to get more info.

William married a Kate Grimshaw (date ?), who was English born and only had one daughter, my mother, in 1924. William and Kate divorced (date?) and he remarried Louis (?). He spent most of his working life in what is now Maputo, Mozambique in the timber import / export business. Not sure when he retired. When I knew him in the mid to late 1960s he lived in a small village, Parys, on the Vaal River. Both William and Louis died in Durban in the late 1970s within 6 weeks of eachother. I lived close by and was not informed by the old age home where they lived. Apparently some "local" relatives collected their belonggings. I have no idea who they could be
Am having troubles navigating the South African archives but have a historian friend helping.
Any help with the Nash stay in Cork from early 1880s to 1904 would be helpful. Partivularly about the girls. I want to find the passenger list for the SS Trojan that they traveled on to Port Elizabeth in about 1888/9.
Cheers, Hugh.

Offline Joe Nash

• RootsChat Extra
  • 65 years old..13 years a 24/7 wheelchair user with speech impediment the result of strokes to both sides. 190lb 6' 5" ex-construction manager. Married, with a Yorkie dogs and 7 very friendly rescue hens.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 06:38 BST (UK) »
Hi
My father was a sibling. Alfred Claude Nash. He had 3 sons Patrick, Michael and Timothy by his wife,left her about 1934. Timothy is the only remaking son from his marriage and he is 80 and lives in America.Then there's a gap until he hooked up with my mother and I was born in 1947 my sister Elizabeth was born 1949 both of us in dingle Eire. My father died in 1954 and. Is buried in Littlehampton West Sussex

Offline Donaldm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 29 October 14 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hugh,

By chance I came upon your post on Rootschat regarding Joseph Nash and Your grandfather William Nash and reference to a farm Broxley in the Grahamstown area of SA. My Grandmother Gertude Nash ( Married name Mitchell) was born in Ireland and mentioned 2 or 3 brothers Willy, Sam and Rhyder and also a farm Broxley. My Grandmother also retired to Parys on the Vaal River.

It looks like we may be related and would like to find out if your daughter found the farm Broxley or not and possibly chat in more detail about the Nash family

Regards
Donaldm

Offline palmeira

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 30 October 14 10:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello Donaldm!

If you do manage to link yourself to the Broxley Nash family, then I too am related to you. 

The Irish descent is as follows:
Ryder Nash married Rebecca Moxly. 
Their son was Joseph Nash who married Elizabeth Williams.

Joseph & Elizabeth had seven children, five sons (one of whom was also named Joseph!) and two daughters.   

It's at this level we separate:
The South African Nash family descend from Joseph Nash (jnr).   
I descend Priscilla Rebecca Nash who married Charles Henry Bennett; my great X1 grandparents.

Offline Donaldm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 06:44 GMT (UK) »
Dear Palmeira,
Thank you for your prompt response!

It is good to find out about the family and please to hear from a distant cousin!

I have found out more about my grandmother Gertrude Clare Nash born 12th April 1883 to Joseph A Nash and Minnie Ellen Nash of Carrignabar (sp), Factory Hill, (I think in a town called midleton Cork.

I still have seen no new entry from Hugh, do you know any way of contacting him?

Regards Donaldm

Offline palmeira

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 09:24 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I have his email address!

Will contact you privately...don't like to post Hugh's details online!

Cheers!