Author Topic: Patronymics - Change of Surname at Marriage c1850s  (Read 9139 times)

Offline kidsnana

• RootsChat Member
  • Thomas Thomas 1934
    • View Profile
Patronymics - Change of Surname at Marriage c1850s
« on: Monday 08 November 10 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi,I have just received a marriage cert.for my relatives Margaret Roberts (maiden name),Terfyn Rhiw and David Roberts (Craig Bryncroes) June 10th 1848 Parish Church Rhiw, witnesses were William Parry and Thomas Roberts.My question is on the cert it states Margarets father as Robert Williams and Davids father as Robert Griffith,can anyone give me an explanation for this,is it patrynomics if so where do i go from here.
   Thank you in advance, Kidsnana
Thomas,Ellis,Roberts  Davies N.Wales
Jones,Miller,Fulton ,Liverpool.
Bryncroes Sarn Rhiw,Cwm Dyserth,LLannasa.

Offline Mair

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Patronomycs
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 November 10 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kidsnana

Simple answer is "yes" this is patronymics.  children of the father taking the father's first name as their surname.

http://www.welshleigh.org/genealogy/welshnames.html
http://www.amlwchhistory.co.uk/newdata/welshsurnames.htm

So if seeking them in 1841 the fathers surname is the one to seek for the family - not Roberts!

Add to the mix is that not everyone followed strict order but then sometimes the wife/mother retained her maiden name - but may not be recorded by Enumerators et al due to the records being in English.

It is confusing

M
Rowland/s- Hughes -Caernarfornshire/Stockport Cheshire
Barnicoat - Cornwall Lancashire Stockport,Cheshire
Jones (!) - Caernarvonshire,NWales  USA - Iowa, Wisconsin, S Dakota.
Thomas - Anglesey, USA Iowa, Oregon

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 November 10 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi kidsnana

Confusing isn't it ;D    One set of 2nd great grandparents in my family did the same thing at their 1853 marriage at Llanddeiniolen. The registrar at Caernarfon told me it was not uncommon practice in the area at that time.   It was variation of patronymics which occured during a revival of Welsh customs.    

Going forward the children would have been baptized and known as Roberts.  Going back you should find Margaret Williams with father Robert and David Griffith with father Robert in baptism records and on the 1841 census.   It's likely their siblings also changed their surname at marriage.  

HTH
Heather
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kidsnana

• RootsChat Member
  • Thomas Thomas 1934
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 November 10 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Oops,sorry about the spelling.Thank you both for your replies,i will try and get it sorted,all so very confusing.
   Thanks again,Kidsnana
Thomas,Ellis,Roberts  Davies N.Wales
Jones,Miller,Fulton ,Liverpool.
Bryncroes Sarn Rhiw,Cwm Dyserth,LLannasa.