Author Topic: Pte Edgar Samuel Balls...Second Boer War  (Read 2355 times)

Offline Balls

• RootsChat Extra
  • Edgar Samuel Balls b1876 Gt Yarmouth & Family
    • View Profile
Pte Edgar Samuel Balls...Second Boer War
« on: Monday 08 November 10 16:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I've posted about this guy before, my Great Grandfather, Edgar Samuel Balls b1876 in Gt Yarmouth.  I've done some more research and I think I've found his unit etc.  On the 1901 census he is listed as Samuel Balls, Private, Infantry Militia in barracks in Colchester.  The C/O listed is Lt Col Edmund Roger Allday Kerrison of the Infantry Militia.  I have looked him up and found that he commanded 4th Batt Norfolk Regiment, 1900 to 1905.  I'm therefore presuming Edgar Samuel was in this same regiment.

According to a document dated 1906, he was awarded the QSA and KSA medals, for his involvement in the Second Boer War.

I think the 4th Batt. Norfolk Rgt was at Paardeberg, South Africa, according to Wikepedia. I still can't find any trace of Edgar Samuel, or his medals or service history. As I've said previously, he may have been known as just plain "Samuel" and not Edgar Samuel.  I know he wasn't killed in SA and was alive in 1911, also, I can't find any record of his death, maybe someone has an idea as to how I can find his death too.

All help appreciated.

Cheers David
Balls, Godfrey (Gt Yarmouth) Balls, Hancock, Breeze, Liversidge, Ledger, Snidall, Cherrill, Guelder, Holmes, Frost, Ibbotson, Gibbons (Sheffield area) Breeze (Dawley, Shropshire) Mumford-Mason, Hammerton (Worsborough Dale) Cherrill (Lincolnshire)

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Pte Edgar Samuel Balls...Second Boer War
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 November 10 11:42 GMT (UK) »
An S Balls is listed twice in the new database on Ancestry

3 Bn Norfolk Regt
In the roll for the KSA medal

Same regiment
SA Medal, with marks showing service in Cape Colony and the Orange Free State

No sure if this is yours

Bob
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline Balls

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 November 10 15:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Bob, well spotted.  I didn't know those records existed on Ancestry.  Someone on the medals forum came up with the same records, now all I have to do is to prove/disprove that it's my G Grandad, easier said than done, I think.

Cheers David
Balls, Godfrey (Gt Yarmouth) Balls, Hancock, Breeze, Liversidge, Ledger, Snidall, Cherrill, Guelder, Holmes, Frost, Ibbotson, Gibbons (Sheffield area) Breeze (Dawley, Shropshire) Mumford-Mason, Hammerton (Worsborough Dale) Cherrill (Lincolnshire)

Offline Balls

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 22:10 BST (UK) »
Hi, I've been doing more research on this guy and discovered he was using his step fathers surname (Vincent) when it suited him. I've found his service records and wondered if anyone familiar with what they mean could take a look and decipher various dated notes etc.

The faded script on the record reads "Select to come under the provision of special army order dated 2nd April 1898

Judging by what I've managed to read, I think he was a bit of a naughty boy.
Thanks

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 09:54 BST (UK) »
Special Army Order..... was an army wide change in the way soldiers' messing (food) allowances were dealt with, fiendishly complicated and the rules changed more than once so not really of great importance to his service record.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Balls

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 11:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks, can anyone decipher what some of the other stuff means?

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 13:38 BST (UK) »
Attested (at the Depot) Lincolns – joined Oct 92
Transferred to 1st Battalion – Jan 93
Appointed Lance Corporal with pay Dec 94
Demoted to private (misconduct) Dec 94
Transferred to 2nd Battalion Feb 95
Absent 24 12 92 to 2 Jan 93 while with 1st Bn (out of sequence)
In confinement awaiting trial 27 May 95  (conduct sheet not in this extract)
Tried by District Court Martial sentenced to 84 days 4 Jun 95
In prison 4 Jun 95 to 26 Aug 95
(Overwritten)
Granted 1d (a day) Good conduct pay 6 Feb 98
Forfeited GC Pay 5 Aug 98
Restored 1d (a day) GC pay 4 Apr 00
Forfeited GC pay 12 Apr 01
Restored 1d (a day) GC pay 5 Sep 01(out of sequence)
Posted 1st Battalion 5 Apr 00
Posted 2nd Bn 22 Sep 00
Bounty and war gratuity for SA paid in dates in 02
Transferred to the Reserve 18 Feb 03 (goes home but still formally committed)
Discharged 23 Oct 04

Has served a total of 12 Years including the reserve only 10 years 27 days to count for pension (because of absence and prison)

From the other sheets of his record:
He served in 4th Battalion Norfolks (militia) before his full time service with the Lincolns
In South Africa 4 Jan 00 to 18 Apr 00 and 22 Sep 00 to 6 Sep 02 otherwise service in UK

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline Balls

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 16:17 BST (UK) »
That's brilliant MaxD thanks very much....Like I said, sounds like a bit of a bad lad, kept swapping from his real name to his step name and back again.

I also found him in the police gazette 4th September 1900 missing from Parkhurst, don't know what all that was about.

He was also in the RFA in 1st WW and I think he went awol in 1916, but I can't find much about that.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 16:59 BST (UK) »
There is certainly a Great War medal roll entry for an ES Vincent in the RFA originally of 4th Div Ammo Column joined 23 8 14 annotated "no medals" and " deserted 21 10 1916" (although his medal card shows the medals!).  He was still on the run in Dec 1919 when the second medal roll was compiled.
His service record though has not survived.

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk