Author Topic: Tinkers: McArthurs  (Read 16152 times)

Offline Eleesavet

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tinkers: McArthurs
« on: Monday 08 November 10 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know if there was a family of tinkers called McArthurs(MacArthurs) in Perthshire?

I thought I saw McArthurs listed as tinkers in one of my census searches at Perth local library, but I can't be sure.  I was checking censuses going back to 1841 for St Martins/Cargill areas.  My Aunt says she remembers a girl called McArthur who was from a tinker family in her class at school (Perth Northern District (?) late 1920s to early 1930s.  She says that the family lived on a site near to where Inveralmond cottages once were.

I would be interested in the history of any McArthur tinkers.

Liz

Perthshire: MacArthur, Whittet, Mill (Milne), Alexander, Shaw, Pearson, Henderson, Rennie, Comrie, Braid, Ritchie, Roy, MacKillop, Keill, Cumming, Taylor, Marshall, Young, Miller, MacVicar, Murray, Cameron, Croll, Christie, Gloag, Gorrie, Stobbie, Lunnan, Thomson, Crerar, Hepburn.
Dundee: Mill (Milne).
Aberdeen: Mill (Milne).
Skye: MacIntosh, Stewart, MacQueen, Matheson, Morrison, Nicholson, MacLeod, Finlayson.
Peebles: Dickson, Sandilands, Rule, Johnstone.
Edinburgh: Thomson, Sandilands.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Tinkers: McArthurs
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 November 10 23:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Liz

There is this entry in 1901:

James Mcarthur 28, tinsmith, Camelon, Stirlingshire...age possibly wrong? Shows as father to the children
Mary Mcarthur   30, wife
Jane Mcarthur 15 b. Camelon, Stirlingshire
Cathrine Mcarthur 13, b.    Auchterhouse, Forfarshire
David Mcarthur 11 b. Muir of Ord, Royshire
Peter Mcarthur 30, brother b. St Vigeans, Forfarshire

Address:    Strolling Tinkers  - Cargill, Perthshire

Also, found one more:

John Mcarthur 60, Travelling Tinsmith b. Arbroath, Forfarshire
Peter Mcarthur 21 Travelling Tinsmith
James Mcarthur 28 Travelling Tinsmith
Peter Mcarthur 30 Travelling Tinsmith
Jeannie Mcarthur 15
Catherine Mcarthur 13
Bella Mcarthur 6
Maggie Mcarthur 4

Address:   On Road At Cronan, Coupar Angus

The nature of travelling people, these may have nothing to do with the McArthur family you refer to 20/30 years later.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Eleesavet

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 November 10 06:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,

Thank you for taking the time to pass on these details.

I can go back to Donald (Daniel) McArthur and his wife Janet Alexander who were living in the area of Cargill, Perthshire.  From the information I have, Donald was a forester.  Their son John, from whom I descend, was a mason in that area. 

I wonder if there is a family connection with the McArthurs you listed and those on my tree.  What is interesting is the same names which occur in my family and those listed i.e James, David and Peter.

I shall make further enquires to see if I can make a connection.  I will see if I can find strolling tinkers of the name McArthur going back to 1841.

Would you know of any website with information on Perthshire strolling tinkers?  Would the death of STs be registered in the same way?  Would they be found in the local graveyards?

This may be a very stupid point to make, but I will make it anyway, I take it that  Scotland's tinkers have a different heritage/ancestry to that of Romany Gypsies.  My understanding is that Scotland's tinkers are from displaced Scottish families who chose to travel from place to place, plying their trade, as opposed to settling in one place to make a living.

There were so many McArthurs in the Perthshire area.  Is it possible that they all had a blood connection?

Liz

Perthshire: MacArthur, Whittet, Mill (Milne), Alexander, Shaw, Pearson, Henderson, Rennie, Comrie, Braid, Ritchie, Roy, MacKillop, Keill, Cumming, Taylor, Marshall, Young, Miller, MacVicar, Murray, Cameron, Croll, Christie, Gloag, Gorrie, Stobbie, Lunnan, Thomson, Crerar, Hepburn.
Skye: MacIntosh, Stewart, MacQueen, Matheson, Morrison, Nicholson, MacLeod, Finlayson.

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 November 10 07:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Liz
I remember my late father telling me he new of a tinker by the name of Mcgregor who stayed around the Stanley area and every year come April he would leave Stanley and walk to the Ullapool area, and make the return Journey around November.
also i Remember in the Sixties There was a Tinkers encampment at Inveralmond Just below the railway bridge I don't know any of the names but in the seventies and eighties I think as I was gone by then I think they were moved to permanent housing in hunters crescent muirton area's and also to the permanent camp at double dykes.
There was also a summer camp for tinkers at campsi linn area of stanley as a lot of them got work at sheilhill farm.
Yours Aye
BruceL

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 November 10 08:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Liz

I am not familiar with Scottish travelling people history, sorry. Given you are looking at a specific area, this might be a good one perhaps to take to a local history group to see what they have for records and knowledge on the subject.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 November 10 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Liz

looking at your post again. if you have not read them can I suggest you read Jess Smith's autobiography it details her life as one of Scotlands travellers (Tinker) in one of her books she describes the burial of the Tinker King (will have to check book if I have used correct description) but he was buried in a secluded glen somewhere in Perthshire not a conventional burrial ground.
There is also a list of books here that may be worth looking at and give you some pointers.
http://www.visitdunkeld.com/scottish-tinkers.htm
http://www.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-000-464-782-C

Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline Eleesavet

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 November 10 05:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Liz

I am not familiar with Scottish travelling people history, sorry. Given you are looking at a specific area, this might be a good one perhaps to take to a local history group to see what they have for records and knowledge on the subject.

Monica

Hi Monica,

Thank you for your reply and what a great idea to contact a local history group, I most likely will do that.

Liz

Offline Eleesavet

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 November 10 05:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Liz

looking at your post again. if you have not read them can I suggest you read Jess Smith's autobiography it details her life as one of Scotlands travellers (Tinker) in one of her books she describes the burial of the Tinker King (will have to check book if I have used correct description) but he was buried in a secluded glen somewhere in Perthshire not a conventional burrial ground.
There is also a list of books here that may be worth looking at and give you some pointers.
http://www.visitdunkeld.com/scottish-tinkers.htm

http://www.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-000-464-782-C

Yours Aye
BruceL

Hi Bruce,

Thank you for taking the time to reply and for the information provided in both replies.  They are appreciated.
Having been brought up in Perth, reading of the place names you mention made be feel quite nostalgic. 
I too remember the encampment at Inveralmond but was not aware of the other two encampments.  It must have been difficult for travelling families to make the transition to a settled lifestyle and permanent housing.  I regret that as a Perthite I was not more aware of their history and the richness of their culture.  But I look forward to correcting that by starting to read the books you refer me to, who knows I might even find a few ancestors.
Thank you for referring me to those websites.
I may also contact a local history society, as suggested by Monica.

Yours Aye,
Liz

Offline smudger1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Liz     

When I was a laddie, there were a family of travellers who lived "doon the Tay Watter"in Perth. There were Lizzie. Davie and, intermittently, their son, Major.  We knew them well.  They also camped with us at Luncarty, Stanley and Blairgowrie. Among others that I remember are Townsends, McPhees and Lowthers. 
If you have not yet done so, you might want to find a book called "The Book of Sandy Stewart".  It chronicles a period of Sandy and Peggy Stewart"s life.  If memory serves, the book came out of thesis research.  I do have a copy of the book, so if it is unavailable to you for some reason I could loan it to you.
Just incidentally , in reading novels by Scottish authors I notice that many words in seemingly daily use in Scotland come from the Cant.  That was an arcane form of Scots used among travellers.

I hope some of this is helpful.

Best wishes
Harry, Mink and proud!