Author Topic: Bates Family  (Read 19825 times)

Offline Bryan Bates

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bates Family
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 13 July 11 00:44 BST (UK) »
My ongoing investigations to find where Joseph Bates came from made me review all the information collected so far.  I looked again at the flaxgrowers of 1796 in Donegal list and found:

Armstrong               George                Donaghmore            Donegal
and
Bates                   David                 Donaghmore            Donegal

Often christian names of grandparents are given to first and second born.
Joseph Bates and Elizabeth Armstrong had a first child named George Bates and a second child they named David Bates.
Seems too coincidental that two people lived in Donaghmore with the same surnames as my ancestors, while the children of my ancestors had the same christian names. My focus is now on Donaghmore.

An interesting search site is http://www.cotyroneireland.com/index.html
Does anyone else have any other suggestions for information in the Donaghmore area?

Offline Bryan Bates

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 13 November 11 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Some of the Bates family moved to St Helens, and one son, Charles Bates took his family to Philadelphia.  Charles and his family returned to Liverpool in late 1863.  I am looking for the passenger list that shows his return. 

There are a lot of lists out of Liverpool to the USA but where do I find lists for passengers coming into Liverpool in 1863?

Offline Alan Papprill

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 27 July 14 07:54 BST (UK) »
My mother was Margaret Rebecca Bates - father John George Orr Bates - mother Matilda Thompson.(Letterkenny) The family came from Carnowen. Donaghamore. I have the family traced to 1850. The Bates family appear to have come from Garrison Hill.
My Grandfather's brother was David Roulston Bates.
Do you have any information that would connect my Bates family to your research?
Regards
Alan

Offline Bryan Bates

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 28 July 14 04:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan,
None of those names are familiar or show up in my research. There may be a connection a generation or two earlier as the location is close to where my research has been. Therefore let me know if you find anything further back.
cheers
Bryan

Offline Don_Erskine

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 10 November 17 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bryan & everyone. Some of you may know I am also descended from Joseph & Elizabeth BATES.

Joseph & Elizabeth BATES' offspring carried the middle names HEYES, ARMSRONG and GUSTAVUS.

I think that some of these are maiden surnames of female ancestors.

HEYES is an unusual surname but I have noted it seems to be relatively common in St Helens.

named.publicprofiler.org maps places in the UK where 'surnames have a historically unusually high local population.' (maps attached to this post)

'named' does not state the data sources used, 'historical' date range, or whether or not data is weighted to allow for population density, etc.

The search results are therefore qualitative, but informative nonetheless.

The surname maps of ARMSTRONG and HEYES suggest a strong ancestral connection with Lancashire.

I therefore think that the BATES had family connections with Lancashire/ St Helens prior to the 1840s, and this is why they returned there when they left Ireland.

For the same reasons I am sceptical about the BATES & ARMSTRONG families being descended from Scottish planters.

If GUSTAVUS is a surname, it is rare in the UK.