Author Topic: Harriet HILL Hobart Town Tasmania  (Read 4004 times)

Offline Barb Mullen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Harriet HILL Hobart Town Tasmania
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 06:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Annette,

Are you related to my great great grandparents? John Hill and Eliza Banks?

Eliza's parents were: Henry Banks and Hannah Bush. I think Hannah remarried after Henry's death, to a convict from Tasmania.

Harriet Hill and John Wright Dare had:

James Dare who married Taresa Mattei (my grandparents)

My other information about the family of Harriet and John Wright Dare is not only my Family Tree Maker data base (it is extensive) but I have it on hard copy.

Of the family I can tell you bits and pieces from memory (read it for the flavour rather than absolute accuracy). It seems a sad story. John Wright Dare was a mining engineer. The couple were in Staffordshire Reef for their early married years. There was the tragic loss of life of two boys: one run over by a cart outside the front of the home, the other drowned in a dam/pond on the way to school (?) the autopsy revealed badly bruised liver which was perhaps the actual cause of death (?).

When the three youngest children were found by the 'welfare' wandering the streets. Mum was struggling. She later died of Bright's disease (a kidney disease). She may have had a drinking problem, she may have been in a disreputable state.

Meanwhile in Gippsland: Donelly's Creek and thereabouts, eldest daughter Rebecca was living as was dad (aka George?). The other children had also moved on. Sarah was married to Masterton and ran a big store in Matlock. James at a young age went to Kalgoorlie to mine in the rush there and returned to visit his sister in Matlock where he met my grandma.

The three youngest siblings were adopted out and were 'forgotten' by the family until in the 1960's perhaps, Albert Dare visited my granma and contact was re established. It is Albert's son Kelvin who has done so much of the family history.

I have been rushed myself and haven't looked at the resources mentioned in the earlier emails above. I will treat myself to a look now.

Let me know if this is of any help/interest, ok?

cheers,
Barb

Offline annette ellen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 07 May 17 05:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Barb,

It is Rebecca Dare b 1863 who married Michael James Hammond that is the connection I have been checking . I only have a little bit of info and was John Wright Dare the convict that Harriet married? 
If Hannah Hill  married after her first Husband died and she married John Dare and had all the children that they did.
If you can help with any info about them and any photos that would be a bonus.
thanks for what you have sent me and it will make interesting reading.

Cheers Annette
Dundee, Montrose, Perthshire, Errol,- Ireland , Birmingham, Huddersfield, England, Rotterdam, Holland.
Kettles, Kettle, Young, Archibald, Smith, Greive, Philp, Gibson, Mason, Bent, White, Cunneen, Cahill, Pratt, Frost, Bridges, Mothersole, Money, Roche/Roach, Lenehan/ Linehan/ Linahan, Leonard, Sayles, Waren/Warren, Johnson, Berigan/Bergin/Berrigan/Birgin, Janssen.
Steel, McNab, Christie, Kelly, Fraser.

Offline Barb Mullen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 08 May 17 08:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Annette,

My mum, Rita MULLEN (nee DARE) visited her aunty Bec when she was really little. Rebecca HAMMOND (nee DARE) was living in Brighton in a large place, she said, where they kept ducks and poultry. Michael James HAMMOND was a gardener at the local church I believe. She said aunty Bec was a fantastic cook and she made crumpets on the slow combustion stove.

John DARE m Sarah WRIGHT in England, presumably Cornwall. They were parents to:
John Wright DARE who died 1894. John 'George' Wright DARE was a mining engineer. I heard he jumped ship to go to the goldfields but never found out. He was called George by those who knew him in Toombon/Donelly's Creek area where he spent his last years. He was highly respected but was not a financial success. Rebecca nursed him in his final years I believe.

Henry BANKS m Hannah BUSH and were parents to:
Eliza BANKS b 1804 d 1886 m John HILL 1832. Later married Samuel HOCKEY (ex convict) b 1811 d 1886. Eliza and John HILL were parents to:
Harriet Eliza b1842 on board ship en route to Aust d 1891

John 'George' Wright DARE and Harriet Hill m 1858 and were parents to:
12 children.

I have attached a photo of my grandma Taresa DARE out the front of her place at Kevington, Victoria where she ran a residential hotel and a post office. she is the shorter woman, just under 5 foot. On her left is Rebecca HAMMOND, a much taller woman. I am not super sure of the children but they were probably my aunts and my mum. I haven't worked on the photo to try to identify all parties etc. Please acknowledge that the source of the photo as Barb Mullen, the Dare Collection.

cheers,
Barb