Author Topic: Anne REILLY Beggars Bush born 1840 +/-  (Read 14337 times)

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anne REILLY Beggars Bush born 1840 +/-
« on: Wednesday 10 November 10 22:15 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for any information or guidance to locate more information on an ancestor named
ANNE REILLY

When she married BENJAMIN JOHNS on September 14th 1863 in the Parish Church of St Peter (CoI) she was described as living at Beggars Bush with no profession given and full age.
Her father's name was given on his marriage cert as James Reilly; labourer.

As all her children were raised catholics I can only presume that she was herself was a catholic although married in the CoI Parish church

Her DoB is between 1838 and 1845 as her age varies:
1863 on marriage cert FULL implies born 1842 or before
1901 on census aged 56 implies born 1845
1911 on census aged 70 implies born 1842
1914 on Death Cert 76 implies born 1838

Her family were
Richard was born in Sept 1864 in Parsonstown, King's County (now Birr, Co. Offaly, Ireland)
Benjamin was born in Sealkote, West Bengal, India in August 1871
William was born in Nowshera, West Bengal, India; although the 1901 census states Cherat
Three more siblings were born in Dublin
Julia 1878 (m. Michael DOYLE)
James 1881 and
Christina 1882 (m. Nicholas HARDING)
According to the 1911 census there was a seventh sibling that I have not located to date.

Benjamin JOHNS died on October 8th 1885 aged 45 approximately in the Meath Hospital, Dublin; he was living in Harold's Cross. He is buried in Mount Jerome Cemetery.

Anne REILLY JOHNS died 29 years later on November 19th 1914 at 6 Mountain View Avenue, Harold's Cross, Dublin and is buried in Mount Jerome Cemetery.

I have found out information on Benjamin's side and I would love to go back further now on Anne's. If anyone has information, or can tell me where to look with the amount of info that I have I would appreciate it.
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
Re: Anne REILLY Beggars Bush born 1840 +/-
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 November 10 12:24 GMT (UK) »
from the childrens' births, it looks as if Benjamin might have been in the Army? There was an Army Barracks at Crinkill, Birr(Parsonstown).

And Beggars Bush was an Army Barracks. Maybe this is something to look into?

eadaoin
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 November 10 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Eadaoin
Benjamin was in the army - I located him from another RC's advice
He joined the 58th and moved to the 83rd Foot battalion.
He was from Cornwall and enlisted there and had a varied army career that brought him all over the world.
His parents (Benjamin and Elizabeth ROWE) and siblings are listed on UK census throughout the 1800s.
He obviously met his wife in Dublin or she may even have been the daughter of an army colleague with the address Beggar's Bush.
Unfortunately I can't seem to get more than her Father's name so far.
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 November 10 15:05 GMT (UK) »
Difficult to know where to start with Anne and her father...  the first clue that I see is that Anne has entered 'Co. Dublin' as her place of birth on both the 1911 and 1901 census returns - which at least cuts down the area a little bit. Based on the location of Anne's marriage and where they lived afterwards I'd say south County Dublin was a possibility.

The difficult bit is tracking the correct Reilly (or O'Reilly) family without knowing where in Co. Dublin they lived. Do any other Reilly names appear as baptism sponsors or witnesses etc ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline DarrenO

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 April 11 22:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Myluck

A work colleague is a descendent of Benjamin and Anne via their son William, I've advised him on tracing his ancestors and due to this thread got him started on his family tree. I'd like to get the two of you in touch if you could pm me your email address I'll get him to contact you as it would appear you've done a lot of work already.

Regards
Darren
Rourke's, Bowe's and Lawlor's of Carlow  Adamson's, Walker's, Nugent's and Murphy's of Dublin  O'Dea's and Keating's of Limerick  Murtagh's and Reilly's of Westmeath

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 April 11 09:52 BST (UK) »
Darren
I haven't got much further that what's here but I have a few snipets - I've sent email in pm
I would love to share whatever we can to help
I still haven't found any more on Anne  :'(

Nor have i ever found the seveth JOHNS child - because of the extensive travel with this family although documented on army records; this child could have been born anywhere!
With no idea whether male or female nor when he/she died (except that it was before 1911).

If there is anyone else out there - all leads welcome
Further generations:

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 October 11 13:35 BST (UK) »
Update
With the new information on IrishGenealogy I have located the seventh child
Her name was Mary Anne and she married Edward Hayes in 1887; their marriage record luckily records both parents names and confirms her as Benjamin and Anne's daughter.

She was then one of the older of the family and possibly born in India or abroad
Further generations:

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 October 12 17:01 BST (UK) »
Update on Mary Anne JOHNS-HAYES

She was widowed young and died young herself
She obviously hit hard times after being widowed

If anyone can shed any more light on this family it would be great - thanks
Further generations:

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 October 12 20:50 BST (UK) »
Hi 'myluck'

I know you're super good at this so you've probably exhausted every avenue already lol !

Can you specify what exactly you are looking for at the mo and I'll have a look and see can I find anything !

Tara