Author Topic: Little Girl Sent To Greece - 1876  (Read 2175 times)

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • "Family ~ link to our past, bridge to our future"
    • View Profile
Little Girl Sent To Greece - 1876
« on: Saturday 13 November 10 01:04 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure if I have mentioned this on the forum, before, but I would welcome any thoughts on the subject.

According to family legend, when my great great grandfather, Nicholas Svombo, died in Cardiff, in 1876, his youngest child, Anne Cleopatra, aged 3, was sent to live with relatives in Greece.

Further family legends claim that some male relatives ~ soldiers in World War One & presumably her nephews ~ were in Athens and saw her in church. She was, apparently, quite a grand lady but they had to move on, so couldn't speak to her.

Yet another story states that she came back to Wales, seeking her sister, Maria Calliope.

I am aware that stories may be used to cover facts, so it is possible that the child was fostered locally, but my great grandfather was convinced that she did go to Greece, and always hoped to see her again.

I am bewildered as to how these nephews would have found her or recognised her, since her own brother didn't know how to contact her.

It's a huge mystery and we don't know where to go with this.

I have been in touch with members of the Svombos family who still live in Greece and they don't seem to know about her. I have contacted some Greek publications, but to no avail.

I doubt that we shall ever be able to find out what really happened, but I would still be grateful for any ideas, please :)
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones
Birmingham: Neale Sarjant Cole Hiley Berridge Tirebuck

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Little Girl Sent To Greece - 1876
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 November 10 10:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello Tricia,

Who is Calliope in the censuses? Are you saying that she is Mary Catherine born 1876?

Free BMD has a birth for Cleopatra in 1873. The nearest Svombo births are Margaret 1871 and Mary Catherine 1876 but there are no Calliope births.

1881 RG11; Piece: 5278; Folio: 11; Page: 15
has Ellen- now Mrs Callaghan with a daughter 8 yrs (born 1873) - transcribed as Pellipe and altered to Calliope.

1891 RG12; Piece: 4391; Folio 61; Page 44
Calliope Svombo 20 yrs (b abt 1871) is a barmaid in Cardiff

Free BMD marriage 1896 - Calliope's marriage to William Spencer and she is with him in 1901 census. She is back to a birth of around 1874.

Where is Mary Catherine in 1881 and 1891?
I think I may have found her- she is the daughter of Lazzaro.

Which one is your Maria? Where is she in censuses? Is she the older Mary A/Ellen?

regards
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 November 10 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,

It is complicated isn't it? I have looked at some published family trees where Margaret and Maria Calliope are the same person. As you can probably deduce, I was thinking that Cleopatra and Caliiope were the same person.
As it stands- one or other is missing anyway in 1881. :-\
I notice that there is reference to a baptism for Margaret in 1871- was she baptised as Margaret or Maria Calliope?
Similarly, is there a baptism for Ann Cleopatra?
I know this won't solve your puzzle but I just wondered.

heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 November 10 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello Heywood. :)

Yes, one of the hurdles in this family is the multiplication of names ~ including Anglicisation.

Mary Calliope / Maria Calliope/ Margaret ~ all the same person.
We think that Mary Ellen, Elizabeth and Cecilia Johanna may all be the same person, too.
Also Stimati / Demetrius / Horatio / Matthew.
And yes, Mary Catherine / Maria Catherine was Lazzaro / Lazaras / ML / Laurence's daughter :)
My own ancestor was Constantine / Garrett Aristadis / Charles / Stan(t)

Maria Calliope we know about ~ indeed, her grandson is a member of this site.

There are still a number of mysteries to clear up, but the main one, I think, concerns Anne Cleopatra.
Someone must have known where she went ~ yet no-one seems to know where she went.
My great grandfather was a cabin boy at sea and when he returned with a doll for his baby sister, she had disappeared. To the end of his life this was a matter of heartbreak for him and he never forgave his mother.

Curiouser and curiouser :)
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 March 16 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi :)

Time moves on and we still haven't managed to find out what happened to gt gt aunt Anne Cleopatra Svombo - Άννα Κλεοπάτρα Σβόμπου (Σβόμπος / Σβόμπο) - who supposedly was sent back to Greece from Cardiff in the 1870s as a young child.

We keep hoping that someone somewhere might notice something while they are looking through records. If you know anything, then do please get in touch.

Thank you :)