Author Topic: This is all I have- McDonnell  (Read 3884 times)

Offline Bardany

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
This is all I have- McDonnell
« on: Saturday 07 November 09 10:40 GMT (UK) »
My gr-gr-grandfather Edward McDonnell was born in the parish or town of Clones in June 1834 so his military discharge says. I do not know the exact address or his parents names. Do I have any chance of finding any records and if so where do I begin.??? There are no records apparently on the IFHF website.
Barr,Hughes,McGuigan,McDonnell,Lavery, Weir,McGurk, McKee, Campbell Ambrose Sweeney O.Donnell Tennyson Mackle

Offline GAJM

• I have turned off all notifications of new replies
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: This is all I have- McDonnell
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 November 09 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Have you found his marriage record? Where did he marry?

Also a clue might be in his children's names.

Usually named after grandparents etc.

Ger

Offline Bardany

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 November 09 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the response. He joined the Royal Artillery in Lisburn Co. Antrim in Jan 1853. In Nov 1859 he married Margaret Ambrose in Ballincollig, Co. Cork where he was stationed and she was born. He had 5 children  James- Annie- Elizabeth[ my gr-grandmother ] Margaret and Catherine. He served in the Crimean war and in India [for 5 years ]
Barr,Hughes,McGuigan,McDonnell,Lavery, Weir,McGurk, McKee, Campbell Ambrose Sweeney O.Donnell Tennyson Mackle

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 November 09 18:14 GMT (UK) »
My gr-gr-grandfather Edward McDonnell was born in the parish or town of Clones in June 1834 so his military discharge says. I do not know the exact address or his parents names. Do I have any chance of finding any records and if so where do I begin.??? There are no records apparently on the IFHF website.

Religion?
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Bardany

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 November 09 18:40 GMT (UK) »
The church where he married was Roman Catholic and all of his children were brought up in that. I have now checked Griffiths Valuation and there are plenty of possibilities but without a father or mother's name I am afraid I have hit the wall. Thanks for your interest.
Bardany

Offline Bardany

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 September 10 10:27 BST (UK) »
Hello Again. I need some guidance or advice. I have managed to get some Military Records for my gr-gr-granda. He was Edward McDonnell and he enlisted in the Royal Artillery inJanuary 1852. The only information about his birth is that he was born in Clones in June 1834-that is all -no Parish or Townland. His fathers name was James-no mother's name. Do I have any prospect of going any further with this before I commit to a visit to Monaghan??
Many thanks Bardany

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 September 10 10:37 BST (UK) »
do you know what religion the family were ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 September 10 10:55 BST (UK) »
I see from another post (This is all I have) that you believe that the McDonnell family were Catholic. Records for the RC parish of Clones are available in the National Library, Dublin and PRONI. see Clones RC Parish (Irish Times)

Baptism records for the parish only go back to 1848, but marriages are included back to 1821 with some gaps. Using these it may be possible to find baptisms of possible siblings, or even a possible marriage of Edwards parents..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests