Author Topic: Drum, Co. Monaghan  (Read 35511 times)

Offline anniehadden

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Currin parish, Co. Monaghan - John Armstrong & Hannah Matthews
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 21 November 13 19:07 GMT (UK) »
I haven't ever seen records on a John Armstrong & wife Hannah Matthews in Co. Monaghan -- were they Protestant? Have you searched any of the church registers? My Armstrongs were mainly in Donaghmore and Pomeroy parishes in Co. Tyrone, from the mid-1700s-on, but they married into several Co. Monaghan families (McVitty/McVetty, for one) and we look at all the Armstrongs in the Clones-Currin-Killeevan area of Co. Monaghan, just in case we might find a relative. James and Francis/Frank were common given names in our Armstrong line. I've also looked up Armstrongs in Magheraculmoney parish, Co. Fermanagh, for a friend. Her ancestor Charles Armstrong of Tulnagin died in 1889 at age 81; his son George (born abt 1851) was his estate administrator. Glad to help further if possible.

Annie

Offline 1803Emirates

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Drum, Co. Monaghan
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 23 February 14 12:54 GMT (UK) »
hi michelle,
i am researching ROBERT HANNA of drum married ELIZA CRAWFORD circa 1840 immigrated to nz 1864
eliza's 2nd brother was REV JOHN CRAWFORD DD ruling elder  at first Drum church.
He married MARY ANN WEIR, their 7th child was ELIZA JANE CRAWFORD born 23.2.1876 Drumgole Co Monaghan.eliza jane married JOHN WILLIAM FLACK circa 1906.John was born 1874 Co Cavan died 31.5.1951 Both are buried in Drum churchyard Co Monaghan.
child of eliza and john flack is ELIZABETH JANE PHOEBE FLACK born 1907 co cavan died 31.10.1993
Known as phoebe buried Drum presbyterian churchyard,Never Married,Matron of military hospital Bangor
norther ireland.
cheers

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 23 February 14 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Think there's a bit of confusion here-
REV JOHN CRAWFORD DD ruling elder  at first Drum church.

Ruling Elder means he was the senior Elder in the church, not that he was minister there. I've checked the history of 1st Drum Presbyterian Church and there was a Rev. James Dawson Crawford (ordained 1849 and left in 1866). Could he be the connection?

Did come across this thread on another forum-
http://www.irelandxo.com/node/30826
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline 1803Emirates

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 23 February 14 14:09 GMT (UK) »
yes! this information did come from the ireland reaching out site
and it maybe incorrect as the rev john crawford who married mary anna weir appears not to be the same rev john crawford who was a missionary in damascus as he married to mary beattie stewart.
i am still assuming that john crawford was the brother of rev dr james dawson crawford

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 23 February 14 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Would you like me to do a bit of searching and see if I can find anything further of the Reverend Crawfords?

Offline 1803Emirates

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 23 February 14 14:41 GMT (UK) »
yes i would love to find more information on the rev crawfords

i am trying to find robert hanna's family the husband of eliza crawford (both of drum)

eliza being the sister of john crawford and thr rev james dawson crawford

i am getting closer but not there yet,any help on that front would also be most appreciated

thank you

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 23 February 14 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Right, give me a bit of time to check files  :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 23 February 14 20:51 GMT (UK) »
There is a very, very extensive family tree online which gives as it's main source a family tree drawn up c1900 and includes Thomas Crawford and wife Phoebe Toppin (Topping?).

One thing of concern for any of the details I found online is the Will of Rev. James Dawson Crawford: Probate of the Will of The Reverend James Dawson Crawford late of 104 University-street Belfast Presbyterian Minister who died 5 October 1902 granted at Belfast to Mary Alice Crawford the Widow.
Will mentions sister Phebe, sister Ann Jane Boles*, nephew Arthur Crawford Watt** (minister Free Church Cromie Scotland), brother Joseph Dawson Crawford DD (Liverpool), nephew John D Crawford (barrister, London).

* there is an Ann Boles in 1901 census that might be her but unfortunately it looks like her son Robert James Boles was born c1845 so her marriage is probably before the start of registration.
Probate of the Will of Anne Jane Boles late of Tomany County Monaghan Married Woman who died 18 April 1902 granted at Armagh to Samuel Boles the Husband and Robert J. Boles Farmers. Will mentions son Robert James
Ann Jane (c1823) www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Monaghan/Aghabog/Tomany/1632836
Robert James Bole (c1845) www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Monaghan/Aghabog/Tomany/805811

** wife Letitia's Will mentions her deceased sister Martha Watt so Arthur is likely Letitia's nephew.

James Dawson Crawford's marriage to Letitia in 1851, however, does show his father's name as John-
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FGCW-82F

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 23 February 14 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Regarding Robert Hanna of Drum-

Rev. Hugh Hanna was from Dromore, Co. Down & doesn't seen to have had a brother listed but you already know this-
http://www.belfastforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=52474.0