Author Topic: Drum, Co. Monaghan  (Read 35569 times)

Offline 1803Emirates

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Drum, Co. Monaghan
« Reply #27 on: Monday 24 February 14 07:44 GMT (UK) »
looks like we have picked up another sister of eliza jane crawford and brother rev dr james dawson crawford etc
ANN JANE CRAWFORD who married SAMUEL BOLES
parents of eliza jane,ann jane,rev james dawson crawford etc are
JOHN CRAWFORD 1795-1851 and JANE DAWSON 1795-1890

thank you

Offline 1803Emirates

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 24 February 14 07:49 GMT (UK) »
is it possible to send the link for family tree of thomas crawford and phoebe topping?

thank you

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 24 February 14 08:53 GMT (UK) »
The family tree I found gave Phoebe's name as Toppin (Topping is my interpretation of what it could be). You can find the tree either via Ancestry or Mundia if you don't have access to Ancestry. As with all online information this would need to be researched further and verified but you could try making contact with the submitter to exchange family information. The online tree does not seem to list Ann Jane Crawford as a sister so there could easily be errors or omissions. She was certainly listed in Joseph Dawson Crawford's Will but if she was his sister-in-law rather than actual sister then she would not have been Crawford.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline miccam04

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I'm only getting back to you. Yes Phoebe Flack was my great aunt and she was a lovely lady.  I seen her a couple of days before she died in the Ulster Hospital.  She loved her cats and had quite a few lol. Her sister Margaret was my granny.  I have a hand written family tree which was compiled by Thomas Crawford at New Bliss in 1907.  However it mostly names the males in the family.  I also have old photographs that my aunt Phoebe gave to me and I believe that these were of family members who had emigrated to New Zealand. I don't know who most of them are unfortunately.  In truth I'm a bit in the dark when it comes to the Crawford side of my family.  If you want to send me a private message with your address I could maybe post what I have to you. I wouldn't be able to scan the tree itself as it quite large, which is why I would need to post it.  Also I would appreciate any information you might have also.

Offline miccam04

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Me again, just looking through the photos I have and I have a a couple of rev dawson crawford. I also have one of Eliza hanna (nee Crawford) and wife of robert hanna taken in may 1883 and of roberts brothers snd also of what I think is eliza snd roberts 2 daughters, mary and tisha. Let me know if ur interested in any of these.  michelle

Offline 1803Emirates

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 17:48 GMT (UK) »
hi michelle,
that would be wonderful to have the family tree and copies of photos.
i have been unable to find any brothers of robert hanna husband of eliza
so am thrilled.
i would love to hear from you

Offline penne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 07 April 14 08:24 BST (UK) »
I am another soul looking for a Plunkett & Crawford in Monaghan. Thomas married Susanna Crawford in 1800, luckily he  was in the Army so the details survived.he was b circa 1775 in Monaghan After the birth of Mary in 1802, the family went to Woolwich where Thomas was born in 1804. Thomas applied for a transfer because of the pestilence, so it assumed both these babies died. However it is the Monaghan part of this family I am after. Oral history says Susanna's father was a Dr, this could be Medical or Religious. Rev Hugh Hanna was a executor of this Thomas's sister in law in Belfast in the 1860s so I am hoping someone can tie my non Catholic Crawfords-Plunketts into a tree somewhere.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Currin parish, Co. Monaghan - John Armstrong & Hannah Matthews
« Reply #34 on: Monday 21 July 14 22:31 BST (UK) »
I haven't ever seen records on a John Armstrong & wife Hannah Matthews in Co. Monaghan -- were they Protestant? Have you searched any of the church registers? My Armstrongs were mainly in Donaghmore and Pomeroy parishes in Co. Tyrone, from the mid-1700s-on, but they married into several Co. Monaghan families (McVitty/McVetty, for one) and we look at all the Armstrongs in the Clones-Currin-Killeevan area of Co. Monaghan, just in case we might find a relative. James and Francis/Frank were common given names in our Armstrong line. I've also looked up Armstrongs in Magheraculmoney parish, Co. Fermanagh, for a friend. Her ancestor Charles Armstrong of Tulnagin died in 1889 at age 81; his son George (born abt 1851) was his estate administrator. Glad to help further if possible.

Annie

I now have a transcript of the 1860 marriage of John and Hannah's daughter, Eliza Armstrong, which records her townland as Carne, Parish of Currin. Although I have found one mention of a Carne schoolhouse in Currin Parish, I have found no Carne townland, so suspect the townland was possibly Carnroe and perhaps known locally as Carn/e. Marriage transcript suggests witnesses were a Bessie Moyna and Susan Armstrong
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline dot163

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Presbyterian Graveyards in Drum area
« Reply #35 on: Monday 31 August 15 22:56 BST (UK) »
I'm researching a number of Co. Monaghan families, including some in Drum (Currin parish) and surrounding area. Surnames:  COLVIN/CALVIN, HADDEN/HADDON, RUSK, KELLS, HENRY, ARMSTRONG, JOHNSTON, ALLEN, NORRIS, and others. Are you there in County Monaghan for look-ups? I'm always glad to exchange information.

Annie

I just came across this old post but I wonder if you are still researching the Kells family.  My grandmother Sarah was Kells and was from Drum area.  She had brothers John, James, Josiah and William.  Is this your connection?