Author Topic: Drum, Co. Monaghan  (Read 35589 times)

Offline lynchris

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Any Presbyt. Graveyards in Carrickmacross or Drum area?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 13 December 05 22:44 GMT (UK) »
I already sent a message which has not appeared. There is a Pres. graveyard in Drum. My maternal grandfather (William Hall) andhis wife maiden name Margaret Lindsay are both buried there!
               Lynchris

Offline tullyboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 05 April 06 19:59 BST (UK) »
Yes there is a presbyterian cemetery in Carrickmacross as I remember my uncle telling me that cemetery was where the protestants were buried.
My father was born in Magheracloone on 12th April 1912 he was one of 11 children born at Derrynascobe

Offline otter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Drum has at least two Presbyterian graveyards.  The oldest is in the center of the village behind the old meetinghouse/school.  The newer one is beside the Drum Presbyterian Meetinghouse, which is still holding services.

I'm curious as to which Presbyterian family name you are researching in Drum.  Perhaps I can be of some help.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 15:05 GMT (UK) »
This is an old thread and DeirdreMc hasn't been online since Oct.2006.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline anniehadden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Presbyterian Graveyards in Drum area
« Reply #13 on: Friday 26 November 10 19:37 GMT (UK) »
I'm researching a number of Co. Monaghan families, including some in Drum (Currin parish) and surrounding area. Surnames:  COLVIN/CALVIN, HADDEN/HADDON, RUSK, KELLS, HENRY, ARMSTRONG, JOHNSTON, ALLEN, NORRIS, and others. Are you there in County Monaghan for look-ups? I'm always glad to exchange information.

Annie

Offline miccam04

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Drum, Co. Monaghan
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 10 October 13 22:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie

I just came across your post regarding Research on the Kells family name in Co Monaghan.  I know the post was made a few years ago but I was wondering if you would have any available information.  My mother's family all came from the Monaghan/Cavan area (maternal name is Flack).  My great aunt Phoebe Flack is buried at one of the presbyterian churches in Drum and died on 31st October 1993.  She was buried alongside her mother and father.  I'd appreciate any information you might have.

Many thanks.
Michelle Campbell

Offline anniehadden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Drum, Co. Monaghan - Kells family & Flack family
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 10 October 13 22:45 BST (UK) »
Michelle,

Do you mean that you'd like to know more about the KELLS family that I'm researching? Was your great-aunt Phoebe FLACK born a KELLS, married to a KELLS, or was she the daughter/granddaughter of a KELLS? Or did you mean that you're only looking for information on the FLACK family in County Monaghan? I'm glad to help if I have anything about your families.

Annie

Offline miccam04

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 11 October 13 00:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie

Sorry that message was a bit over the place.  My grandfather Thomas KELLS married Margaret Jane FLACK.  His parents were Francis KELLS and Margaret Jane?? FAULKENER.   Phoebe FLACK would have been his sister-in-law.   He was one of about 13 children, these included John Joseph KELLS who was killed on 1st July 1916 in WW1.  Other siblings included Richard, George, Eliza Jane and David.  David was the youngest member and he was a tailor/outfitters assistant who opened his own clothes shop "SD KELLS" which his son Roy and grandsons now manage.  The family farmed at a place called Neddiaugh but I am unsure if this was in Monaghan or Cavan.  I know that my great-grandfather Francis KELLS had uncles (possibly brothers) who emigrated during the famine.  Some of them went to the US and some went to New Zealand.  I am just trying to find out as much information regarding the KELLS family in general as from what I can gather it is an unusual name for that area.  Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.
Michelle

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 21 November 13 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Annie, what Armstrong names do you have in the Parish? Have you ever come across a John Armstrong married to a Hannah Matthews, possibly around 1830/40's (they had at least one daughter, Elizabeth Jane born c1843)?
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .