Author Topic: Help please re. Broad St and Baker St - Stirling  (Read 29287 times)

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
Re: Help please re. Broad St and Baker St - Stirling
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 08 June 11 11:25 BST (UK) »
Stirling 76 thanks for that photo of Baker St.My great great grandfather was a shoemaker at number 32 in 1881.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline stirling76

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 10 June 11 08:53 BST (UK) »
Stirling 76 thanks for that photo of Baker St.My great great grandfather was a shoemaker at number 32 in 1881.

Seoras, this is a list of Boot, shoemakers in Stirling in 1881, is your g.g. grandfather there?

Boot and Shoemakers.
Bauchop, David, 9 Upper Craigs
Baiichop. Edward, 35 Murray place
Boswell,'W., 18 Baker street
Gumming, Wright, 16 Bow street
Dalgetty, Henry, 97 Baker street
Ferguson, Hugh, 79 King street
Gillespie, Wm., 77 Port street
Gilmour, David, 56 Baker street
Glover, Wm. , 12 Baker street
Gray, T. A., 8 Baker street
Low, Thomas, 4 Baker street
Maciivean, John, 4 Barnton place
Macintosh, John, 27 Murray pi. ; house
15 Douglas street
Mains, Thomas, 3 Bow street
Marshall, David Campbell, 30 Port st. M'Donna, Peter W., 51 Baker street
Page, .John, 7 Church wynd
Pate Brothers, 35 Baker street
Smith, Gabriel, King street
Stewart, John, 3 Friars street ; house 75
King street
Stoddart, J. M., 60 Port street
Vance, John, 1 Port street
Watson, Wm., 17 Upper Craigs ; house
3 George street

Stirling76
Stirling in Scotland, Baker Street in Stirling.
Donaldson from Thornhill
Stewart from Whins of Milton
McAra from Whins of Milton

Offline stirling76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 10 June 11 09:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Stirling76

Re. Baker Street - I have just discovered that we had a John Livingstone who was a Chemist/Druggist and had his shop at number 58 Baker Street for about 30 years until he died in 1912. I don't think he ever married. Familiar to anyone?

PWN, re John Livingstone, his shop was at 58 Baker Street, but he lived at 44 Broad Street, not sure if you knew this.

Stirling 76
Donaldson from Thornhill

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 10 June 11 09:18 BST (UK) »
That clears something up Stirling 76.He (James Stein) isn't on there but I can see where he was working.At number 35 are his brothers-in-law the Pate's.They and his wife were the children of John Pate also a shoemaker in Linlithgow.All of them originally came from Linlithgow.James' son John was also a shoemaker in Glasgow.

ps.thanks for that list,another piece in the jigsaw.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.

Offline stirling76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 10 June 11 09:18 BST (UK) »
Hi I have a relative who apparently died in the Miner's Welfare Institute in Baker St. Does anyone know where that was?

Hi kirstymac,
I'll look through my files, but it's a new one on me, Miner's Welfare in Baker Street, you got a name for the relative?

Stirling 76
Donaldson from Thornhill

Offline stirling76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 10 June 11 09:42 BST (UK) »
That clears something up Stirling 76.He (James Stein) isn't on there but I can see where he was working.At number 35 are his brothers-in-law the Pate's.They and his wife were the children of John Pate also a shoemaker in Linlithgow.All of them originally came from Linlithgow.James' son John was also a shoemaker in Glasgow.

Ah! got him, he is listed in the 1881 directory at 32 Baker Street and the Pate's shop was at 35 Baker Street, almost directly across the road. My gut feeling tells me that number 32 was a lodging house, certainly a large tenement and part of what today is Dalgleish Court, however there were a lot of businesses listed at No.32, it may be that he had a workshop there, but if his Brother-in-laws has a shop called Pate Brothers, he most likely lived at 32 and worked at 35.

regards,
Stirling 76
Donaldson from Thornhill

Offline maidmarianoops

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • somewhere over the rainbow
    • View Profile
notts/derbys clark
      "        "      stenson
        "       "    nicholson
       "     "        jarvis
                         castledine
    rhodes

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 10 June 11 12:38 BST (UK) »
I think you are probably right Stirling 76 in that they lived at 32 and worked over the road.James and his wife still had the three youngest living with them,John 21,Elizabeth(my great gran)15 and James 10.John is already a shoemaker so possibly also working for his uncles.That is a great detailed description of the buldings a few posts back.

Offline kirstymac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 11 June 11 17:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Stirling 76. My relative was Patrick D'Arcy and he died in 1934. However when I look again it lists place of death as Miners Institute Welfare Burghmuir Stirling - would that be Baker St? I may have got mixed up as he lived at 44 Baker St.

Another relative was Hugh Thomson who live at 14 Baker St and died in 1948. I can remember visiting him.