Author Topic: Help please re. Broad St and Baker St - Stirling  (Read 29290 times)

Offline stirling76

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help please re. Broad St and Baker St - Stirling
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 12 June 11 08:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Stirling 76. My relative was Patrick D'Arcy and he died in 1934. However when I look again it lists place of death as Miners Institute Welfare Burghmuir Stirling - would that be Baker St? I may have got mixed up as he lived at 44 Baker St.

Another relative was Hugh Thomson who live at 14 Baker St and died in 1948. I can remember visiting him.

Hi Kirstymac,
thanks for that, the miners Institute at Burghmuir I can remember it well, in fact when I worked in the pits I was a member. Different area from Baker Street, it was at the bottom of the Craigs and was knocked down just a few years ago, built in 1929. When I was at Riverside school, I used to sneak off and practise snooker.
See my earlier post about 44 Baker Street and its whereabouts and 14 Baker Street is still there, you would have went up a close to get to Hugh Thomson's tenement, just down from the old Derby bar.
regards,
Stirling 76
Stirling in Scotland, Baker Street in Stirling.
Donaldson from Thornhill
Stewart from Whins of Milton
McAra from Whins of Milton

Offline kirstymac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 12 June 11 15:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Stirling 76
Thanks for the reply. You have some great material there.
Kirstymac

Offline Fergie38

• RootsChat Veteran
  • There's only one eF in Ferguson
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 12 June 11 19:47 BST (UK) »
There's bound to be plenty of photographs of the Miners Welfare but here is one that I took just two days before it was demolished.
In this photo it's only the front section that is still standing.
I should have another two or three somewhere but with my amazing filing system, I can never seem to find things without an extensive search..

I remember going to the Little Theatre there on Sunday evenings for the weekly variety shows.
We used it about thirty years ago for for winter indoor archery sessions.

Cheers.
Ferguson (Stirling & Parish of Kincardine) Stevenson (Bannockburn) Cowan (Stirling) McLean (Glasgow,  Dundee & Skye)

Offline kirstymac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 17:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Fergie 38. I should have remembered it as two of my cousins were married there. Getting mixed up with Baker St threw me.
Kirstymac

Offline Conan325

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 09:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi all
I have just come across this forum.  I am trying to trace back my father's family and so far I have found my great grandfather lived in Baker Street and Broad Street.   His marriage record in 1884 gives his address as Broad Street. The 1891 Census shows him living at 5 Baker Street with his wife and children.  The 1901 and 1911 census have him living at 52 Broad Street.   He was a tailor and as there were a number of other tailors shown at Broad Street, I was wondering if perhaps his employer actually owned the building and his employees rented the accomodation.

Offline stirling76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 13:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi all
I have just come across this forum.  I am trying to trace back my father's family and so far I have found my great grandfather lived in Baker Street and Broad Street.   His marriage record in 1884 gives his address as Broad Street. The 1891 Census shows him living at 5 Baker Street with his wife and children.  The 1901 and 1911 census have him living at 52 Broad Street.   He was a tailor and as there were a number of other tailors shown at Broad Street, I was wondering if perhaps his employer actually owned the building and his employees rented the accomodation.

Hi Conan325,
in the 1903 and 1909 Stirling Directories, there is a Bartholomew Kidd, Tailor living at 52 Broad Street, I assume this is your relative.
No 52 was a tenement block and most likely owned by a large landowner like the Cowane Trust, something along those lines.
There are no tailor businesses registered in Broad Street at this time, so he would have worked for someone else, maybe even from home, as there was no business registered under the name Kidd.
In the 1882 directory, there is no Kidd registered as a tailor in Stirling.

Sorry thats all I have.
Stewart
Stirling in Scotland, Baker Street in Stirling.
Donaldson from Thornhill
Stewart from Whins of Milton
McAra from Whins of Milton

Offline Conan325

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Thanks Stewart

yes Bartholomew Kidd was my great grandfather.   I know he was born in America in 1864/65.  I have been unable to find any trace until his marriage record in1884.  He was shown as a Tailor (Journeyman) which I understand is an apprentice.  I therefore assume he worked for someone else.
I also know his mother remarried someone with the surname Meikle, although I have been unable to find out if that wasin america, or back in Scotland

Offline Fergie38

• RootsChat Veteran
  • There's only one eF in Ferguson
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 17:17 GMT (UK) »
The 1932 Stirling Street Directory shows a William Kidd living at 52 Broad Street.
There is also an Albert Victor Kidd living at number 48 Broad Street

Cheers
Ferguson (Stirling & Parish of Kincardine) Stevenson (Bannockburn) Cowan (Stirling) McLean (Glasgow,  Dundee & Skye)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 18:04 GMT (UK) »
He was shown as a Tailor (Journeyman) which I understand is an apprentice.

No, that's not right. A journeyman is quite specifically not an apprentice any longer. He is a man who has completed his apprenticeship and is a qualified tradesman, working for pay for someone else. It doesn't necessarily mean that he was travelling about to earn a living; it is from the French 'journée' meaning 'the duration of a day' because originally he would have been paid by the day.

Once he has worked as a journeyman for a time, and gained experience, he may then set up on his own as a master, employing journeymen and/or training his own apprentices.

(Digression - the word 'journey' in the sense of travel is from the same French word, and originally meant the distance you could travel in a day. It has since changed its meaning to mean any duration of travel.)

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.