Author Topic: Help please re. Broad St and Baker St - Stirling  (Read 16798 times)

Offline Fergie38

• RootsChat Senior
  • There's only one eF in Ferguson
    • View Profile
Re: Help please re. Broad St and Baker St - Stirling
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Again in the 1932 Stirling index I have noted a Bartholomew Kidd, railwayman, at 54 Lower Bridge Street and a James Kidd, Grocer at 10 Bayne Street.
Cheers.
Ferguson (Stirling & Parish of Kincardine) Stevenson (Bannockburn) Cowan (Stirling) McLean (Glasgow,  Dundee & Skye)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Conan325

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Fergie38
James Kidd was my grandfather and that address is where my father was born.
I believe the Bartholomew you mention was the youngest of my father's uncles

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline SandyMcJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 01 April 12 19:43 BST (UK) »
I think the houses in Broad St may have been renumbered at some time, possibly when the top of the town was being redeveloped. My great grandparents and subsequently Grandparents lived at 40 Broad St for many years, certainly from 1900's through to 1940's, but when my grandad died in 1955 his address was given as 23 Broad St. Tried to find no 40 a few years ago and seem to remember numbers don't go that high, but remember my dad pointing building  out to me when I was a boy and think these might have numbers in 20's now.
 By the way, useful Stirling directories from turn of 20th century are available from internet archive, eg for 1903 http://archive.org/details/cookwyliesstirli1903prin

Offline UNDERTAKER

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 02 April 12 13:06 BST (UK) »
Do you know if the Gillespie in that List was William as if so would be very interested in the date of the document as trying to find a William Gillespie who was a relative of a relative of mine Robert Gillespie.
P.S. my mum grew up on Broad Street so may know a bit more.

T.

Offline stewart66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 08 January 17 01:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

My mother's granny lived in broad street and I can remember her talking about a parrot in a pet shop below.  Does anyone know the name or the owners of the pet shop?

Linda

Offline SandyMcJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 15 January 17 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Only pet shop I remember in Stirling (1950's , 60's) was Archie's in Baker St.