Author Topic: Help please re. Broad St and Baker St - Stirling  (Read 29324 times)

Offline PWN

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help please re. Broad St and Baker St - Stirling
« on: Tuesday 16 November 10 14:14 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone advise me regarding these old streets in Stirling. I have my maternal great grandparents at various addresses over 30 year period. Last Saturday I went to Stirling to try and find the following addresses.

44 Baker Street - Obviously demolished and new flats built

24 Broad Street - still there

30, 44 and 48 Broad Street - No sign of them and I cannot see where they might have been.

Does anyone know where these numbers were in Broad Street?

Regards
PWN
Baxter - Bannockburn & Grangemouth
Gilchrist - Tillicoultry & Stirling. Denovan - St Ninians and Bannockburn
Neill & Blair - Stirling
Macfarlane - Renton & Bogle - Lanark
Watson - Stevenston, Ayrshire

Offline stirling76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Help please re. Broad St and Baker St - Stirling
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 November 10 12:52 GMT (UK) »
I was born and brought up in Baker Street and can remember No 44 very well, in fact I remember the night it was on fire. It was demolished not long after that.
This was in the mid- fifties if my memory is correct, the fire started on the top landing in a coal bunker, when the ashes from a house fire were placed there.
The Mills family lived there, as did the Feeley's, Johnnie Hills pawn shop was at the back of the close, and I think I'm right by saying auld Annie Cowane lived there as well. I'm not sure of the other families.
I'll look amongst my collection and see if I have a pic of the old tenement, but im not sure.
44 does have one claim to fame though, William Harvey who would later become a writer and newspaper editor of Leng Thomson (people's friend ) was born there.
As for Broad Street, I'm sure someone here will be able to help, not me unfortunately, I am a 'Bakie' not a 'Broadie.'
I lived at No.23 in the household buildings.
Stirling in Scotland, Baker Street in Stirling.
Donaldson from Thornhill
Stewart from Whins of Milton
McAra from Whins of Milton

Offline PWN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 November 10 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much, Stirling76. Your description of 44 Baker Street and what happened to it are most interesting. My grandmother Robina Gilchrist was born there in 1891..before your time.  A photo would be brilliant.

I am researching James Gilchrist and family (24 and 48 Broad St), Daniel Blair and family and his brother-in-law John Livingstone (24, 30 and 44 Broad St)  between 1880's and 1915 approx.  John Livingstone was a chemist/druggist at 58 Baker Street for about 30 years until his death in 1912.

I am guessing that 30, 44 and 48 Broad Street must have been somewhere behind 24/26 Broad Street but it would be wonderful if someone could confirm this.

Thanks again for your info. Kind regards, PWN
Neill & Blair - Stirling

Offline Fergie38

• RootsChat Veteran
  • There's only one eF in Ferguson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 November 10 19:35 GMT (UK) »
I think I'm right by saying auld Annie Cowane lived there as well. .

That was a nice wee snippet of info 'stirling76'

Wee Annie was my mothers auntie.
I would be most interested in any photos of the area that you would care to share.

Cheers.
Ferguson (Stirling & Parish of Kincardine) Stevenson (Bannockburn) Cowan (Stirling) McLean (Glasgow,  Dundee & Skye)

Offline PWN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 November 10 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fergie38

What a great photo..full of character!

Regards
PWN
Neill & Blair - Stirling

Offline Fergie38

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 17 November 10 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi PWN

Wee Annie was apparently quite a character.
Regretfully I never met her.

Cheers.
Ferguson (Stirling & Parish of Kincardine) Stevenson (Bannockburn) Cowan (Stirling) McLean (Glasgow,  Dundee & Skye)

Offline stirling76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 November 10 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Fergie,

that's a wonderful photo, just as I remember her, never without a heidscarf and a pinny, I knew her and her son very well, I'm sure after the fire they moved to Dalgleish court just round the corner.
I can't wait to forward the pic to my sisters.

Now Annie's son Jimmy, although everyone knew him as Chang Cowan, he was some character! and that's an understatement! Chang was some man.
I remember being a young child and my mother took my sisters and me to the regal to see Annie Get Your Gun, when we got home, the door was locked and father in a drunken sleep and no amount of knocking would waken him. Mum said to me, go across to Mrs Cowan's and tell Jimmy we were locked out!
Off I went across the road and told Chang what had happened and he came back with me. Out of his pocket came some tool, I think it was a long chisel, 10 seconds later the door jamb was prised out and the yale latch pushed in and the door opened and we got in. I think you can tell from that what profession Chang was known for, he was our local burglar! But what a nice man, years later whenever I met him he would always have time for me and have a chat, he was a pal of my brother.
I met him many years later in the 70's and he told me a great story,
do you remember when Johnny Ramensky fell of the roof when trying to break into the strongrooms in Stirling. Well, he wasn't alone, Chang was keeping the look out down below when Johnny fell, Chang checked he was breathing and scarpered, what the books don't tell you was that someone phoned the polis to tell them a man was hurt.
Seemingly Chang knew Johnny from old, probably met him in Jail somewhere, and told him about this safe waiting to be opened!
Poor Chang he had a hard time with his own family years later, it really broke his heart, but that's another story.
Stewart
Donaldson from Thornhill

Offline Fergie38

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 November 10 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Stirling76.

Brilliant.
I've copied your posting as is and pasted onto Wee Annies info page in 'Family Tree Maker'.

Thanks a lot.

Fergie.

Offline stirling76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 November 10 10:13 GMT (UK) »
I've looked through all my collection of pics of Baker Street and I can't believe I don't have a good pic of number 44. So that's set me a task to find one, looking down Bank Street to Morris Terrace would show it, so I'll see what turns up.
Meanwhile this is a pic taken just about 44, you can just see it at the right hand side in the forefront of the pic.
Those who know Baker street will remember Nimmo's shop shown here, on the corner of Bank Street, but if you look you will see there is no Morris Terrace on the right, there is no break in the road.
Donaldson from Thornhill