Author Topic: Help please re. Broad St and Baker St - Stirling  (Read 29321 times)

Offline Fergie38

• RootsChat Veteran
  • There's only one eF in Ferguson
    • View Profile
Re: Help please re. Broad St and Baker St - Stirling
« Reply #9 on: Friday 26 November 10 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Nimmo’s shop. The only place that sold ‘Piece Tins’.
A metal two piece box of the correct size and shape to take four slices of Scottish plain bread.
I remember buying one there when aged sixteen and first went ‘underground’ at Millhall.

Fergie.
Ferguson (Stirling & Parish of Kincardine) Stevenson (Bannockburn) Cowan (Stirling) McLean (Glasgow,  Dundee & Skye)

Offline Billy Anderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 26 November 10 11:29 GMT (UK) »
I think I'm right by saying auld Annie Cowane lived there as well. .

That was a nice wee snippet of info 'stirling76'

Wee Annie was my mothers auntie.
I would be most interested in any photos of the area that you would care to share.

Cheers.

She might be wee Annie but i don,t think i would have gone home with a pound missing from the wage packet!
Billy.
Anderson=Glasgow, Denny,Bathgate,Kilsyth.
=USA  Alameda,New York,Boston,Illinois.
Binning= Bathgate
Miller=Kilsyth
Black, McIntyre=Ise of Lismore
Donald=Enzie
MacDonald=Denny.
Lymburner=Denny
Wright=West Lothian
Greenhorn= Blantyre,LKS.

Offline PWN

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 26 November 10 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Many many thanks!  I am absolutely thrilled to see this photo (and any others you can find)

Wonder what year this was taken?

I very much appreciate your help.

Kind regards
PWN
Baxter - Bannockburn & Grangemouth
Gilchrist - Tillicoultry & Stirling. Denovan - St Ninians and Bannockburn
Neill & Blair - Stirling
Macfarlane - Renton & Bogle - Lanark
Watson - Stevenston, Ayrshire

Offline stirling76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 26 November 10 12:41 GMT (UK) »
when aged sixteen and first went ‘underground’ at Millhall.

Fergie.

I went to the 'Manor'
Stirling in Scotland, Baker Street in Stirling.
Donaldson from Thornhill
Stewart from Whins of Milton
McAra from Whins of Milton

Offline stirling76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 26 November 10 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone advise me regarding these old streets in Stirling. I have my maternal great grandparents at various addresses over 30 year period. Last Saturday I went to Stirling to try and find the following addresses.

44 Baker Street - Obviously demolished and new flats built

24 Broad Street - still there

30, 44 and 48 Broad Street - No sign of them and I cannot see where they might have been.

Does anyone know where these numbers were in Broad Street?

Regards
PWN

PWN, I've had a wee bit of time on my hand and have got this, its from 1926 and was the new (present development of Broad Street) the old side was demolished before then, I have some pics from 1900 showing the buildings.
Anyway, I put it some numbers of the buildings, so I think you should be able to tell what building were the numbers your looking for.
Remember, these tenements were accessed from closes (vennals) and they can be seen easily in this map, thats where you might be getting mixed up with the numbers.
Donaldson from Thornhill

Offline PWN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 26 November 10 13:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stirling76

Brilliant info..at last I am beginning to get my bearings! I just wish it was all still there to see it as it was. I suppose it would be renovated and conserved nowadays and not just demolished.

I am still trying to 'walk' in my Granny's footsteps but you have given me the lead with a few 'footsteps'!

The family name is Gilchrist and her father James was a plasterer. He did a fair bit of work on the intricate ceiling cornicing in some of the 'big posh hoosies' as my Granny described them to me in King's Park area.

Any other photos would be much appreciated but I do thank you for the time you have taken so far to give me this info.

Kind regards
PWN
Neill & Blair - Stirling

Offline stirling76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 26 November 10 13:34 GMT (UK) »
PWN - This should sort you out, use it with the map above.

52 Broad Street
Large four-storeyed house with harled walls and crow-stepped gables. The low-arched pend retains its original cobbles and water-runnel and there is a good turnpike tower in the back wall. Adjoining the house to the west, at No. 54, are two attractive gate pillars.

48 Broad Street
Plain three-storeyed harled house. A long wing runs up the close behind, at the end of which is an interesting octagonal gazebo or garden house. No. 46 has been rebuilt (in a pleasant classical style) but retains an interesting seventeenth-century building on the back-land which may be seen from the court at No. 44.

36-38 Broad Street
Handsome four-storeyed house with twin crowstepped gables towards the street. The ground floor is vaulted and the pend leads to an interesting close behind containing a square staircase tower. The house formed the town ludging of the family of Graham of Panholes, by whom it was probably erected in the early seventeenth century. The adjoining house to the west, although quite plain, forms a sympathetic neighbour to this frontage, which remains one of the most attractive architectural features of Old Stirling.

30-32 Broad Street
Extremely interesting house with symmetrical renaissance frontage of squared ashlar. The building is of four main storeys surmounted by a high crowstepped gable. The ground floor, now used as a shop, has a deep cornice supported by elaborately carved pilasters. On each of the three upper floors are three evenly spaced windows, the side ones being blind. The windows have pediments inscribed as follows:

on the third floor, I R . 1671 . A L

on the second floor, I N . SOLI DEO GLORIA ("Glory to God Alone") . A R

on the first floor, ARBOR VITAE SAPIENTIA ("Wisdom is the tree of life") . MURUS AHENEUS : BONA CONSCIENTIA ("A good conscience is a brazen wall")

The initials on the second floor refer to James Norie, Town Clerk of Stirling, and Agnes Robertson, his wife.

The ground floor of the house is vaulted, and the rooms on the upper floors are panelled. In the close behind entered from No. 30, is a long wing with a turnpike stair and dormer windows.

24-26 Broad Street.
Four-storeyed house refronted towards the street. The line of the original frontage is marked by the arch inside the pend at No. 24. The crowstepped stair tower at the back is one of the finest of its period, and there is also a long wing with crowstepped gable and three round-headed dormer windows. The property belonged to Robert Stevenson Provost of Stirling in 1656, and is thought to have been built by him about the year 1630.

Donaldson from Thornhill

Offline PWN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 27 November 10 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stirling76

Re. Broad Street - I have got a much better understanding now between the Street Plan and the individual 'close' descriptions. Great detail. Thank you for clarifying this for me.

Re. Baker Street - I have just discovered that we had a John Livingstone who was a Chemist/Druggist and had his shop at number 58 Baker Street for about 30 years until he died in 1912. I don't think he ever married. Familiar to anyone?

Again, many thanks.

Kind regards
PWN

Neill & Blair - Stirling

Offline kirstymac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 29 May 11 17:30 BST (UK) »
Hi I have a relative who apparently died in the Miner's Welfare Institute in Baker St. Does anyone know where that was?