Author Topic: London Inn, 34 Fore Street, Redruth  (Read 10016 times)

Offline cowboysmate

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
London Inn, 34 Fore Street, Redruth
« on: Tuesday 16 November 10 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi

does anyone have any information about the London Inn - my grandparents ran it after WW1.
I have a family photograph showing them sitting out front, in between the stone pillars.
I would very much like to know if I can get a record of their time there, or licence info etc.

Can anyone help?
many thanks.....
Pearce, Davies, Mulhall, Jesse, Savage.

Online osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: London Inn, 34 Fore Street, Redruth
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 November 10 10:30 GMT (UK) »
have you tried the Cornish Studies Library in Redruth?

http://www.cornwall.gov.uk/default.aspx?page=3743
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline cowboysmate

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 November 10 13:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi, and thank you for your response.

No, haven't tried this organisation as I was unaware of it.  I'll browse and contact them, it looks very interesting.

Regards, and thanks again.

Offline Jeuel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 November 10 21:15 GMT (UK) »
I think licence applications are held at the relevant county archives, but not sure how much useful information they contain.
Chowns in Buckinghamshire
Broad, Eplett & Pope in St Ervan/St Columb Major, Cornwall
Browning & Moore in Cambridge, St Andrew the Less
Emms, Mealing & Purvey in Cotswolds, Gloucestershire
Barnes, Dunt, Gray, Massingham in Norfolk
Higho in London
Matthews & Nash in Whichford, Warwickshire
Smoothy, Willsher in Coggeshall & Chelmsford, Essex

Offline cowboysmate

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 November 10 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your suggestion, as I live in Warwickshire it will have to wait though for our next visit to Cornwall.

Regards..........

Offline John S.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 June 14 00:35 BST (UK) »
I don't know if you are still monitoring this after so many years, but it just came up in a Google search.  My Second great-grandparents John and Martha (Tregonning) Trestrail owned the London Inn from sometime before 1871 to sometime after 1891 (John died there in 1887).  It was a coaching inn dating back to the 1700s, and John apparently got the money to buy it by silver mining in Australia.  The inn was shut down around 2001 (perhaps due to drug dealing) and remains boarded up on Fore Street.  It is too bad because it is in a prime location in central Redruth, a town which seems to be on the mend, but perhaps it would cost too much to renovate it to modern standards.

A history of Redruth indicates that in 1776 the London Inn was one of the "principal hosteleries" of the town, with stabling for 60 horses and carriages.  It had had been purchased by Thomas and Peggy Curgenven Clark, who stayed until 1779.  An entry for 1854 states that the inn (the "London Hotel") was owned by James Snow, "afterward John Trestrail."  This was probably a few years afterward, since John was in Australia in 1861.

Martha was running the place up to 1891, but was not there in 1901 and it does not appear that any of the children took the place over, so my guess is that it was sold sometime between 1891 and 1901.  I am afraid I do not have any information as to ownership after that.

Offline strayer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 June 14 22:08 BST (UK) »
There were two John Trestrails at the London. The first John Trestrail was a builder & married Nanny Teague in 1843 (a publican who was living in Fore Street in 1841). John & Nanny were in the London in 1851 and he was described as "Innkeeper, Carpenter & Joiner (Master)- employing 2 men & 3 apprentices." By 1861 they were living in Agar Crescent & he is a retired builder. In 1871 John is now a brewery agent & still at Agar Crescent. When Nanny dies her probate shows that John is now the manager of the Redruth Brewery.

The second John Trestrail was in Australia for the 1861 but John & Martha was at the Beer House in Clinton Terrace by 1871. They moved to the London by 1881 & Martha ran it after John's death in 1887 until at least 1891. After which Martha moved to West End where she lived until her death on 27 April 1911.

The occupations of the London in 1901 was Charles & Julia Thomas (of Redruth) & by 1911 this had changed to John & Ellen Jane Daddow (of Illogan).

With another  Public House next door & a second within a minutes walk & two further within five minutes walk I can not see it re opening as a Public House- unless a national chain takes it on.
It is a shame because it is a lovely building & should not be spoilt by re developers.

Trestrail

Offline John S.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 June 14 05:04 BST (UK) »
Yes, I should have said that John & Martha were at the London sometime AFTER 1871, since the records do show them at Beerhouse in 1871.  I was not aware of the previous John; I imagine he is the person who obtained the place from James Snow.  Do you know if there is any family connection between the two Johns? 

Thank you so much for the additional information.

Offline strayer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 10 June 14 19:07 BST (UK) »
Yes- they are related- but not that close. The first John was bapt  17 Nov 1807 at St Uny, Redruth. His parents were Warren Trestrail & Joan (Bawden). Warren was bapt 19 Nov 1768 son of Warren Trestrail & Honour (Johns). Warren(senior) was possibly the son of John Trestrail & Hester (Blyth) from Kenwyn Parish.

The second John was bapt 4 Aug 1829 also St Uny. His parents were John & Mary Ann (Roberts). John was bapt 1 April 1798 son of  John Trestrail & Martha (Luke). John was bapt 24 April 1773 son of Warren & Honour  (Johns).
Trestrail