Author Topic: Thomas, Carmarthen, Williams, Pembrokeshire, Churchill, Sully, Somerset  (Read 2277 times)

Offline farmyard

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas, Carmarthen, Williams, Pembrokeshire, Churchill, Sully, Somerset
« on: Tuesday 16 November 10 22:46 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for info on a THOMAS family - Samuel Thomas, tailor, b Llangynor ? father John victualler b abt 1780 -mother possibly Sarah.

Samuel's son Edwin b 1848, Mary Ann 1841 and Henry 1846 were born in Swansea, but the family later moved back to Carmarthen where Thomas was born 1850 St David's.
Samuel married Martha Williams b 1816 Haverfordwest but her parents Thomas Williams and Mary? were living in Carmarthen 1841. 

Thomas married an Eliza and lived in Merthyr Tydfil where Widow Martha moved to.
Edwin a tailor, married Eliza Sully (from Somerset) and her grandfather David Churchill tailor and inn keeper from Somerton went to live in Tredegor where he died in 1876.

Edwin lived in Tredegar, Mountain Ash, Glamorgan before moving to Liverpool in 1878. He had 10 children.

I would be grateful to hear from anyone who thinks these names could be of  their family.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas, Carmarthen, Williams, Pembrokeshire, Churchill, Sully, Somerset
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 November 10 00:32 GMT (UK) »
Samuel & Martha married in Carmarthen in 1838 as per freebmd.  The 1841 census shows them both aged 25 and living in Swansea with 6mth old daughter Mary Ann (shown as 6yrs old)

Both  Samuel & Martha are shown as not born in county

HO107 Piece 1426/6  Folio 22 Page 35

1851 shows Martha as married - occupation wife/housekeeper and birthplace is Haverfordwest Pembrokeshire but no Samuel in household
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline farmyard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 November 10 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Carole. 

I do have a copy of Sam. and Martha's wedding lines, they were married in Lammas St, Carmarthen,  but I am looking to go back to their parents or forward to their children, apart from Edwin.
On their marriage cert. there are witnesses, George and William Spurrell, another name to play with.

I have Sam as a visitor with David Ellis in Merthyr Tydfil on the 1851 census.

Martha's father gives his place of birth as Nerem, Pembrokeshire, but I have been unable to locate this place.  (Elizabeth his wife is born St Peters, Carmarthen.)  Any help in that direction would be welcome.

Averil

Offline blodynglas

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 November 10 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Carole. 

I do have a copy of Sam. and Martha's wedding lines, they were married in Lammas St, Carmarthen,  but I am looking to go back to their parents or forward to their children, apart from Edwin.
On their marriage cert. there are witnesses, George and William Spurrell, another name to play with.

I have Sam as a visitor with David Ellis in Merthyr Tydfil on the 1851 census.

Martha's father gives his place of birth as Nerem, Pembrokeshire, but I have been unable to locate this place.  (Elizabeth his wife is born St Peters, Carmarthen.)  Any help in that direction would be welcome.

Averil

Nerem is probably Nevern, Pembrokeshire

Offline farmyard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 November 10 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Blodynglas, I did wonder if the translation was wrong and it was Nevern. Under the microscope certainly looks like it. Cheers Averil.