Author Topic: Frederick John DAVIS  (Read 2189 times)

Offline Jan19230

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Frederick John DAVIS
« on: Wednesday 17 November 10 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Looking for any information on Frederick John DAVIS.

Born about 1896 (don't know where) - he worked on the flying boats for Imperial Airways.

He married Rosina May Stocker (my great aunt) in 1932 at St Alphage Church, Hendon, and his occupation was listed as Aeronautical Engineer.  Father's name was Thomas Smith DAVIS (deceased) at time of marriage, a Tailor.

On Ancestry, I have found him and Rosina returning from a trip to Egypt on 25 December 1934 aboard the "Barabool" from Brisbane, Australia.  On the ship's manifest his occupation is "Ground Engineer" and the address to which they are returning is "c/o Imperial Airways".

He and Rosina were great supporters of the RNLI and  Rosina was the secretary or treasurer for the Mill Hill Branch.  They used to live at Copthall Drive, Mill Hill.

I am struggling to get anywhere with Fred.  As I don't know where he was born, it has become an instant brick wall.  I can't find anyone that may be him on either the 1911 or 1901.

I have written to the RAF Museum at Hendon today in the hope they may be able to help.

If anyone can help me with this search, I would be grateful. 

Look forward to hearing from you.

Many thanks.

Jan
JOHNSTON, STOCKER - Middlesex
DORMODY (and variants)
HERRING - Oxford, Bucks, Warwickshire, Essex
WHITBREAD - Essex, Beds
BOGG - Scotland, Essex

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick John DAVIS
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 November 10 16:38 GMT (UK) »
hello jan
i,ve found a  thomas smith davis in the 1911 cen now two things don,t add up to your post 1 this tsd is a stone sett maker so nothing like a tailor !! and there is no frederick john as a son , surely with a name such as his there can,t be more than one , although i know there can be i just don,t believe it , are you taking fredericks birthdate from his marriage lines or have you got more definate proof of his birth ?
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 November 10 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Interesting possible:
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/ shows a Frederick John Davis who was a merchant seaman in WWI, b. 1896 Birkenhead
freebmd.rootsweb.com shows a Thomas Smith Davis m. 1891 in Birkenhead (familysearch pilot shows he married a Harriet Pierce).

In 1901 there is a Harriet Davis, b. circa 1864, living I believe with her brother and sister in law, Frederick W and Elizabeth, their children, and hers: Thos Edward, Frederic J (b. 1896), and Elizabeth M.

At www.1911census.co.uk I think this family may be in Weymouth: Thomas, Harriet, and children Frederick, May (right age to be Elizabeth M on 1901) and Rose Ann b. 1906.  It seems like this Thomas is a tailor (you can test by searching for Thomas Davis, occupation tailor, in Weymouth).
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jan19230

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 November 10 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trevor - I'd looked at that one, but wasn't sure.  I  wrote you a nice long reply, but seem to have lost it somewhere in the ether.

However, JoRose, I think that is that family I am looking for.  I know that Fred had a sister Rose or Rosa who after Rosina's death, whisked Fred away somewhere down south and we never saw or heard from him again.

Also, with the Thomas being a Tailor Maker, I shall see what else I can find on this family and try and see where it leads me.

Thank you both for your help.  It is very much appreciated.  I must have had "computerb blindness" as I didn't spot that one at all.

Many thanks.

Jan
DORMODY (and variants)
WHITBREAD - Essex, Beds
BOGG - Scotland, Essex

Offline sairsair

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 October 15 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi,I realise this is an old thread. Fred was my Great Uncle. We always called him Uncle Fred. Rosa was my grandmother and I think she did care for him in cornwall after Rosina died. He was a bit of a 'character' rather an eccentric. I remember visiting them at Mill Hill and he was indeed a great supporter of the RNLI. In his old age he ran my grandma ragged by escaping her care and getting into allsorts of fixes. Falling into swimming pools and that sort of thing. I remember once reading Aunty Rosina's diary from the time of the Titanic, it was fascinating. I dont know what happened to that. anyway. Just thought I would say Hello. Sarah Humby

Offline Jan19230

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 October 15 09:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sarah, Lovely to hear from you.

I read your reply with great amusement as you have uncle Fred down to a T.  Always the mischief maker, always the eccentric and always such a lovely man of which I have very fond memories.  I can indeed imagine him running your grandma ragged as he was always full of beans and bus tickets (as he used to say).   He was very inventive to - used to drive auntie Rosie mad with all his gadgets and inventions, but she would never have been without him.

I would love to stay in touch and hear more of your memories of Fred.

Best wishes

Jan xxx
DORMODY (and variants)
WHITBREAD - Essex, Beds
BOGG - Scotland, Essex