Author Topic: Gunder Erickson marriage  (Read 19215 times)

Offline Big Ted

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gunder Erickson marriage
« on: Wednesday 17 November 10 23:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am tracing my wife Emma's Irish and Norwegian family tree.

Her ancestor was called Gunder Erickson who married a lady called Catherine from Cork, Ireland.

Catherine was born about 1810.

They had 5 children born in Cork and London and later moved to Liverpool. The family later adopted the surname Gunderson.

I would be very grateful for any help tracing a marriage of Gunder Erickson to a Catherine in Cork in the 1830s or any Gunderson/Erickson baptisms in Cork in the 1830s or 40s.

I have this record that shows he was a protestant and gives his address when he applied to become a British Subject

TO The Right Honourable Sir James Graham,
Her Majesty's Secretary of State,
Home Office,
London.

The Humble Memorial of Gunder Erickson, Mate of the Vessel Adelaide, now lying at Lapps Island Quay, in the City of Cork, in Ireland.

Herewith

That your Memorialist is now of the age of 46 years, or thereabouts, and is a member of the Established Church and a professing Protestant.

That your Memorialist as stated, is Mate of the Vessel Adelaide, (at present lying at Lapps Island Quay, in the City of Cork), from which Port she hails, whereof Captain Bailey is Master, and a regular trader between the Ports of Cork and London./

That Memorialist has been in service on board English Ships since the year 1820, when Memorialist first came to England, leaving Memorialist a resident of the United Kingdom for the last 25 years, and that your Memorialist is a native of Kragero in Norway.

That Memorialist is married to an Irish woman, by whom he has 5 children now living, professing the same Religion as Memorialist and at present residing at No 23 Evergreen Street in the said City of Cork.

That Memorialist intends to continue to reside within the Kingdom, and has no intention of departing from or quitting same.

That in pursuance of the Statute 7th and 8th Victoria Ch 66 entitled 'An Act to amend the law relating to Aliens' your Memorialist is not allowed to be shipped in a country, as one of the Crew, until he has obtained a Certificate of Naturalisation, that your Memorialist will in consequence be suspended from his said vessel until he obtained same, to the great distress of Memorialist, his wife and children.

That the names of the Vessels in which Memorialist has served are as follows; Agincourt of London, Isabella of London, Wally Master, Ocean of Arundel, Smith Master, Henrietta of Tynemouth, Redford Master, Inais of Brixham, Evans Master, Joshua Carroll London, Randell Master, Waterloo Packet of London, Wishart Master, City of Limerick of London, Cooper Master, Malcolm Browne of London, Atherton Master, Williams of London, Williams Master, Mary of Cork, Jenkins Master, Elle Packet of London, Croft Master, Adelaide of Cork, Bailey Master.

That Memorialist is a faithful and loyal subject of Her Majesty and bears true allegiance to her.

Memorialist humbly Prays you will consider his case, and grant unto him a Certificate of Naturalisation, enabling him to obtain the Rights and Capacities of a natural born British Subject.

And Memorialist will Pray GUNDER ERICKSON (signature)

No. 23 Evergreen Street, Cork, Ireland March 1845

Gunder Erickson the Memorialist in the foregoing Memorial named, maketh outh and saith that he has read the said Memorial, and that said Memorial and the several statements therein made are true and correct.

Taken and Sworn before Me in the City of Cork this eighth day of March one thousand eight hundred and forty five years.

GUNDER ERICKSON (signature) JAMES MURPHY (signature)

Patrick Barry, John Croft, James Malsen and George Lester

Householders residing in the City of Cork, came before Me this day and solomley declared that they know Gunder Erickson in the foregoing Memorial and Affidavit named and believe him to be a respectable and loyal man and also that the several particulars stated in his Memorial as grounds for obtaining his Certificate of Naturalisation, are true and correct.

Declared before Me in the City of Cork this tenth day of March 1845

PATRICK BARRY JOHN CROFT JAMES MALSEN GEORGE LESTER
(signature) (signature) (signature) (signature)

JOHN **********Registrar For Borough of Cork

Erickson (Gunder) No 94

Memorial for Naturalisation

Granted 15th March 1845

In Conformist with the Registry

Granted 1845

Offline GAJM1

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Gunder Erickson marriage
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 November 10 08:24 GMT (UK) »
I have looked in all the likely places and cant find anything

The only thing that could be linked is this

Thor Gundersen married Mary White 4 Apr 1865
Clonnel, Cork, Ireland
Groom's father name: Gunder
Bride's father name: Edward White

To get the original record here are the details you need for www.groireland.ie

Thor Gundersen and Mary White
Registration District: Cork
Year: 1865
Volume 10 Page 59

I usually order a photocopy which only cost 4euro once you include the volume and page number on application i usually include a fee for postage as well.

Gunderson/Gundersen are all very rare in Cork likewise with the first name Gunder and surname Erickson so perhaps the marriage above is worth a look.

Will keep looking see can i find anymore likely links.

Castlemcauliffe

Offline obbie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • miska moo samoyed and holly hunter cocker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 November 10 11:43 GMT (UK) »
1861 liverpool census
gunder 1805
catherine 1811 cork
nicholas 1838 cork
issac 1839 cork
frances 1841 london
 census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Hanrahan dublin - brock limerick dublin - farrington wicklow dublin - fagan dublin wicklow - mescall clare u.s.a - heron herring wales england

Offline obbie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 November 10 12:16 GMT (UK) »
1851 census gives extra child the oldest
Louisa Errickson 1828 london mother catherine born cork . census1851 liverpool

her baptism
louisa gunderson
 baptism 8 mar 1826
dad erric gunderson ma catherine
 shadwell st pauls tower hamlets
address 3 fox lane
dads occupation a mariner

as catherine birth date is given circa 1811 and oldest child born 1826 mother was 15ish .
as there first child born 1826 london do you not think its a strong possability they married london ?
also as gunder had changed his name to erric was this why he changed surname to errickson ?

Hanrahan dublin - brock limerick dublin - farrington wicklow dublin - fagan dublin wicklow - mescall clare u.s.a - heron herring wales england

Offline obbie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 November 10 12:28 GMT (UK) »
only one i can find bit dodgy though

William Gunderson 
Spouse's name  Catherine Johns
Marriage Date  27 Jun 1825
Liverpool, Lancashire .

husbands surname correct wifes first name correct date correct and as they lived in liverpool in later censuses thought id throw it in .

Offline Big Ted

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 November 10 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your replies.

When Gunder Erickson/Erick Gunderson's son Francis got married he gave the name of his father as Thomas Gunderson.

Years later, after reading an article on Norwegian naming patters I did a search for any Gunders on the English census and discovered his father was called was Gunder Erickson.

I had seen the marriage on the IGI of William Gunderson to Catherine but had dismissed it.

I will now take a closer look at this marriage as the name 'William' could have been an attempt to 'anglocise' his Norwegian name or the person writing the register trying to figure out what this Norwegian mariner was saying as his name.

I have yet to locate any children of William and Catherine so might be a lead worth following up.

Next I will try and locate my two Irish Great Grandmothers :)

Offline obbie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 November 10 14:28 GMT (UK) »
from using
http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
and census returns

louisa gunderson wed ?  jul-sept liverpool lancashire v20 p293 1851
francis gunderson wed ? elizabeth singleton w.derby 8b 513 march 1866
isaac gunderson wed ? elizabeth preston w.derby 8b 732 december 1868

louisa and isaac,c certs would be worth getting to see what they put there fathers name as .

Offline obbie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 November 10 16:23 GMT (UK) »
cant find her death .
this last census i can find her on .
1881 census Catherine Gunderson age 67 (1814) born cork a widow 65 Park Street Toxteth Park, Lancashire, England

Offline Big Ted

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 18 November 10 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Just found another baptism  - Nicholas son of Gunder and Catherine Arickson St George in the East 1828!