Author Topic: GOLDSMITH Family - Ipswich  (Read 10143 times)

Offline Kaspercat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: goldsmith family ipswich
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 13 August 11 15:40 BST (UK) »
Have you proof that Charles Philip Goldsmith married Mary Ann Lewis, daughter of George Lewis Bramford., as I am related to the Lewis Family. I know there was a marriage in 1895, but hav,nt seen the original certificate to name her father. If it was George Lewis I have some interesting info on him.

Offline sistauk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 14 August 11 19:54 BST (UK) »
 i do not have proof of marriage. but you have me intrigued by "interesting info" .My mother is the daughter of Happy Beaumont goldsmith . Her mother didnot give birth to her until her  forties and so my mother had old aunts and uncles. So not much info as my mother was the only child . her mother died in  in 1967 so not much to go on.

Offline Kaspercat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 15 August 11 10:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply,
George Lewis 1839-1925 was 86yrs. at burial, at St Mary,s Church, Bramford. 29th. Jun 1925. (There is a tombstone in the churchyard) He worked at Bramford Hall estate for 66yrs. He served in the Suffolk Reg. and landed at the Crimea in 1855. He had the honour to act as coach-man to Florence Nightingale in the Crimea.
He was odd-job man to Lady Loraine in his later years, but had been Gamekeeper to Col.Scott & Lord Kitchener.
Mary Ann his daughter, had a family name of "Pollie" and wrote an Obituary to her father George.
The archives of local newspapers may have articles re his funeral, a mourners list would be very useful.
As I do not live locally, unfortunately I dont have access to the local records.

Offline Marystree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: GOLDSMITH Family - Ipswich
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 29 August 15 16:29 BST (UK) »
As a new member I am pleased to find this. The Goldsmith family you speak of came from Oulton Broad and Toft Monks. Two brothers Charles and William moved to Ipswich in 1890's from Oulton Broad. Charlie was coal merchant and Carter and brother William a Docker and publican (I am descended from Williams line). They settled in Austin Street 'over stoke' as it's known locally. Happy Bemment or Beaumont Goldsmith is a family name with intersti g history.

Offline Curtis 23

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: GOLDSMITH Family - Ipswich
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 08 January 23 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi is there any more family left in Ipswich?