Author Topic: MARKEY family of Wagga Wagga and Hay, NSW  (Read 7255 times)

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MARKEY family of Wagga Wagga and Hay, NSW
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 27 November 10 00:58 GMT (UK) »
Here is a for sale notice for "The Boondandilla Station" in 1874.

Maybe this was the property that James Markey purchased.

It was a big property of 215,000 acres in the unsettled district of the Darling Downs.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/18333070?searchTerm=boondandilla&searchLimits=l-title=The+Queenslander+%28Brisbane%2C...%7Ctitleid%3A42

Gerry

Offline Leah84

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 23 December 10 20:58 GMT (UK) »
I have just stumbled upon this thread... very interesting... So I am the great great granddaught of James Markey, from Somerset County, UK. My side of the family stems from James' second marriage to Mary Thomas.

In 1875, son Arthur Edward was born to Mary Thomas. Not long after the birth James and his new family moved to Queensland and bought "The Retreat" at Boondandilla, Qld.

James' son, Arthur married Alice Pierce of "Lemon Tree" in 1904. When this property went up for sale Arthur bought the estate. They had 4 sons one of which is my direct grandfather. George Edward Markey.

Offline nudge67

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 31 December 10 01:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Leah

My wife is a great-granddaughter of James MARKEY, stemming from his third wife, Ida Charlotte CAUDWELL.

Any thoughts on the Joseph Cave/Arthur Edward riddle?

Cheers
Nudge
NSW Convict 1836: Peter WIFFIN (alias VIVIAN)
VDL Convict 1841: Richard REES
SA Pioneers (<1847): Hornsby, Wallis, Willoughby, Floate, Mills, Chesson, Degenhardt.
SA Old Colonists (<1857): Messenger, Tyler, McFeat, Ladner, Edwards, Cassidy, Rhodes, Shaw, Waye, Sibly.
SA Colonists (<1901): Jones, Pike, Bowyer, Davey.

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Warnock and Annie Balcombe
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 01 January 11 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi
TheTrove site is a problem, I found if you go to 'view the article as jpg' the link will then show as you scroll down the article, slow but it is there.

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article18333070

Above link is the last article cited.

Or you could highlight and delete all the stuff after the numbers.

mum mum
Balcombe, Sussex. Warnes, Norfolk and Australia. Hansen, Denmark and Canada. Williams, Canada. Warnock, Forsythe, Joyce, Sayers, in Ireland.

Offline EdWard48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 27 March 16 03:37 BST (UK) »
Rich information about Mr. James Markey c1840, Somerset to Queensland

Source article: The Queenslander (Brisbane, Qld. : 1866 - 1939) / Sat 3 Feb 1923 / Page 10 / Social Gossip

"The death of Mr. James Markey, a very old resident of Queensland, occurred at his home, Somerset, Herries Street, East Toowoomba, on Saturday, after a long illness.
The late Mr. James Markey, who was 83 years of age, was born in Somerset County, England, in 1840.
He arrived in Australia in 1853 after a voyage of four months on the ship Thomas Gresham, and took up his residence in Adelaide, but in 1857 he joined in the gold rush to Bendigo and Ballarat. He was not successful as a digger, so started at the trade of building, and worked in Bendigo for about two years. He then proceeded to the Sandhills, now known as Deniliquin, and from there moved to Wagga, where, in 1860, he erected the first court house and lock-up building in that town. About 1861 he acquired land, and followed farming with variable success.
In 1876 the late Mr. Markey came to Queensland, and purchased the station property known as The Retreat, at Boondandilla, Darling Downs. He carried on there for a number of years, and subsequently selected a portion of Yandilla which was known afterwards as Foxwood, Milmerran. He resided there until 1907, when he sold out and purchased a grazing property known as Kenmore, situated 40 miles south-west from Charleville. The latter property was later purchased by the State Government. Subsequently he purchased city property in Toowomba, and had resided in that city ever since."

Reference: http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/22639751

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 27 March 16 06:09 BST (UK) »
Hi  :)

Welcome to rootschat.

The obituary was mentioned in Reply#2 by judb.

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline EdWard48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 27 March 16 12:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks Cando.

The reference in Reply#2 by judb is noted.

I was researching an item relevant to Reply#3 by Aussie1947
Looks like the marriage of James's eldest son John Edward Markey in 1894 at Adelaide.
James at that time was living at "Foxwood" Domville in Queensland.

I recently visited the grave of Edward John MARKEY 1848 - 16 Mar 1886 (my great grandfather) at West Terrace Cemetery, Adelaide, South Australia.
I found interesting other text of the headstone:
Darling Dorothy
Died 27th Jany 1922,
Aged 21

Who was Dorothy?

MARKEY.—On the 27th January, at Arthur street, Unley, Dorothy, dearly loved daughter of Edward John and Lillie Markey, aged 21 years. In His keeping.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/63703430

Taking note of the Post Re: more MARKEY mayhem this time back to SA by Nudge67 and Reply#1 and Reply#2 by Alison2763, I found the link.
Edward John MARKEY m. Eliza Grace "Lillie" GREGORY at Goodwood Park, 24 Dec 1894
Children of Edw. John MARKEY and  Eliza Grace  GREGORY
1. Ivy Grace Elizabeth b 11.7.1897 Unley Book: 606 Page : 330
2. Edward Allan b 8.1.1903 Unley Book: 706 Page : 198

So Eliza Grace was "Lillie". But why were there only two children listed??

Then came another link:
MARKEY—GREGORY.—On the 24th December, 1894, at the residence of the bride's aunt, Mrs. E. P. Etheridge, Albert-street, Goodwood Park, by the Rev. R. Kelly, Edward John, eldest son of James Markey, Esq., of "Foxwood," Dowville, Queensland, to Eliza Grace (Lillie), third daughter of C. W. Gregory, of Adelaide.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/208832727
[Sat 5 Jan 1895 - The Express and Telegraph (Adelaide, SA : 1867 - 1922)]

So I checked the Microfiche of Queensland Births at Genealogy SA and found: 
Birth notice: Dorothy Markey - 14/06/1900 (f.) Edward John (m.) Eliza Grace Gregory (Grandfather) James Markey 1900/002679

Therefore the children of Edw. John MARKEY and  Eliza Grace  GREGORY should now read:
1. Ivy Grace Elizabeth b 11 Jul 1897 Unley Book: 606 Page : 330
2. Dorothy b 14 Jun 1900 Microfiche of Queensland Births 1900/002679
3. Edward Allan b 8 Jan 1903 Unley Book: 706 Page : 198

Dorothy was likely born at the property of James Markey, Esq., of "Foxwood," Domville, Queensland and stayed there some time.

She was likely buried in the grave of her grandfather's brother because she had been living in Adelaide and she was a young, single female. Perhaps her parents realised that by putting her father's name to their 'Darling Dorothy' inscription would have been confusing ... as it was to me ... since 'In memory of Edward John Markey Died March 16th 1886' but had the same name as her father.

EdWard48

Offline maxywalk

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 09:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, my name is David and I am doing research into The Retreat, Boondandilla in Qld. And especially about the history of residence of the property.

I am part of a group of mentors that take our Australian Veterans out to the homestead and conduct peer to peer support for them. I understand that Edwin Allen Markey disappeared into.the Bush and passed away. Any information about the history or links to the history would be greatly appreciated as we would love to share the family history of this beautiful place.

Regards
David