Author Topic: NELSON rail contractor 1830-1880  (Read 11679 times)

Offline esdel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: NELSON rail contractor 1830-1880
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 20 November 10 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant Monica!

I just knew that Ferrie was the clue!

I would NOT have followed the name NEILSON, had I found it.
I searched for Ferrie for ages!

Don't know how to find "Edinburgh marriage Parish entry in 1853", so I entered it as search-phrase in Google - and got sent back to our discussion!

Thanks to rootschat we are nearly there!
esdel
Bouch, Say, Marshall, Sproule, Turnbull,  Newby, Rouse, Curwen. Birdhope Craig

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 20 November 10 20:28 GMT (UK) »
I'd wait for more info Esdel, I am just taking guesses at this stage!

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk is the official pay to view site for images from the Old Parish Registers, BMDs and census images. It is pay to view, but costs are reasonable. You can register for free and do general searches on the databases. It only costs (via paid units) once you want to view search results and images.

You could also check first on www.scotsfind.org and their Edinburgh databases, although I am not sure if they have marriage dates up to 1853 but worth checking first.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 21 November 10 15:35 GMT (UK) »
Esdel, I have found a death certificate on scotlandspeople for Thomas Neilson, butcher. He was the son of Thomas & Margaret (nee Ferrie) Neilson. He died in 1859, at 257 West George Street, Glasgow. In 1851 census, amongst other children living with him is a 13 year old Margret. I think this may be the one you're looking for. In 1841 census Thomas is with his wife, Janet,in Buchanan Street.. There are no family with them.If you go on scotlandspeople, as previously recommended, you will be able to find out more about this family.
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 21 November 10 20:47 GMT (UK) »
I found Margaret & her siblings in 1841 census. They are at Cloch Ferry House, Inverkip, Renfrewshire. They are; Thomas,17,app.clerk, Annabelle 15, Christina 15, William 10, Margaret 8, John 6.  Thomas & his wife, Janet, are in Buchanan Street, Glasgow. Janet died before the 1851 census. From a submitted entry in I.G.I. I have a birthdate for Margaret of 7th March 1832. There is a marriage for Thomas & Janet (nee Bell) in Glasgow 15th November 1818.
flst

I have deleted 20 year old Jean.She appeared in freecen as Neilson but has a different surname on ancestry.
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline jo-rae-me

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 22 November 10 01:33 GMT (UK) »

Hi.  Im a little confused now.

Thomas Neilson, b. 1804.  Was a butcher?  I thought he was a railway contractor employing 1000 men.

Also I have his wife as Isabela Mary Sarah Craig. born in Carlisle.  Her father is James Craig.

These are the parents of Margaret Ferrie Ada Nelson....but that is not set in concrete of course.  But as Ive just mentioned...now Im confused.  lol

But of course, I am open to all suggestions too.

Glad to find out we are chasing the same family Esdel.  Thankyou for all your ground work you have already done.  Its a small world.  ...and with the invention of the internet, its getting even small.  :)

Sol we are pretty sure that Thomas Neilson/Nelson  was the son of Thomas Snr and his wife Margaret Ferrie.  That is where our Margaret Ferrie Ada Nelsons middle name comes from.  good Work!!! and thankyou.!!  But Im still confused as to her mother.  Also, not sure where I got it from but I have that Margaret Ferrie has a brother named James.    this is not set in concrete either.  ...its slow drying concrete.  lol.

Thanks everyone for you great work.  Perhaps we can nut this out yet.

Oh one last thing....the death date for Thomas Neilson/Nelson.  In the title, it mentions 1880, but one post says 1859.  More confusion for me .  :)

Kind regards
JRM.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 22 November 10 09:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi JRM 

Interesting family this one  :)

Just some comments from what we have seen on this thread here by esdel (there are a few other posts on this family).

We have been discussing two different Thomas Nelsons.

Not sure how the Thomas Nelson who married Isabella Mary Sarah Craig in Hampstead, London on 22 Dec 1839 came to feature as family to Margaret Ferrie Nelson (although he ticks lots of boxes by occupation etc in connection to Margaret's husband to be). This Thomas, with his new wife Isabella Mary, show in the Cumberland censuses from 1841 after their marriage, with their ever growing family. With the info that has been found here and Steve's confirmation from his death cert, we know this Thomas was chr. in Dumfriesshire to parents Francis and Mary (Todd) in 1807 and died in Scotland in 1890 (esdel has mentioned the error on the title which should have read 1890 not 1880 for this Thomas).

Regarding Margaret Ferrie Nelson, from the 1861 and 1871 Scottish Censuses, she gives her birth place as  Glasgow with a birth year c. 1832. The St Cuthberts Edinburgh marriage banns entry on 24 July 1853 (the style of these Parish entries for St Cuthberts was to include bride's father's name - many other parishes didn't at this time) gave her father's name as Thomas. The further entry in Glasgow on 28 July will either be a further reading of banns or the marriage entry itself. The two locations indicate the parishes where the groom/bride were resident at at the time of the marriage.

We have found a couple, Thomas Ne(i)lson and Margaret Ferrie who were married and having children in Glasgow in the early 1800s, including a son Thomas born in 1804 in Glasgow. It is this Thomas b. 1804 whom we are wondering if he has the father to Margaret Ferrie Nelson. Both Thomas Snr. and son Thomas look to have been fleshers by occupation. Thomas Snr. may have died in Glasgow in 1828 (there is an entry for him in the Wills & Testament section on Scotlands People to this effect). Son Thomas died in 1859 (there is also a Will & Testament entry for him in 1859 - looks like an Inventory) and there is a death cert which flst has seen to confirm his parents' names of Thomas and Margaret (Ferrie).

So, current thinking is that this Glasgow family may be Margaret's family. But you guys need more proof, at the very least (would be huge), an occupation for Margaret F Nelson's father or a Glasgow address that we can link back to the Glasgow Nelsons from the censuses. With all the research being carried out on this Bouch/Nelson line, has anyone actually looked at the images on line at Scotlands People for the banns/marriage in 1853? Certainly the Edinburgh one with the mention of father's name may also include an occupation for father/address (the St Cuthbert Parish Registers are particularly good). The Glasgow one may or may not (the problem with OPR entries  :-\) and you won't know until you look at the image on line whether any details are included regarding Margaret's father.

I've checked the Scotsman newspaper for a marriage notice and can't see anything. Also the Glasgow Herald may have carried something, but there are gaps on line for that year, 1853, and it is the ones that we needed to have checked.

JRM, given that Elizabeth Bouch b. 1855 is your direct line, have you viewed her birth entry on Scotlands People? 1855 was the first year of official registration for Scotland and for one year only, the entries on the registers ran over two pages and included a wealth of extra info.

That's as far as we have got to date.....

Monica

PS: flst, great census finds on the pontial children for Thomas b. 1804 and wife Janet  :) The only thing that worries me is that marriage date for Thomas Nelson and Janet Bell of 1818 (with Thomas b. 1804). Perhaps another marriage to a different Janet?

....added...flst, sorry, you have confirmed Janet Bell from the 1859 death cert I would imagine!

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 22 November 10 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Monica, Thomas Neilson died 26th January 1859. His age was given as 57.If he married in 1818 I agree he was young, but what was the legal age of consent then? 14?
As to who his wife was - I omitted to mention that the certificate said married , and no wife's name given! Strange, as his son John was the informant. It may be best to ignore the 1818 marriage info.for the moment. Esdel & JLM will be able to find Thomas's wife's name if they care to follow up Margaret's sibling's marriages!
flst

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 22 November 10 13:48 GMT (UK) »
There are two marriages would you believe for a Thomas Neilson and a Janet Bell in the Glasgow area!

The one that you have found in 1818 (banns/marriage showing in Glasgow and Dalziel, Lanarkshire) and then banns/marriage between a couple with these names on 20 SEP 1829 in Glasgow.

My money would be on the second given what we have for Thomas's age.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 22 November 10 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Re the death cert in 1859, what was the address?

The Nelson family entry for 1851 already showed Thomas as widowed, explains no mention of Janet on that entry.

There was a short period just post the start of official registration in Scotland in 1855 where for a couple of years, spouses names were not given on death certs, simply marital status of the deceased.

Monica