Author Topic: NELSON rail contractor 1830-1880  (Read 11681 times)

Offline jo-rae-me

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: NELSON rail contractor 1830-1880
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 05 December 10 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Dear Researchers.

You are the greatest help I have come across for this brick wall Ive had, and looks like others have had too.  (Esdesl for example).

I too was having a bit of a hard time desciphering all the different posts and which Thomas is the right Thomas.  Sometimes too much info is hard to work out.  I appreciate the 2 hours Esdel has put in to summarize the facts we have so far.  That helped me alot.

I must have read and re read this post a hundred times, and Ive written down all the info found by you wonderful researchers.  And the sources too where possible.

I do appreciate ANY and ALL monies spent by those who have helped with this family research.  I really wish we had free access to all these sources and records, but I suppose everyone wants to make a buck ...as they say.  But incase it has gone unsaid...BIG THANKYOU Flst and Steve.!!  You are both VERY kind.

Also Monica,...Your input into this thread has been a God send to me, but Im picking up on a "tone" in your last post.  Im sorry if there is more than one thread on Sir Thomas Bouch and his family.  I have only just discovered this site and am still discovering the threads here.  I personally am a single parent doing my best with the little I have, so every penny someone has helped me with on this research is most definitely, well recieved...and very gratefully recieved.  As I have offered, Im along way away "down under", but the internet does make the distance less, and if I can help anyone by looking up any records here in Australia, I am more than willing and most happy to do so.

Please dont be too hard on Esdel, they were just trying to do what Ive been trying to do for the past few days.   Summarize what we have learnt so far.

And Esdel, I too am most impressed with the professionalsim and the expertise that the researchers here have.  The wonderful researchers have found in a few days what I have had as a brick wall for a long time.  So Im MOST impressed.  Thankyou all very much for your time, your time, and your time.  Time is money these days, and your help has shown me that there still are those special people left int he world.  You are wonderful people and you are MOST appreciated. 

And Monica, thankyou for your time too.  Please dont feel cranky at me or Esdel, I may not be quite as smart or intelligent so I do get confused with so much info.  If maybe you could do a really quick summary for me,...and Esdel,...then that might help both of us fathom through so much info and so many possible parents.  I am a little confused right now, as to which Thomas is the right Thomas.  And which is the line to keep following.   And as always, your input is very much appreciated.

Thanks again everyone for your help here.  Sorry if Im a little dense, and am now a little confused, but if someone could look at what Esdel has summarized, and see if that is what I should be continuing my research on, that will certainly steer me...and Esdel ...in the right direction.

Merry Christmas to you all, and I hope you all have a truly wonderful Christmas.   8)  Hopefully not snowed in.
Thanks again everyone.
JRM

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 05 December 10 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi JRM

I am sorry if you are taking anthing of what I said in my last post personally, my comments were very clearly made to Esdel  :) The searches and research carried out followed esdel's posting. Really happy that you have found this thread that hopefully lets you fill in some of the grey areas in respect of Margaret Ferrie Nelson.

Have you looked at the Nelson connected posts that esdel has on RC?:

www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,496213.0.html
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,491554.0.html
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,496131.0.html
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,492408.0.html
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,492018.0.html

Regarding the Bouch line, esdel has just under 20 posts with extended Bouch lines. You can use the search facility here on RootsChat to see those (search button is top centre of the page).

It might be an idea if you and esdel could exchange personal emails via the PM service here on RootsChat so that esdel may be able to provide you with detailed research notes gathered to date.

Monica...who's v. seldom cracky   ;)

Edit: cracky or cranky for that matter  ;D

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jo-rae-me

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 06 December 10 01:00 GMT (UK) »
Dear Monica.
Thankyou for clarifying.

I was feeling a little let down, but you have set me straight.  thankyou dear.

I havent had a chance yet to follow the links you have provided., but I will shortly.
thankyou for those.

If its ok , I'll read all the posts.  And try and make a summary here shortly.

I guess since this has been a brick wall for me for ages, I just want to be sure I have it right.  So many posts and info makes it hard for me to work out which set of Thomas's and wives are the right set.  The name Margaret must have been quite popular.

So thanks again Monica. 

Kind regards
JRM

Offline Tim Williams

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 11 June 16 11:39 BST (UK) »
Thomas Nelson, Railway Contractor, (1808-1890)mayor of Carlisle 1851-1852,owner and rebuilder of Friars Carse country house near Dumfries, and whom the Nelson Bridge and Nelson Street are named after inCarlisle, is my Great Great Grandfather.
I have some info and photos of him and his wife Isabella, if there is interest!
Best regards
Tim

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 13 June 16 14:44 BST (UK) »
As to who his wife was - I omitted to mention that the certificate said married , and no wife's name given! Strange, as his son John was the informant.
Not strange, actually. From 1856 to about 1860, Scottish death certificates just gave marital status but did not name the spouse.

Edit: apologies, have just noticed that Monica had already said something similar.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline jillyflower41

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 11 November 16 23:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for you post re Thomas Nelson.  Just this morning I discovered information on his residence -
Friars Carse country home. He my 2nd great grandfather also.  I have been unable to find a death date for him or his wife Isabella MS Nelson. I am on Ancestry.ca and stumble on the roots message board and and was pleased to find your post. I would also be pleased to have a picture of Thomas and Isabella.
Thank you
Jillyflower41