Author Topic: *Gravestone photographic resource*  (Read 49595 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: *Gravestone photographic resource*
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 05 January 11 05:29 GMT (UK) »
That's great news Pat! I can see real potential in the site.

Offline Bagpuss_Janet

• RootsChat Member
  • Henry (Harry) Moon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 28 March 11 19:15 BST (UK) »
I've just discovered this site (I'm not sure if it has already been mentioned on Rootschat):

http://www.gravestonephotos.com/index.php

Is this site still working, or is it my computer? I've tried Firefox, Chrome and IE8 but I get a 404 error.  ???
BALL - Kent (and a bit of Essex!)
BELL - Suffolk
BENDALL - Somerset
DARTNELL - Kent
DOWNING - Yorks
DRIVER - Kent
GROVE - Staffs
LIVERMORE - Kent (and a bit of Essex!)
LOVELL - Kent, Somerset
MINDHAM - Yorks
MOON - Berkshire, Cumbria, Kent, Lancs, Somerset, Staffs
MORELAND - Ireland, Liverpool, Essex
WALKER - Suffolk, Norfolk, Kent
WALTER - Kent

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 28 March 11 21:04 BST (UK) »
I'm having trouble accessing also, get broken links. I can get lists of counties.

Offline Joyful

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My beautiful Mum & Uncle Neil
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 28 March 11 21:55 BST (UK) »
I can't access the site at all.

Joy
Anderson R&C & Orkney, Jack, Patience, Hood R&C, McVicar Argll & Glasgow, Gourlay Glasgow, Docherty Glasgow, McNicol Argyll, Leask Orkney, Cumming Okney,
Tait Orkney, Brown Orkney, Sinclair Orkney, Craigie Orkney, Foulis Orkney, Beard Gloucester & Bundarra NSW, Pamplin Cambridge & NSW, Ashman Cambridge, McCarthy Ireland & Glen Innes NSW, Raleigh Ireland, Connelly Ireland, Waldron Ireland.
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bagpuss_Janet

• RootsChat Member
  • Henry (Harry) Moon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 28 March 11 22:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply, guys. 

I was walking through the churchyard this afternoon and wondered about photographing the graves and uploading pictures somewhere - this sounded like the perfect place (find-a-grave is good, but very USA oriented, I think). 

Let's hope it's a temporary glitch.  :)
BALL - Kent (and a bit of Essex!)
BELL - Suffolk
BENDALL - Somerset
DARTNELL - Kent
DOWNING - Yorks
DRIVER - Kent
GROVE - Staffs
LIVERMORE - Kent (and a bit of Essex!)
LOVELL - Kent, Somerset
MINDHAM - Yorks
MOON - Berkshire, Cumbria, Kent, Lancs, Somerset, Staffs
MORELAND - Ireland, Liverpool, Essex
WALKER - Suffolk, Norfolk, Kent
WALTER - Kent

Offline meggylux

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 04 April 11 20:07 BST (UK) »
Re: Gravestone project:

I am an active volunteer. Yes the site was down for a few days as the founder was away on holiday. It is now up and runnng again.

Re: contributing photo's if you read the bit about volunteering in full it does say they are happy to accept just photo's uploaded to disc which they will endeavor to transcribe for uploading.

It may be a phaff, but this is a one man website, with a growing army of us volunteers.  If the person who has looked at offering photo's from their local churchyard wishes to put their photo's on disc and send to me in UK  or wants to email photo's to me, I will happily index and send on... Just message me.

As for the number of images and names, I think I am around 20,000 names of my own contributions, the currrent total number of names is approx 272.000 with over 120,000 images.

Remember this is a free resource, please keep returning as new cemeteries are uploaded regularly, there is also a 'list pending' advising of cemeteries that have been photographed or due to be photographed and where they are in the process.

If you wish to volunteer to take photos of your local cemetery (please do) or would like to help in other ways, eg indexing, promotion etc, take a look at the volunteer page. Just a bit of warning though.... it can become addictive.

meggylux

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 04 April 11 23:48 BST (UK) »
Meggy,

Thanks for letting us know that the site is up and running again, and for letting us know that this is a one man operation. Obviously something he does for love rather than money ...  ;)

Although Rootschat is also a free site run by volunteers I'm wondering if Trystan and Sarah would be willing to add this resource to their "news" bar at the top of the page for a time, or at least we could get the link to the Gravestonephoto site stickied in the resources section of rootschat. Maybe Gravestonephotos could reciprocate and add a link to rootschat on their site?

I'm sure people would be willing to contribute if they knew about it.  ;D

Offline meggylux

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 11:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruskie.

I know Charles has linked with other sites and is eager to promote the website. I understand from the site that it does feature in this monhs, Who Do You Think You Are magazine. If you wish to contact Charles direct there are contact links and details on the site.

Meggylux

Offline PhilBeeNZ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 10 May 11 23:38 BST (UK) »
I salute Charles and his work.
I found a photo on his site of my gt-gt-grandmother's stone (with associated family members enscribed too). It gave me an entire new branch to research!
Of course he can't and doesn't do it all on his own - just too big a job for one. There's a growing number of volunteers - I joined the team after this success, and have my first NZ cemetery photoed, collated and ready to send (yes, it's a labour of love but not difficult). My sister liked the idea so much that SHE's volunteered as well.
The knowledge, that someone somewhere sometime in the future may find a permanent photographic record of their ancestor long after the stone's deteriorated, is a great feeling.
The volunteers will have helped for the future, just as "someone somewhere" helped with my past.
Would you like to help too?

[ http://www.gravestonephotos.com/index.php ]

PhilBeeNZ
BRAITHWAITE/Durham; BEST/Durham; GELDART/Lancs.; HALSALL/Lancs.; LIGHTBOURN/Lancs.; LOCKLEY/Stafford.; HUDDLESTON(E)/Lancs.; POSTLETHWAITE/Lancs.; RALPH/Lancs.