Author Topic: STRACHAN Janet born Kilmarnock 1841  (Read 2946 times)

Offline Ed1946

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
STRACHAN Janet born Kilmarnock 1841
« on: Monday 22 November 10 00:40 GMT (UK) »
I have a photograph I believe to be of Janet Inglis nee Janet Strachan. The photo was taken in Queensland, Australia circa 1897.

Janet, the daughter of Peter Strachan and Ann Houston, married Alexander Inglis in Riccarton, Scotland in 1865 and she died in Brisbane, Australia October 29, 1906.

I am hoping to find a relative who may have a known photo of Janet so mine can be positively identified - can anyone help?

Regards, Ed

Offline JMStrachan

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: STRACHAN Janet born Kilmarnock 1841
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 January 13 17:02 GMT (UK) »
I'm afraid I can't help you with identifying the photo, but a Janet Strachan born 1841 is on my family tree. It's a side branch so I haven't done any research - finding out she migrated to Australia is a nice bit of new information. Was Alexander Inglis a miner?

I believe her father, Peter Strachan who married Ann Houston, was the son of Peter Strachan and the grandson of Thomas Strachan. I'm descended from Thomas Strachan through his son John.

Regards,
Judy
AYRSHIRE - Strachan, McCrae, Haddow, Haggerty, Neilson, Alexander
ABERDEENSHIRE (Cruden and Longside) - Fraser, Hay, Logan, Hutcheon or Hutchison, Sangster
YORKSHIRE (Worsbrough) - Green, Oxley, Firth, Cox, Rock
YORKSHIRE (Royston and Carlton) - Senior, Simpson, Roydhouse, Hattersley

Offline JMStrachan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 February 13 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ed

I got your pm but can't reply to it, so am posting a reply here. Yes, we’re very distantly related through Janet Strachan.

You can read about the early Ayrshire Strachans at my blog/web site at http://judyfamhist.wordpress.com

Janet was the 5th child of Peter Strachan, coal miner, and Ann Houston. Peter Strachan and Ann Houston married on 16 October 1829 at Kilmarnock. Ann Houston was the daughter of James Houston and Janet Mayne and was born 1811 in Kilmarnock.

Janet Strachan was born 13 September 1841 at Kilmrnock. in the 1851 ccensus at age 9 she’s with her parents and siblings at 2 Corsehill Square, Dreghorn. Her mother Ann Houston died in the early 1850s and her father remarried in 1856 at Riccarton to Elizabeth Clark.

Janet’s father Peter Strachan was the informant on the death registrstion of his nephew Robert Strachan, who died 9 November 1860 age 13 in a mining accident. The mine was at Hurlford and owened by Allan Gilmour, related to the Strachans by marriage, and where Peter Strachan’s brother Robert was the pit manager. Interestingly, in 1898 Robert Strachan won a prize given by a newspaper for being one of the oldest miners still working. He started his working life at the age or 7 or 8 at Moorfield Pit, which is no doubt how his brother Peter, father of Janet, started his mining life.

In 1861 Peter and Elizabeth Strachan were living in Loudon but daughter Janet isn’t with them. In 1871 they’re at New Cumnock and in 1881 at 32 Burnbank Row, Galston. Peter Strachan died 9 July 1881 at Burnbank Row, Galston age 71 years from congestion of the lungs.

Peter Strachan was born 31 December 1810 at Riccarton, the son of Peter Strachan, a coal miner, and Mary Monroe. The elder Peter Strachan was born  26 February 1784 in the parish of Irvine, son of Thomas Strachan and Susannah Alexander.

I’m descended from John Strachan, son of Thomas Strachan and Susannah Alexander. There’s more about them on my blog.

Regards,
Judy
AYRSHIRE - Strachan, McCrae, Haddow, Haggerty, Neilson, Alexander
ABERDEENSHIRE (Cruden and Longside) - Fraser, Hay, Logan, Hutcheon or Hutchison, Sangster
YORKSHIRE (Worsbrough) - Green, Oxley, Firth, Cox, Rock
YORKSHIRE (Royston and Carlton) - Senior, Simpson, Roydhouse, Hattersley

Offline Ed1946

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 February 13 03:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Judy,

Many thanks for your information and link to your website.

Regards,
Ed

Offline beeokee

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 September 17 06:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Ed

Janet Strachan is my 2 x Great Grandmother.

I was wondering if you were able to verify your photo you posted about, and is there any way I could see it? I won't be able to verify it either as I haven't seen any photos of her.

Many thanks
Belinda