Author Topic: Colligan to Collington Completed  (Read 2679 times)

Offline Robwbay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Colligan to Collington Completed
« on: Monday 22 November 10 11:38 GMT (UK) »
My Great Grandfather was Robert Russell Colligan Born in East Kilbride 18th September 1877 He Married Margaret Smith 26th July 1899 at Blythswood East Kilbride. They had  4 Children in the Lanarkshire area John Colligan Born 9th January 1900  Robert Smith Colligan Born 19th August 1901 William Russell Colligan Born 11th April 1903  and Mary Mcquat Colligan Born 17th August 1905.

Maggie Smith Colligan was born 5th November 1908 in Mains of Fowlis, Fowlis Easter. James Forrest Colligan & Nancy Fletcher Colligan Born January 1913. Nancy died 9th November 1913. The last child David Smith Colligan was born 29th August 1914.

My Grandfather Robert Smith Colligan Marries 10th June 1927 at Redgorton Manse Perthshire  the family name is now Collington the name change was applied to all the children and  is shown on most documents as " Formerly Colligan" Can anyone tell me if there would be any documentation showing when the name changed or would they just take that Name. Thanks

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Colligan to Collington
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 November 10 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi
From memory under Scots law you can call yourself anything you like and change your name anytime as long as it is not intended to defraud or to defeat the ends of justice. see link below.
 http://wapedia.mobi/en/Name_change#2.
Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline Robwbay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Colligan to Collington
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 November 10 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks BruceL for that. I Have looked for information on Name Changes in Scotland but did not find anything useful it doesn't look as though there will be any documentation to Find Thanks  Robwbay

Offline stjohnstone

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Colligan to Collington Completed
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 March 15 09:18 GMT (UK) »
My Great Grandfather was Robert Russell Colligan Born in East Kilbride 18th September 1877 He Married Margaret Smith 26th July 1899 at Blythswood East Kilbride. They had  4 Children in the Lanarkshire area John Colligan Born 9th January 1900  Robert Smith Colligan Born 19th August 1901 William Russell Colligan Born 11th April 1903  and Mary Mcquat Colligan Born 17th August 1905.

Maggie Smith Colligan was born 5th November 1908 in Mains of Fowlis, Fowlis Easter. James Forrest Colligan & Nancy Fletcher Colligan Born January 1913. Nancy died 9th November 1913. The last child David Smith Colligan was born 29th August 1914.

My Grandfather Robert Smith Colligan Marries 10th June 1927 at Redgorton Manse Perthshire  the family name is now Collington the name change was applied to all the children and  is shown on most documents as " Formerly Colligan" Can anyone tell me if there would be any documentation showing when the name changed or would they just take that Name. Thanks

My grandmother was Mary Mcquat Colligan, but she had also changed her name by the time she married in 1931. My mother says the name was changed because of its Irish connections, but I've no documentation to support this.