Author Topic: Andrew & Flora Gibson (nee Sleightholm)  (Read 3842 times)

Offline Vallie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Andrew & Flora Gibson (nee Sleightholm)
« on: Monday 22 November 10 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Searching for my great aunt Flora Cecil Gibson nee Sleightholm.  Sailed to South Africa with her brother Robert Sleightholm in 1903/1904, from Tasmania.

Both were teachers.  Flora married Andrew Hall Gibson in South Africa.  Andrew owned several shoe stores in Johannesburg.  Flora had sons and a grand daughter named Carol, these are the only descendants I am aware of. 

Flora died in Pretoria in 1946.

Vallie

Sleightholm, Tremayne, Conroy, Mitter,

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew & Flora Gibson (nee Sleightholm)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 November 10 08:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi I saw this message and thought it strange in that my mother is a descendant of a William Alborough born 15/12/1835 at Depwade Norfolk and died 13/4/1892 in South Africa.He married a Ann Elizabeth Sleightholm born 1846 at Sleights York and died 19/8/1877.He sailed with his father William senior to South Africa in 1850 with Bishop Colenso.

I wonder if Ann on our side would be related to Flora Sleightholm?

Regards Derek
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline Vallie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 November 10 09:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello Derek,

I am not sure if there is a relationship between the families.  Flora was born in Tasmania in 1882. Her father Robert Sleightholm was born in Scarborough 1831.  His father Isaac born 1795. Isaac's father named Robert.  Have not found a birth date for him as yet.

The Sleightholm family stayed around Scarborough except for Robert who immigrated to Tasmania, married and fathered 12 children the youngest being Flora.

South Africa seemed a popular destination for the Sleightholm family from Tasmania.  Two of the elder daughters nursed there during the Boer War.  Flora and her brother went there to teach as did another daughter later.  All returned to Australia except for Flora who as I said in my other post died there in 1946.

Flora's mother Jessie went there also from Tasmania in 1906 after her husband Robert died.

Perhaps there were other family members there which would have been an inducement. 

So your relative could have been a cousin.  We just dont know.

Regards,

Vallie.

Offline solenne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 September 14 18:17 BST (UK) »
Searching for my great aunt Flora Cecil Gibson nee Sleightholm.  Sailed to South Africa with her brother Robert Sleightholm in 1903/1904, from Tasmania.

Both were teachers.  Flora married Andrew Hall Gibson in South Africa.  Andrew owned several shoe stores in Johannesburg.  Flora had sons and a grand daughter named Carol, these are the only descendants I am aware of. 

Flora died in Pretoria in 1946.

Vallie

Offline solenne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 September 14 18:38 BST (UK) »
7th September 2014

Hello Valle,
Flora Cecil Gibson had 3 children, Brian, Eric and Patricia Flora Gibson.
Brian had 3 children, Brian, Jeffrey and Pamela.
Eric had 2 children Lindsay and Carol.
Patrica Flora had 3 children Frederick, Cecily and Desmond.
My husband's Mother was Patricia Flora Gibson, daughter of Andrew Hall Gibson.
We live in SA.
We are fascinated by the Tasmanian connection.
Solenne

Offline DaveGibson

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 August 18 20:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Valee & Solenne,

I have been researching my grandfathers family (the Gibsons of Lisgar townland, Bailieborough, Cavan, Ireland. Family records say two siblings Margaret, born 1876, and her brother Andrew Hall Gibson, born abt 1880, went to South Africa around 1900 and married a brother & sister Alex and Flo Sleightholm.

It seems possible we could agree the Andrew H Gibson & Flora C Sleightholm match.. Do you have any information on Robert Alex Sleightholm marrying Margaret? Did she return to Tasmania with him, separate or die?

Offline Vallie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 August 18 07:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Valee & Solenne,

I have been researching my grandfathers family (the Gibsons of Lisgar townland, Bailieborough, Cavan, Ireland. Family records say two siblings Margaret, born 1876, and her brother Andrew Hall Gibson, born abt 1880, went to South Africa around 1900 and married a brother & sister Alex and Flo Sleightholm.

It seems possible we could agree the Andrew H Gibson & Flora C Sleightholm match.. Do you have any information on Robert Alex Sleightholm marrying Margaret? Did she return to Tasmania with him, separate or die?

Hi Dave,

I am a great niece of Robert Alexander Sleightholm.  I can answer some of your questions.  My great aunt Flora and her brother Robert sailed from Tasmania to South Africa as both were teachers.  Arriving South Africa 17.11.1903. Both Robert and Flora returned to Tasmania.  In 1906 they sailed once more for South Africa with their mother Jessie as Jessie's husband Robert Snr. had died in Launceston Tasmania in 1905. Flora married Andrew in 1908.  Robert returned to Tasmania at some time.  Martha and Robert stayed in contact as on 29.9.1921 Robert and Martha married in Launceston at Chalmers Church  Her name on the marriage certificate is listed as Martha Gibson.  In 1944 Robert died in Launceston.  Martha who was also known as Patsy returned to South Africa where she died in Pretoria in 1960.   A small article in the Hobart Mercury from Martha.

Mercury   2.11.1945
TRIABUNNA.-Letters from Mrs. Sleightholm to friends' at Triabunna announce her safe arrival in Pretoria, South Africa, after a record trip on the liner Mauretania from Sydney to Durban in 13 days. Mrs. Sleightholm, who is making her home with relatives in Pretoria, is the widow of Mr R. A. Sleightholm, who was headmaster of the Triabunna school.

Do you have any photos of Martha & Robert and Flora & Andrew?  I would appreciate any information you can offer, such as marriage details for Flora & Andrew'

Vallie.

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 August 18 11:04 BST (UK) »
DEPOT     TAB                                                                   
SOURCE    MHG                                                                   
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
VOLUME_NO 0                                                                     
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE 4285/47                                                               
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          GIBSON, ANDREW HALL.                                                 
STARTING  19470000                                                             
ENDING    19470000                                                             
REMARKS   PREDECEASED SPOUSE FLORA CECIL GIBSON (BORN SLIEGHTHOLM).

Here is Andrews estate, you need a free account with Familysearch to view it. They had 2 sons William Brian and Eric Alexander and a sister Patricia Flora Hartje nee Gibson as mentioned. The estate can be seen at https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CS34-D9K7-N?i=1506&cc=2520237&cat=188051     
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 August 18 11:47 BST (UK) »
She died in a train en route to Pretoria. Here is her estate https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CS3M-Z2G5?i=708&cc=2520237&cat=188051