Author Topic: Comben history in Portland, Dorset  (Read 14890 times)

Offline jshaneman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Comben history in Portland, Dorset
« on: Tuesday 23 November 10 04:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello.
This is my first post and I am writing from British Columbia, Canada. I am writing to anyone that is or has information on the COMBEN line. I notice that there seem to be hundreds of them in the St. Georges Parish, Portland, and all with the given name of Bartholomew. I am a bit overwhelmed and was wondering if anyone has the lineage of the family so I can sort through the dates and names.
Thank you very much.
Cheers
John

ALLEN, COMBEN, POUNCEY, GEALL

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Comben history in Portland, Dorset
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

The Dorset OPC site  http://www.opcdorset.org has baptism, marriage and burial records for St. George's church, Portland.

The marriage records show the names of the witnesses, who might be family members.  Burial records often show a family relationship.

Using these you might be able to link up the various Comben families.

There are also some Combens in the MI (Memorial Inscriptions) list for St. George's.

Nanny Jan

Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alan o

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 April 11 12:47 BST (UK) »
My maternal line comes from Portland.  There were 4-5 large inter-related families - bartholomew, Combens, Moores, Stones etc.  They all inter married and the lineage is like a ball of wool.  Interesting they seem to have had the habit of using the mother's surname as a middle name.  I have lots of relatives with those surnames as a middle name.

Tracing your family line will be easy as they are all on Portland and rarely leave but also very difficult at the same time because of the inter-marraige and few surnames in use.

Offline alan o

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 May 11 19:58 BST (UK) »
My mother's line are the Moores and they all descend from one Moore who moved to Portland in the 1750s from Hinton St Parva.  His descendants marry into all of the big Portland families and the Combens are one of the biggest - I got lost in the 1700 with the number of Bartholomew Combens!  good luck

Offline TraSea

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 November 12 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi.
I have my family tree on Ancestry with over 3200 names. A lot of them are Portland Combens! Yes the Portlanders all intermarried and it's quite a lot of fun untangling them.
I have recently visited the
Portland Heritage Study Centre
Rear of St George's Centre
Reforne
Portland
DT5 2AN
Shirley is brilliant and will help you if you contact her on portlandheritage@gmail.com.
I purchased a very helpful CD called The Island & Royal Manor of Portland Historical Sources that has a lot of information including Reconstructed Portland Families.
Happy to help anyone with an interest. We must all be related somehow!

Offline jshaneman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 November 12 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I have a GG grandmother that came from Melcombe Regis, Dorset.
I found an old handwritten letter that had some of the names that are mentioned in the present topic.  I will send the letter here and if anyone can see a connection or relation that is theirs, then please contact me and I will share what I have too.

Anne Elizabeth Allen was born 24 Nov 1819 and died 26 Sept 1911 in Cape Vincent, New York.

ANNE  ELIZABETH ALLEN WAS BORN IN OR PROBABLY  MELCOMBE REGIS A SUBURB OF WEYMOUTH (DORSET, ENGLAND).
HER PEOPLE ATTENDED ST. MARY’S  EPISCOPAL CHURCH IN MELCOMBE REGIS.
A RELATIVE KEPT THE LION HOTEL THERE.  HER FATHER’S FATHER LIVED IN THE  VILLAGE OF CHESIL,  ISLAND OF PORTLAND, CAPTAIN OF HIS OWN SHIP.
 HE MARRIED ANN  COMBEN  WHOSE FATHER KEPT THE NEW INN ON THE HILL, ISLAND OF PORTLAND.
GRANDMA...
MOTHER’S NAME WAS ANN  GEALL  POUNCEY , GEALL AFTER HER GRAND?.... (?........) ON HER MOTHER'S SIDE.
HER FATHER’S NAME WAS EDWARD ALLEN (FURNITURE BROKER,  49 ST. THOMAS ST) HE DIED TWO YEARS AFTER COMING TO THIS COUNTRY OF DECLINE BURIED IN TORONTO’S  ST. JAMES CHURCH YARD.
HER BROTHER DIED OF CHOLERA AND BURIED IN SAME CHURCH YARD BUT NOT IN THE SAME PLACE.
ANNE ELIZABETH ALLEN BORN NOVEMBER 24TH 1819, WEDNESDAY EVENING AT 8:20 PM.  HER FATHER’S NAME WAS EDWARD ALLEN AND HER  MOTHER ANN ALLEN.  JOHN ALLEN WAS GRANDMA’S HUSBAND.

Thank you.
John

Offline Alc90

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 February 16 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello. I no this post was a long while back but thought I'd reply any how. Ive only just signed up on this site so not quite sure how everything works. I am from the comben line. My mother's maiden name is comben and our tree goes back to around 1864 so far. But I don't have access to this my self another family member does :)  I am from the comben and white family lines

Offline Claire duncan

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 September 16 14:32 BST (UK) »
The Spirit of Portland... brilliant book by Gary Biltcliff. Very interesting information re Portland families...following Combens back to Phoenicians.

Offline CarolynR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 07 August 17 03:46 BST (UK) »
My line is Comben and White from Portland. My first White descendant in the US was Bartholomew White, son of Thomas White and Barbara Comben (marriage 1715 at St. Andrew). I have US information on the Whites. Which are the best websites to learn more about Portland, the Whites, and the Combens?