Author Topic: Comben history in Portland, Dorset  (Read 14891 times)

Offline CarolynR

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Comben history in Portland, Dorset
« Reply #9 on: Monday 07 August 17 03:54 BST (UK) »
My lines are also Comben and White. Bartholomew White (1728-1809) is my first White ancestor in the US from Portland, Dorset. His mother was Barbara Comben. Her dad was Bartholomew Comben; his dad was Thomas White. Who are your White ancestors?

Offline Diana James

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 26 May 18 13:00 BST (UK) »
Hi -This is so interesting -I'm related to the Combens through my grandmother's grandmother I think - although my grandmother came from Lincolnshire. My grandmother's family name was Healey though. Both my mum - who comes from Weymouth - I do too although I live in London - and my grandmother talked about 4 Comben sisters and them being very tall and at least one of them living near to Victoria Square.  I remember looking up records over 10 years ago and found one of them had moved to Deptford in London (near where I live) to teach.

Offline combad

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 13 November 21 02:45 GMT (UK) »
To jshaneman,
I came across your posting after looking at loose links of potential relatives. I do know your posting was in 2010, and you had some responses to 2017.
I recently completed my Comben family ancestry, direct relatives to my 13th Great Grandfather in 1440. Most of the latter generations of my family came (father's side) came from Dorset. I can send you a copy of the direct lineage. I couldn't find direct links pre that, but I know the original Comben's came over with William the Conqueror in 1066 from France. Surname appears to have orginated from Comines in France. I live in Sydney Australia, but born in New Zealand. There were a number of my direct family were lighthouse keepers (Portland Bill) One was born, lived, married and died in the Portland Bill - occupation Superintendant of Lighthouses. I could never understand that prior to doing my ancestry, when travelling I had to visit lighthouses! Now I know.
So if you wish to contact me I can send you a copy. Regards

Offline Bodley_Fludes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 05 March 22 19:13 GMT (UK) »
My line is Comben and White from Portland. My first White descendant in the US was Bartholomew White, son of Thomas White and Barbara Comben (marriage 1715 at St. Andrew). I have US information on the Whites. Which are the best websites to learn more about Portland, the Whites, and the Combens?
Hello Carolyn
I have your Combens going a good way back from your ancestor if you still need that genealogy. Inevitably the White name recurs further back along the line. These are my own ancestors too so I would be glad of any downstream genealogy from Bartholomew, though I have quite a bit already (but I only know Bartholomew's wife as 'Alice'.)